2019-20 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Are you sure? You may be comparing apples to oranges. Sampson has a much more experienced roster. It's not even close. Our team needs to have some time to grow without geniuses causing problems. Next year may be our year but Freshmen are Freshmen for a reason.
    Head to head match-up good enough for comparing apples to apples? Sampson record versus Marshall is 4-1. Lone Marshall win is 81-63 victory in the Roundhouse 1/4/18. Sampson beat Marshall at Houston 73-59 (Jan 2018); on neutral court 77-74 (Mar 2018); at Houston 79-70 (Jan 2019); at Wichita 65-54 (Jan 2020).

Sampson OU teams in 12 years played in a Final Four; an Elite 8; a Sweet 16 - in 5 seasons at Houston one Sweet 16 appearance.

Yes, I am fairly sure Sampson is a better coach than Marshall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Head to head match-up good enough for comparing apples to apples? Sampson record versus Marshall is 4-1. Lone Marshall win is 81-63 victory in the Roundhouse 1/4/18. Sampson beat Marshall at Houston 73-59 (Jan 2018); on neutral court 77-74 (Mar 2018); at Houston 79-70 (Jan 2019); at Wichita 65-54 (Jan 2020).

Sampson OU teams in 12 years played in a Final Four; an Elite 8; a Sweet 16 - in 5 seasons at Houston one Sweet 16 appearance.

Maybe your handle should be Cougar1976.

Comment

• Also included a bunch of NCAA violations.

Comment

Don't bite the messenger. He is just quoting facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Don't bite the messenger. He is just quoting facts.
            I'm not going to bite him, just point out that he is cherry picking to the nth degree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
              Also included a bunch of NCAA violations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/23/s...23indiana.html
              A key item missing in 1976’s piece.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Yeah 1976 you might want to become a buzzard fan since you idolize cheating coaches. Sampson has been run out of 2 different places for cheating but you seem to be sure he’s better than our coach. You’re sucking as a fan right now.

Comment

Umm, did you forget about Sampson's SEVEN years at Washington State? Best finish 4th. Take a little deeper look at what 3G did at Winthrop - especially his last couple of years - nothing short of amazing. He won as many NCAA tourney games there as Sampson did in his first 4 years at Houston.
                  Sampson did win 74% of his games at Indiana but was run out mid-season.
                  He coached at OU where you did probably have to finish in the top half of your conference to make it to the dance. Marshall finished 2nd in the Valley twice and had to go to the NIT. Sampson had the luxury of the exposure and resources of a Big 8/12 team for 12 years and won half of his NCAA tourney games when he got there. In 12 years at WSU Marshall has a higher NCAA tourney win % and only two fewer wins while recruiting from an MVC team for most of that time.
                  The NIT comparison isn't a comparison...Marshall has gone 3 times, won it once, made it to the semis another. Sampson has gone 4 times to the NIT and won a total of 2 games, all with Power 6 schools.

The head-to-head comparison is just kind of ridiculous. Your buddy Dana Altman beat 3G coached teams 3 of the first 4 games they played each other. I'll save you the embarrassment - Altman is not the coach Marshall is. If you want to go recent head-to-head then Marshall is a better coach than Mark Few, Jamie Dixon, Thad Motta, and your other buddy Bill Self since Marshall beat all of them on the biggest stage.

Sampson is a heck of a coach, but we have a better one.
                  Last edited by Teddy Graham; February 3, 2020, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Guys I gotta say, I don't know what goes through some people's minds. Some comments that past couple of weeks about "Marshall has no idea how to attack a zone", "Kelvin Sampson is a better coach", "Jamie scored 13 in the first half but only 3 in the second so Frank Haith outcoached him"...these are just, umm, below-average comments. Are people just jealous of how much $ he makes? Is it passionate fans hurting from a close loss? Taylor points out we hit 2 out of 16 "wide open" threes, we are playing on the road at the hottest team in the conference, we have a significantly younger team, and we lose on a last second three after the guy takes an extra step. We are 17-4, until the last game we were ranked 23rd, and in somehow it's Marshall's "fault". Unbelievable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Are you sure? You may be comparing apples to oranges. Sampson has a much more experienced roster. It's not even close. Our team needs to have some time to grow without geniuses causing problems. Next year may be our year but Freshmen are Freshmen for a reason.

