No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. Northeastern State (Oklahoma) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wade has all the same experience and skills as Teddy without the personality concerns. He’s gonna be great for this team.

Comment

The ball moved, no sticky fingers and nobody hit the floor except on purpose. A big win against an over-matched team but that's what's supposed to happen. Gregg can work with these guys. The light, early schedule will prove most beneficial with this group.
      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

A good game for the shocks. A lot of things to be encouraged about. But some things to work on. I think Coach and Taylor E. capture those issues in the articles in the newspaper. Go Shocks.

Comment

We are still young, but a very talented team. Our Coaches did a great job recruiting. The new recruits must contribute for this team to Dance. Wow, they look solid. Games will become much tougher than this game, but areas of weaknesses needing improved have been addressed with this impressive group of recruits. We were even missing 3 more players due to injuries. JE could be our best player this Season, so I hope he heals up fast and injuries won't be an issue sooner than later. Early on, I feel like we will be a bubble team in terms of Dancing. As I see such a talented influx of new talented players, our Season looks brighter. Better shooters, great depth, and high octane energy levels will make these Shocks a handful to defeat. Another exciting Season of Shocker hoops to come.
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
            Erik was much better driving the ball tonight. His three point shot looks so good and does everything except go through the net. If he can get some of those to fall it is much more one sided last night. Sherfield was dynamic tonight and flashy as were almost all the Shox. Bigs had some early game jitters but things seemed to even out after the initial mishandles. The team looked good especially with so many different combinations of new guys and "old" guys. Not sloppy for the great majority of the last 30 minutes that can happen in games like this. Coach showed typical game manner in that when he was displeased with the play of his guys let them know in body language, sideline gestures and emphatic one on one talks. In fact I think he is already in mid season form. Good feeling leaving the arena tonight and not the usual MEH after an exhibition game. Go Shox
            Oh, my goodness!!! His timeout after the easy inbounds layup was one of his classics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

1. AM and Poo ain't gonna like the film session
              2. DD didn't do much except defend
              3. ETN and Jobu are more athletic than and Shockers that I have seen
              4. Gordon needs a redshirt year to build his body but he'll play instead
              5. Crowd was...….8,500? Pitiful
              6. Sherfield appears to be a star
              7. ES is leaner, harder, and still can't shoot
              8. Trey Wade (#S) is 6'6" maybe, but has a great motor
              9. We gonna look good in the airport

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Oh, my goodness!!! His timeout after the easy inbounds layup was one of his classics!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                It sure was and who missed the assignment? First thought it might be Sherfield he was chewing on; I don't think he went back in after that. On second thought, not sure it was him; guess coach Marshall could have directed the chewing towards the point guard that was on the floor at that time. "You have to be a team leader and make sure everyone knows who they're covering on an inbounds play."
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

It sure was and who missed the assignment? First thought it might be Sherfield he was chewing on; I don't think he went back in after that. On second thought, not sure it was him; guess coach Marshall could have directed the chewing towards the point guard that was on the floor at that time. "You have to be a team leader and make sure everyone knows who they're covering on an inbounds play."
                  I think it was Sherfield. I saw ETN getting on him as they walked toward the bench.

Comment

Sherfield gave a very good first radio postgame interview.

I liked that he said Monday's film session was "Welcome to Wichita State" for the freshmen, but that they were here exactly because they knew the coaches would make them better.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

That timeout was vintage Marshall and is an example of what makes him a great coach. He didn't need a timeout and many coaches would let it pass. But GM was not going to allow that error to pass and not set an example. A player will not fall asleep for even an instance on a GM coached team. The little things are always important and is a big part of what sets him apart from other coaches.

Comment

• I'm trying hard to keep in mind this was an exhibition.

I'm sure there will be times when the freshmen look like freshmen, but it wasn't last night.

Sherfield looked every bit of the top 50ish recruit UCLA originally signed.

I didn't know what to expect from Gordon, but I REALLY liked what I saw. He seems to understand what his role needs to be right now and doesn't try to do too much.

Poor Bear played better than AM. That really surprised me.

I don't know why that surprised me. AM is at his best when the other team also has a giant center. Against smaller teams he has problems imposing his will. Is he afraid of hurting them?

We need MU and JE back asap. Heal up quick you two!

Erik will find his shot. But I kept saying that about Frankamp too.

TE does not need help finding his shot. His shot follows him around like a shadow.

DD didn't have to impress last night, but I wish he would have anyway.

Bilau needs to redshirt. No question. But there is A LOT to work with here. To find his ceiling you'd need to carry supplemental oxygen with you.

The rebounding (or lack thereof) in the first half frustrated the hell out of me. It served as a reminder that even though this team has the capability of playing beautiful unselfish fast paced basketball, it's still young and immature. As someone else said, expect to lose a game or two that we should have won. I also think we're going to win a lot of other games.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          Sherfield gave a very good first radio postgame interview.

I liked that he said Monday's film session was "Welcome to Wichita State" for the freshmen, but that they were here exactly because they knew the coaches would make them better.
                          His interview was good. I liked his line: "GM does a good job of creating adversity in practice" Funny, Never heard it put so accurately and politely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

His interview was good. I liked his line: "GM does a good job of creating adversity in practice" Funny, Never heard it put so accurately and politely.
                            Preternatural. On all levels.

He gon' be good!!!

Comment

• So, best to my recollection, we haven't had 2 basketball ready freshmen this good since the early 80s.

Gregg has done a fantastic job of recruiting "up" while still finding young men that fit this program and can play for him. Clearly not everyone can, right or wrong.

It's hard when you're guarded (and be guarded) by someone 2/3 your size and twice your quickness. So it's tough to assess AM from last night's game, but he's better than what we saw.
                              If you're not in love with Wade, you will be. What a motor and takes all the criticism you can dish out. And he might be just 6'5".
                              I don't know what we're going to do with our guards because GS and TE can PLAY.
                              Burton and Stevenson are both substantially improved and probably will be losing minutes. Think about that for a moment.
                              I still haven't seen Noah play. I can't imagine he's not redshirting. Who would he take minutes from?
                              Jo has come along so fast since early practices.....I don't know how you can watch him not play. You have to start measuring that ceiling I think.
                              Kids got after it on D in the 2nd half.
                              We need Jamie to be elite. Somehow, someway we have to get and keep him healthy.
                              Little surprised Tate Busse didn't play a little earlier. He didn't show much but he did little wrong and clearly understands what he's doing out there.

I like the motor of this team. I like the BBIQ of this team. Those 2 things combined with very good talent and HCGM should yield positive results.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Indeed. He also constructively criticized Midtgaard from the wrong side of the Devlin Court writing, cupping his hands while verbally addressing Asbjorn's recent play. Classic.

As was his reaction when he was accidentally popped in the head by one of the assistants who was trying to direct traffic on the court. Gregg was in midseason form.

Comment

Working...
                                X