Wichita State vs. Northeastern State (Oklahoma) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

Even his body would not work in today's NBA. Maybe 10 years ago, but not today.
    I think Steven Adams is one example of that not being exactly true.

Comment

• AM might not be a future NBA player but I'd bet he plays pro over seas if he wants. He is a valuable player on our team
      who knows his role. We need him ! Look at his stats from last season. He and JE battled evenly in the team scrimmage.
      Glad we have them BOTH.

Comment

• He is too gentle right now

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

Even his body would not work in today's NBA. Maybe 10 years ago, but not today.
          I can see him banging against a guy like Steven Adams in OKC. He’d have to move a heck of a lot faster though.
          I bet he’s a great kid. His genetics are rare. He should use them.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
            -I’m trying not to get too hyped. What I’ve seen so far, albeit in a scrimmage and vs an overmatched opponent, has me very excited for this season.

-Bilau. Wow. I understand the desire to redshirt him but I just don’t see how you could. He has the potential to be a freaking nightmare on defense and the boards. He might not have corralled many but I came away from the scrimmage impressed by how hard he pursued the ball on rebounds. He was almost always right there with a chance to grab it. In the exhibition that turned into results. I swear he had like 4 boards in 30 seconds of game time. His size and agility on defense could be a game changer as I think he can legit guard 1-5 ala Draymond Green (except he’s taller). Any offense is a plus and he showed a shot and good vision out of the post on an assist to Tyson.
            Judging by the comments many of us have made, and many of us old timers (or at least long-time Shocker fans), the enthusiasm is warranted, even though we all recognize this was just an exhibition game. It's just really apparent how much more advanced this batch of newcomers is. But it also seems they've bonded quickly and have committed to one another unlike previous teams. Marshall is clearly a doctor of chemistry.

I wrote that I think Bilau is a candidate for a redshirt. I based that more on 3G's comments after the game and the fact that it sounds like Bilau has some lingering injuries he's dealing with. And I admit that I hate the thought of two really large classes that are going to put us in a situation in a couple of years similar to last year so I'm advocating breaking up the class. But jeez, you guys are right, even with the limited amount of basketball that guy has played, he's definitely got some raw skills. That steal in the 2nd half that he bounced off of the Riverhawk was a pretty athletic and high BBIQ thing to do for a frosh. Let me go on record and say that I'm most definitely okay with no redshirts this year.

Comment

• NM. Wrong thread.
              Last edited by Rocky Mountain Shock; October 31, 2019, 03:39 PM. Reason: I'm stoopid.
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post

And I admit that I hate the thought of two really large classes that are going to put us in a situation in a couple of years similar to last year so I'm advocating breaking up the class.
                Valid concern with the massive class size. It was less than ideal but I think there are a couple things worth mentioning. If Landry hadn’t left early and Austin didn't transfer I think we would have seen fewer struggles last year. And to that point, random things happen. Guys declare for the NBA, unexpectedly transfer, etc. Maybe I’m being too optimistic but it’s possible one or more of these guys develop to the point that they aren’t here all four years. In that case the class sizes sort themselves out. Of course red shirting is a option as well and I’m not opposed to anyone taking one if that’s their decision. I’m just more likely to lean towards preferring “all hands on deck” to try and make the most of this year, especially with the talent we seem to have coming in (hopefully on a consistent basis).

Comment

• Hope I am not too optimistic but IMO more than a couple of these underclass scholarship athletes could move on before their senior year.

Comment

I’m a Midtgaard fan but I don’t believe the two can be compared in any way. I also don’t see how a Midtgaard red shirt would have benefited anyone.
                    his improvement once he received consistent minutes last year was dramatic. Having him waste a year with four seniors ahead of him was pointless.

Comment

• Here's something to think about if a player redshirts. Who do you not end up getting?

For example lets say Grady doesn't get hurt in the thanksgiving tourney a few years ago and Nurger doesn't have to burn his redshirt making him a senior last year. Who do we not get? MU, PB, or JE and how does that affect this year?
                      Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Valid concern with the massive class size. It was less than ideal but I think there are a couple things worth mentioning. If Landry hadn’t left early and Austin didn't transfer I think we would have seen fewer struggles last year. And to that point, random things happen. Guys declare for the NBA, unexpectedly transfer, etc. Maybe I’m being too optimistic but it’s possible one or more of these guys develop to the point that they aren’t here all four years. In that case the class sizes sort themselves out. Of course red shirting is a option as well and I’m not opposed to anyone taking one if that’s their decision. I’m just more likely to lean towards preferring “all hands on deck” to try and make the most of this year, especially with the talent we seem to have coming in (hopefully on a consistent basis).
                        That's a scenario that I haven't given much thought to, probably because it's been a rare thing for us to experience up to this point. Landry's decision to leave early certainly led to our larger class size and there seems to be speculation that Dexter may be our next NBA "casualty" and his leaving would certainly change things. I'm guessing that there are some here who think we may have a couple more on the roster who may leave early as well. I'm torn. I'd like to think we have that kind of talent on the team but I also like Shocker teams that are made up of three and four year guys who just manhandle the Kentuckys and Louisvilles of the world.

Comment

• It would be nice to hear the coaching staff's philosophy on recruiting: do they recruit with expectations of redshirting? Do they expect a certain number of players each year to "change", either declare, leave, transfer, drop out, etc.? Knowing that philosophy may help me understand the options they're looking at for this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                            It would be nice to hear the coaching staff's philosophy on recruiting: do they recruit with expectations of redshirting? Do they expect a certain number of players each year to "change", either declare, leave, transfer, drop out, etc.? Knowing that philosophy may help me understand the options they're looking at for this year.
                            Can't speak for coaches, but I'd say current recruiting doesn't include expectations for redshirting like it might have in the MVC days. Looks like the staff is looking for players that can make an immediate impact.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I don't think Dexter is ready and prob not an early entrant. He has size and skills but he needs a lot of work on his ball handling. Landry showed the scouts a lot by running PG in college which showed he had really good ball skills to go with his shooting. Dexter is still a little stiff in this regard.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                                It would be nice to hear the coaching staff's philosophy on recruiting: do they recruit with expectations of redshirting? Do they expect a certain number of players each year to "change", either declare, leave, transfer, drop out, etc.? Knowing that philosophy may help me understand the options they're looking at for this year.
                                The coaches recruit players that they think can help the team right away. They don't recruit kids to sit the bench, some kids just can't win minutes for various reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X