No announcement yet.

WIFI at Koch Still Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Starbucks is to the East of the Arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
      LOL!!! Winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
        While I am a "stats" person, I don't even think of using my phone during a game. Nevertheless, you did not surprise me at all with your solution, AMS, to those getting poor service. If you were just making a funny, I apologize and will check my meter.

From the comments here, it appears that WiFi service is spotty in the arena. If this is not a problem in other like arenas, given that WSU wants to play with the big boys, it's something that should be addressed and solved. Given the money spent by season ticket holders (myself anyway), I would be upset if I didn't get equal service to others.

Comment

A game event takes roughly 2 hours of actual time, but the action on the court is just 40 minutes of that 2 hours. Internet isn't only for recreation, some of us actually use it for work, which looks different if you are a business owner or self-employed versus employee.

Personally, I don't so much care or need it, but the times I've tried to use either the native WSU wifi, or my Verizon service, I basically get the one finger salute from my phone. Neither works to much degree of reliability. Can text or take a phone call just fine, but LOL on data service.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
            When does AAC cash flow start kicking in? I know we had to forfeit a bunch and pony up some as well for membership. Maybe we're a bit stretched at this point in time.
            Excellent point.

Question I think I've asked before and if answered I just can't remember it. How do you get and pay for service (not just the internal access points and networking) that you need to accommodate no more than probably 100 users 99% of the time, and 8000 for 10 hours a month?

Comment

I would add this from a managerial perspective. If you check the SSIDs available, there are WAY too many different private networks to join, in my humble and totally unprofessional opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                A game event takes roughly 2 hours of actual time, but the action on the court is just 40 minutes of that 2 hours. Internet isn't only for recreation, some of us actually use it for work, which looks different if you are a business owner or self-employed versus employee.

Personally, I don't so much care or need it, but the times I've tried to use either the native WSU wifi, or my Verizon service, I basically get the one finger salute from my phone. Neither works to much degree of reliability. Can text or take a phone call just fine, but LOL on data service.
                Again, I appreciate (or not) all of the smart ass comments about streaming movies or Starbucks from the chuckleheads on this board, but you and I are exactly in the same boat. Sometimes you have to send an email that is work related, sometimes you just want to check the box score or follow social media. Can I live without it? Yes. Is crappy or no WIFI service the norm in college basketball arenas? Not even close, and I guarantee you I have been in more than 95% of this board. Between paying for SASO donations and season tickets, I don't think it is too much to ask that we have a service equal to or better than the schools from the conference we escaped from.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Excellent point.

Question I think I've asked before and if answered I just can't remember it. How do you get and pay for service (not just the internal access points and networking) that you need to accommodate no more than probably 100 users 99% of the time, and 8000 for 10 hours a month?
                  I don't know, but the other 200+ D1 schools that play in on campus facilities seem to have figured it out.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I don't know, but the other 200+ D1 schools that play in on campus facilities seem to have figured it out.
                    Because you have checked all the other 200+ D1 schools that average 10k attendance, and you're sure that's the case?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      The bandwidth is (at least used to be) supplied by KanRen. The campus has PLENTY of bandwidth to make thousands of Shocker crazies happy during games. (Whether the equipment and pipe delivering access to Koch Arena, specifically, is allowing the building to tap the campus' bandwidth potential is unknown to me.) If I was a betting man I would say the roadblock at this point in time is installing enough access points to provide enough connections to several thousand devices.

I will say that if we are going to host the U.S. Women's National Volleyball Team, it's going to be embarrassing on an international level if it isn't addressed.

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Again, I appreciate (or not) all of the smart ass comments about streaming movies or Starbucks from the chuckleheads on this board, but you and I are exactly in the same boat. Sometimes you have to send an email that is work related, sometimes you just want to check the box score or follow social media. Can I live without it? Yes. Is crappy or no WIFI service the norm in college basketball arenas? Not even close, and I guarantee you I have been in more than 95% of this board. Between paying for SASO donations and season tickets, I don't think it is too much to ask that we have a service equal to or better than the schools from the conference we escaped from.
                        I am glad you found my sarcastic quip to be to your liking.

I had nothing else to add. I dont quite understanding why they cant get it working either.

Comment

Was there any kind of consensus that during the last season, there was a time where the WIFI was really good? My memory could be poor.

Comment

there were times when the service was pretty good, but it was when the arena was mostly empty. gotta be a capacity issue.

iirc, illinois state and mo state had good wifi.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Because you have checked all the other 200+ D1 schools that average 10k attendance, and you're sure that's the case?
                              Do we really set the bar at the Missouri Valley level?

It can be done. It’s a matter of caring enough to do it. After nearly a decade of putting up with this, it appears the athletic department doesn’t really care, as long as they are cashing in those promo checks.

Maybe there’s something in the contracts that makes internet inadequate which forces masses to watch a mindless promo.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

I think you get my point. It shouldn't be that tough.

Comment

Working...
                                X