WSU/Marshall
                      True Fr. 5
                      True So 5
                      True jr. 2
                      True Sr.1

HU/Sampson
                      True Fr 2
                      RFr 1
                      True So3
                      R Sop 2
                      True jr 1
                      R jr. 3
                      RSr. 1
                      There's a reason why WSU ha so many Fr and So's, It's not like it was something Marshall had no control over. You could see this situation coming years ago.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Marshall's NCAA tourney record at WSU is heavily skewed by the fact that there was an NBA All-Star PG and an NBA SG here for 4 years. For two of those years there was an NBA PF on the team.

I may have this wrong, but as near as I could find it looks like Marshall's WSU record in the NCAA tourney is 1-2 when Ron Baker and Fred VanVleet were not on the roster.

Linstead and Jones were worthless as recruiters. Waterman seems much better, so maybe we can get some talent here again. Defense wins games, but when you play another team with that emphasis, you need an offense.

Either the entire team, other than Echenique, hit a wall or Marshall's coaching style has destroyed the confidence of the very young team he's got this year. The collapse of this team after giving up 9 points in 65 seconds at UConn has been epic. It's hard to fathom the difference in this team before and after UConn.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Aargh, dumbest rationale I’ve ever heard. His record is skewed by the NBA shooting guard (that he took a chance on and persuaded to walk on) and the NBA all star ( that he spotted first in the rough) and the NBA power forward (that Marshall recruited); all of whom have credited Marshall with their development. Every great coach has great players that you say “skew” the results. To borrow a line from “A Few Good Men” Galactically stupid. Congratulations. Jump in the warm water with other entitled b&$ches. Wow!

Comment

• Originally posted by Teddy Graham View Post
                            Guys I gotta say, I don't know what goes through some people's minds. Some comments that past couple of weeks about "Marshall has no idea how to attack a zone", "Kelvin Sampson is a better coach", "Jamie scored 13 in the first half but only 3 in the second so Frank Haith outcoached him"...these are just, umm, below-average comments. Are people just jealous of how much $ he makes? Is it passionate fans hurting from a close loss? Taylor points out we hit 2 out of 16 "wide open" threes, we are playing on the road at the hottest team in the conference, we have a significantly younger team, and we lose on a last second three after the guy takes an extra step. We are 17-4, until the last game we were ranked 23rd, and in somehow it's Marshall's "fault". Unbelievable.
                            Post of the day. You just saved me a bunch of time saying exactly what I was going to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              Marshall's NCAA tourney record at WSU is heavily skewed by the fact that there was an NBA All-Star PG and an NBA SG here for 4 years. For two of those years there was an NBA PF on the team.

I may have this wrong, but as near as I could find it looks like Marshall's WSU record in the NCAA tourney is 1-2 when Ron Baker and Fred VanVleet were not on the roster.

Linstead and Jones were worthless as recruiters. Waterman seems much better, so maybe we can get some talent here again. Defense wins games, but when you play another team with that emphasis, you need an offense.

Either the entire team, other than Echenique, hit a wall or Marshall's coaching style has destroyed the confidence of the very young team he's got this year. The collapse of this team after giving up 9 points in 65 seconds at UConn has been epic. It's hard to fathom the difference in this team before and after UConn.
                              John Wooden’s record must be really skewed then Let’s remove him from the Hall of Fame.

Comment

• I’ll just add the Houston was a dumpster fire when Sampson took over. It took him a few years to get better players and a system in place. He’s got them in a much better place now and is brining in better recruits than 3G. The only thing he doesn’t have is a fan base like WSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X