First day of practice, Marshall talks about the Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Not sure we want him taking out DD at the rim. He'll be fine.

He will be fine on offense, it's just the defense, which improved some throughout the year but was still bad throughout, that I am worried about.

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Well that looks just like the AM from last year. Just saying..
      My thoughts exactly. Poor AM.

Comment

He will be fine on offense, it's just the defense, which improved some throughout the year but was still bad throughout, that I am worried about.
        I don't think anyone would have stopped DD on that dunk with a full head of steam. Business Decision

Comment

You guys must have missed the last 15 games of last season.

I suggest revisiting. If you want to complain about defense on that possession, I might suggest any of the other 4 yellow shirts that didn't stop ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
            You guys must have missed the last 15 games of last season.

I suggest revisiting. If you want to complain about defense on that possession, I might suggest any of the other 4 yellow shirts that didn't stop ball.
            I most certainly did not miss any games and all you have do to is look AM"s defensive rating for those last 15 and you will see it was still in the bottom 1/4 of the entire NCAA.

I like the kid and don't wan't to have to rail on him but facts are facts and crazy opinions are just that.

Comment

I'll stick with my crazy opinion. This play is a perfect example of why defensive metrics are tough. You see AM getting dunked on. I see 3 WSU guards not stopping the ball.

Midtgaard learned to quit going for blocks out of his area over the last 10+ games of last season. As a result the team defense and rebounding improved and his blocked shots actually increased. He was starting to not leave his feet and just be 7' and giant.

Our 5 rotation has a chance to be elite this season. Like, Top 10 5 positions in the country. And we're going to need it. But, that's my crazy opinion.

Comment

Comment

I most certainly did not miss any games and all you have do to is look AM"s defensive rating for those last 15 and you will see it was still in the bottom 1/4 of the entire NCAA.

I like the kid and don't wan't to have to rail on him but facts are facts and crazy opinions are just that.
                  yessir, there he is, right at the bottom 1/4 of the NCAA, yet second best among the Shockers in DRtg = points per 100 possessions
                  Player G ORtg DRtg
                  Jaime Echenique 18 101.8 93.7
                  Asbjorn Midtgaard 17 126.7 99.4
                  Erik Stevenson 18 97.2 99.5
                  Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler 16 117.6 102.1
                  Dexter Dennis 18 107.8 103
                  Ricky Torres 18 94.6 103.2
                  Rod Brown 18 95.8 103.4
                  Morris Udeze 4 102.6 103.8
                  Markis McDuffie 18 109.4 104.6
                  Jamarius Burton 18 101.7 105.1
                  Samajae Haynes-Jones 18 101 107.5
                  Eli Farrakhan 6 0 107.8
                  Brycen Bush 2 0 112.7
                  Jacob Herrs 3 230.2 112.7
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Well that looks just like the AM from last year. Just saying..
                    A 7' guy weighing in at 270 isn't likely to have a great vertical, but did you notice he was at the basket defending in transition? I guess haters gotta hate.

Perhaps some posters have been overly critical of DD's ball handling and ability to get to the rim. Looks like he's got some skills in that area.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

During the NIT and I would even say, during the conference portion of the season following our game against UCF and Tacko Fall, there were few easy baskets in the lane when AM was in the game. He defended almost everything.

Comment

Taylor, I would like to see a piece written about IPBC's journey to High Major Athletics at WSU. How did his youth challenge him to get here? How did it help him prepare for his arrival here? Etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

yessir, there he is, right at the bottom 1/4 of the NCAA, yet second best among the Shockers in DRtg = points per 100 possessions
                          . [TABLE="border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0, width: 266"]
                          I don't know where you are getting your stats Imforwsu or which ones you are cherry picking but the following are from Synergy and are overall stats from the most respected stat collector on the planet.

Arrgh while I frequently agree with you in this case it is not hating when facts back me up.

Shockm, sorry you are just wrong.

Cdizzle, I respect your opinions but the facts just don't back this one up.

Look, he is a good kid and I hope he gets better but it is just crazy to say his defense last year was anything but awful.

Multi-Game Player Views/Regular Season - Defensive - Asbjorn Midtgaard #33 7'0" 270 lbs
                          Report Contents - Man and Zone Defense Print Report Generated: 10/04/2019
                          Season: 2018-2019 Team: Wichita State Shockers Date Range: 11/06/2018 to 03/09/2019 Number of Games: 24
                          Overall Defense % Time Poss Points PPP Rank Rating FGm FGM FGA FG% aFG% %TO %FT %SF %Score
                          Asbjorn Midtgaard 100% 51 56 1.098 6% Poor 22 22 44 50% 58% 9.8% 7.8% 7.8% 47.1%

Multi-Game Player Views/NIT Tournament - Defensive - Asbjorn Midtgaard #33 7'0" 270 lbs
                          Report Contents - Man and Zone Defense Print Report Generated: 10/04/2019
                          Season: 2018-2019 Team: Wichita State Shockers Date Range: 03/20/2019 to 04/02/2019 Number of Games: 4
                          Overall Defense % Time Poss Points PPP Rank Rating FGm FGM FGA FG% aFG% %TO %FT %SF %Score
                          Asbjorn Midtgaard 100% 17 22 1.294 8% Poor 6 9 15 60% 63.3% 0% 11.8% 11.8% 64.7%

Comment

AM is a good person and a good player on offense but to say he is a good defender is laughable and biased.

Comment

To further address this the drop off in plus minus from JE to AM was the most dramatic of any starter to backup last year. JE was plus 189 vs AM -26. The drop off from mcduffie to brown wasn’t even this significant.

Comment

Wow, I thought he was doing better than that. I guess that with a "Defense First" system that 3G runs, AM will never see the floor this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X