2019-20 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    For those that didn't watch. This was called a block ... Cumberland SHOULD have fouled out on this play.

That's a block or a no-call to me. It's certainly not defense. I would be more likely to call it a charge if Quinones slid to his left and Cumberland put his shoulder into Quinones. People forget that you don't have to be set for it to be a charge.

One angle and the responses on this board are 50/50 block/charge. Haha.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I would say a no call.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

That's a block or a no-call to me. It's certainly not defense. I would be more likely to call it a charge if Quinones slid to his left and Cumberland put his shoulder into Quinones. People forget that you don't have to be set for it to be a charge.

One angle and the responses on this board are 50/50 block/charge. Haha.
        When Cumberland takes off from the FT line for a layup and goes directly into a set defender ... that certainly isn't offense either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

When Cumberland takes off from the FT line for a layup and goes directly into a set defender ... that certainly isn't offense either.
          But he didn't. He went to the side and brushed him on the left arm/shoulder as Quinones was already falling down.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Attention ShockRef - please chime in at your convenience. Post #1990 & 1996. Thank you!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

But he didn't. He went to the side and brushed him on the left arm/shoulder as Quinones was already falling down.
              Gonna have to agree to disagree. It's a textbook charge. Can't go through someone like that. ANYONE but Cumberland gets called for a charge there. The ref even thought about it then changed his mind after realizing it was cumberland.

Comment

• I hate Cumberland more than anybody but that isn't even close to a "textbook charge". It's either a no-call or a block. I prefer it being a no-call because there was minimal contact. Cumberland didn't "go through" him. He went around him and nudged him on the side and Quinones fell over.

Cumberland gets away with a lot but that time wasn't one of them.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I don't know about this call and don't really care.

However, the foul call on Dexter against Cumberland (Cincy game), while technically correct (I"m not arguing the call), was not egregious in any way (there was bumping going both ways on the drive), and many referees swallow their whistles during the last 4 seconds of a game so that they don't press their thumb down on the scales of justice, and give a game to a team. Instead, they make the team earn the win the old fashioned way. That is the way the breaks go and it reminded me of the game we lost on a last second foul when we played VCU during our NIT Championship year. Maybe good things still go our way this year too.

IMO, because the bumping was going both ways, Cumberland received just a little bit of coddling during that drive at the end of the game.

Comment

• Feels like Cumberland has been playing for 6 or 7 seasons and we’ be only been in the American for 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                      Feels like Cumberland has been playing for 6 or 7 seasons and we’ be only been in the American for 3.
                      I hear Grant Gibbs just transferred from Creighton and will be eligible immediately at Cincy, finishing off his last five years of eligibility.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
                        Walton sure is one goofy announcer lol

should of seen him back in the day when he was calling games on NBA game pass where there were even less rules and guidelines. It was comedy gold.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                          Attention ShockRef - please chime in at your convenience. Post #1990 & 1996. Thank you!

WStateU,
                          Tough play to call, but agree with the block.
                          You need too understand the emphasis this year on flopping has been placed on ours shoulders. They want any form of it out of the game (this came as a direct request from the coaches and rules committee). We are now essentially penalizing any defensive player who flops or makes any attempt to deceive the official with a foul vs a flop signal. The flop signal will typically be used when it is obvious and no foul can be called.

That is all.
                          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• That should have been a no call or block. Probably a no call.
                            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                              That should have been a no call or block. Probably a no call.
                              But Stickboy is adamant it's a textbook charge!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

WStateU,
                                Tough play to call, but agree with the block.
                                You need too understand the emphasis this year on flopping has been placed on ours shoulders. They want any form of it out of the game (this came as a direct request from the coaches and rules committee). We are now essentially penalizing any defensive player who flops or makes any attempt to deceive the official with a foul vs a flop signal. The flop signal will typically be used when it is obvious and no foul can be called.

That is all.
                                Okie Dokie... we appreciate your input; we'll move along.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X