No announcement yet.

2019-20 Annual "Redshirt" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The guy name Pesik on the American Conference Board that talked about Sherfield is not credible in my opinion. His prediction doesn't mean jack. He doesnt know anything about the shockers. He said Sherfield was the only player on the shockers that could get his own shot. Really?

I absolutely like how Sherfield played in the exhibition game but let's not go overboard. It's one ****** game against a Div. 2 opponent. Although many of us are encouraged by what we saw in the exhibition, its a long season with so many more games to be played before we start declaring post season honors.Sherfield may end up making the all freshmen team but making lofty predictions after one exhibition game is ridiculous.

Also it seems clear to me that JBurton did not start because he had been out for a week after having 5 teeth pulled. And Burton''s play in the game of 14 points , 6 assits, and no turnovers does not indicate to me that he should not be our starting pg. He has the experience and the mojo. The fact that this guy wants to compare Sherfield to that arrogant punk Rob Gray that played for Houston tells me a lot about his state of mind. Rob Gray from Houston was nothing but an arrogant, spoiled ball hugger, gunner that cried like a baby every time somebody touched him on the court.

History has shown that guys like Pesik expressing opinons about our players or team without really knowing our team are worthless. Go shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
      Has to sit out...except now they tend to allow immediate eligibility
      to most schools not named WSU

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
        The guy name Pesik on the American Conference Board that talked about Sherfield is not credible in my opinion. His prediction doesn't mean jack. He doesnt know anything about the shockers. He said Sherfield was the only player on the shockers that could get his own shot. Really?

I absolutely like how Sherfield played in the exhibition game but let's not go overboard. It's one ****** game against a Div. 2 opponent. Although many of us are encouraged by what we saw in the exhibition, its a long season with so many more games to be played before we start declaring post season honors.Sherfield may end up making the all freshmen team but making lofty predictions after one exhibition game is ridiculous.

Also it seems clear to me that JBurton did not start because he had been out for a week after having 5 teeth pulled. And Burton''s play in the game of 14 points , 6 assits, and no turnovers does not indicate to me that he should not be our starting pg. He has the experience and the mojo. The fact that this guy wants to compare Sherfield to that arrogant punk Rob Gray that played for Houston tells me a lot about his state of mind. Rob Gray from Houston was nothing but an arrogant, spoiled ball hugger, gunner that cried like a baby every time somebody touched him on the court.

History has shown that guys like Pesik expressing opinons about our players or team without really knowing our team are worthless. Go shocks.
        As a team, we played much better in our first game against a Div. 2 opponent, unlike last year when we squeaked one out. We will see more in the next week against a Div. 1 opponent although I'm not sure how good Neb. Omaha is. We've had a couple of past players who successfully transferred to Neb. Omaha so they very likely have some quality players.

I don't know anything about a guy named Pesik. However, GM said after our last game that he was happy with both Grant and Jamarious' play in the exhibition. He went further to say that the two point guards complemented each other with their styles of play. He said that JB wasn't a typical point guard but his unorthodox point guard style was still very effective at getting to the rim/scoring, and rebounding. With satisfaction, he remarked that together they scored 30 points, and mentioned their numbers in rebounding, and assists as being good.

He probably said more that I left out but from his words, he definitely seems to plan on playing both going forward.

From my own perspective, JB did play some 3 spot behind Dexter. Going forward, how much 3 JB will play, how many minutes GS will play at the point, and how he will fit in our other east coast point guard who is injured for a while remains to be seen, but GM seemed to have a lot of confidence in Grant Sherfield and Tyson Etienne for that matter.

Comment

Having thought about it some more, I will add this. If 3G has 13 healthy scholarship players who can protect the ball, rebound, and play defense, he's going to play them. One of the points he made post game was that the Shocks just wore out the Riverhawks. Just imagine, if you will, that Noah is healthy and is a ball hawk, relentless defensive stalwart and runs the offense the way Gregg wants. Having three PGs who can spell one another every three to four minutes would put tremendous pressure on the opponent, few of whom can roll out more than eight or nine players any given night.

And it's not just at the 1. We have a lot of depth. Listening to the newcomers talk about how they're all about team and will do whatever Coach asks them to do lends me to believe that we may be wearing out a lot of opponents in the 2nd halves of games this season. So while I voted that NF and JB might be the candidates for the RS this year, it was based on their health (as much as I know based on public statements) more than anything.

Let's get this season rolling.

Comment

13 guys that can play, maybe. Playing 13 guys, never happen.
            Last edited by pinstripers; November 1, 2019, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Say what you want about Gray, but that man bun wearin’ dude could flat out play. I also liked his nasty side. He struck me as a player that you love if he’s on your team, but hate if he’s on the other.

Comment

I don't hate Rob Gray. I just think he was overrated and not as good as some claimed. He had some great games against the shocks but played against some of our weaker defensive guards. No disrespect to Connor F. Landry S. Austin R or CJ Keyser but those guys were not noted for their tough defense. I doubt if Gray has the kind of games he had against us if he is being guarded by Fred, Tekle, Baker, Armstead, Joe R and Touree.

I said he was a crybaby because of what I consistently saw in his demeanor on the court. I will not forget that during our 1st game against Houston in Koch Arena that I saw Kevin Sampson waive his arms at him and basically told him to shut up and go sit down after crying about how the game was going. As we know the shocks dominated Houston that day but Houston has won every single game since then. I hope things change this year.

Comment

Here is my take. JB has great potential but is very raw right now. Probably won't get many minutes once JE can run. IMHO the
                  best thing he could is RS. NF sounds like he is going to be a good PG but he will be far behind Burton and Sherfield in many respects.
                  Again, I think it is best for him to take the RS. For me it is a common sense decision. Having said that it would be wonderful if either one
                  proved me wrong - I just don't think it is in the cards THIS season.

Comment

I don’t know why we can’t make redshirt decisions as the season goes on. Is the 5-10 minutes against Little Sisters of the Poor really that valuable as far as development goes? I’m looking at Asbjorn’s freshman game log and he obviously never saw action when we “needed” him. If we don’t “need” someone and a redshirt is possible, don’t play them. Maybe we’ll need them after injuries like we did with Rauno. If that happens then said player unfortunately missed out on 5 minutes of development against UMKC. I don’t see that as being the end of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                      Here is my take. JB has great potential but is very raw right now. Probably won't get many minutes once JE can run. IMHO the
                      best thing he could is RS. NF sounds like he is going to be a good PG but he will be far behind Burton and Sherfield in many respects.
                      Again, I think it is best for him to take the RS. For me it is a common sense decision. Having said that it would be wonderful if either one
                      proved me wrong - I just don't think it is in the cards THIS season.
                      Plus JoB has been banged up. HCGM said in the Gregg Marshall Show this past Monday that he had a laundry list of problems including a shoulder, shin, and big toe.

Comment

Having thought about it some more, I will add this. If 3G has 13 healthy scholarship players who can protect the ball, rebound, and play defense, he's going to play them. One of the points he made post game was that the Shocks just wore out the Riverhawks. Just imagine, if you will, that Noah is healthy and is a ball hawk, relentless defensive stalwart and runs the offense the way Gregg wants. Having three PGs who can spell one another every three to four minutes would put tremendous pressure on the opponent, few of whom can roll out more than eight or nine players any given night.

And it's not just at the 1. We have a lot of depth. Listening to the newcomers talk about how they're all about team and will do whatever Coach asks them to do lends me to believe that we may be wearing out a lot of opponents in the 2nd halves of games this season. So while I voted that NF and JB might be the candidates for the RS this year, it was based on their health (as much as I know based on public statements) more than anything.

Let's get this season rolling.

Comment

Marshall did comment in the postgame that, if healthy, he'd like to extend on defense more often this year.

Comment

It's been said many times that there's no way to pull off a 12 or 13-player rotation. That could be because nobody's ever tried it - probably because nobody's ever had the personnel to attempt it.

Marshall has done well with the 3-headed monster in the post, so it is possible to use more than 2 players in the same position.

If the personnel are there to play 13 deep, and if everybody got equal minutes, then everybody would get a little over 15 minutes. Since there will always be some who are the best option, then the end of a 13-player rotation would be getting in the range of 6 or 7 minutes a game. That's probably enough minutes to keep all but obvious career role-players fairly happy with their PT, if theire PT is on a winning team and they understand their contribution to that success is important.

That would seriously impact the freshness of the players in the latter parts of games and the latter parts of the season.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Maybe Nolan Richardson at Arkansas, with his "40 minutes of hell"

Comment

It’s more likely we’ll have a 10 player rotation with the other three getting court time early in the season but losing minutes as the season rolls into conference play and Marshall figures out the best rotation based on opponent. Even a 10 player rotation will wear down the majority of our opponents and Marshall has won a lot of games here with a similar approach Back in the MVC days. He’s starting to get the top-flight athletes to do the same in the AAC.

Comment

Working...
                                X