No announcement yet.

2019-20 Expectations for Shocker Basketball – “Fall-time Edition”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asiseeit has posted my exact same sentiments. He is an astute basketball fan

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

Pole dancing is part of how the blue bloods recruit.
      Most accurate prediction so far. Shockband must have a source inside the ku ad.

Comment

Bearing in mind that one starter was missing and the other four were split, so not playing together. These lineups that played had to be very unusual groupings and thus have not practiced much as units. I have to believe our starting five would have looked much better against equal talent than what we saw in the scrimmage.

I'd like GS to not hold the ball dribbling. This may be due to others not doing what they're supposed to be doing, but if he dribbles to 7-8 seconds remaining and passes to TE high on the wing, as a safety valve, there's not much good going to be happening. Otherwise, I love what he brings to the table.

JE was a rebounding maniac, but otherwise disappointing to me. Maybe that was due in part to AM.

Shooting was poor all the way around. A lot of that may be that the defense absolutely knows what the offense is trying to do, and that contributed to cause the very inept ball movement, and thus good open looks. Again these units cannot have played as units very much.

DG and TW showed flashes. TE is going to be yuge! Hopefully NF will heal and pick up the systems quickly.

TB played a lot and showed well, except for shooting blanks. He did not exhibit the quickness on offense to excite me, but was solid otherwise.

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
          I'd like GS to not hold the ball dribbling. This may be due to others not doing what they're supposed to be doing, but if he dribbles to 7-8 seconds remaining and passes to TE high on the wing, as a safety valve, there's not much good going to be happening. Otherwise, I love what he brings to the table.
          Agreed. That could of also been impacted by the defense pretty much knowing exactly what you are running. Even if it wasn't that should be pretty easily fixable.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Agreed. That could of also been impacted by the defense pretty much knowing exactly what you are running. Even if it wasn't that should be pretty easily fixable.
            Totally agree. We also have to keep in mind that those legs may have been a little tired and that may have been why a number of shots were short on the rim.. Coach said they pratice two hours before the scrimage. Lol Coach really cracks me up sometimes. He said the practice was not good too.

Comment

24...Wins 9 seed

Comment

I won't begin to predict anything until after I see an exhibition game played. I know that no matter what happens in that game, the next 5 or even the first 15 games, that HCGM will be in full control, will make necessary adjustments and find a way to get the most of of these men. That's what history has shown me, so I'll happily revisit this thread in the moments following the exhibition game.

Comment

I usually enter seasons without expectations that might lead to disappointment, but I'm pretty optimistic this year.

I think guard play will be improved this year. That takes care of one departing player. I think Wade can adequately replace McDuffie. Not in points, but there are a lot of players who can combine to make up for points lost to McDuffie's departure.

That leaves me thinking McDuffie's departure is likely to be a wash, and the improvement by the Sophs and the quality of the Fr guards will more than make up for the loss of Haynes-Jones. The core of Burton, Dennis, and Echenique/Midtgaard could be scary good if Burton can get his shot to drop.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I also don't want to get my expectations too high. This year could look exactly like last year, which I hope is the floor for this team. I don't think it will, but realistically it's a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                      I also don't want to get my expectations too high. This year could look exactly like last year, which I hope is the floor for this team. I don't think it will, but realistically it's a possibility.
                      On the bright side .. The ceiling is the roof for this team!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

On the bright side .. The ceiling is the roof for this team!!
                        Thanks, Yogi!

Comment

The schedule starts friendly this year for a team that is still youthful and lacks multiple years of D-1 experience. Omaha through Oral Bob is pretty soft, with Gardner-Webb really the only decent resistance until they get to Cancun. The fun in the sun tournament may show how much they have developed and what the next few games (Ok, OK State and VCU) may look like.

Interesting how things have changed... in The Valley, the non-league games were a grab of possible P5 schools to build up schedule strength come evaluation of tournament time seeding. Now the non-league is used to get ready for the grind that is the AAC. Lets be clear about that - it is a grind to go through Temple, Houston UC Memphis vs Drake Indiana State etc.
                          The level of specimens in this league plus the increased physical nature of it are 3 steps up the ladder - at minimum!

That is all.
                          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Having not seen a single new player play, I do not have a clue as to how many games we are going to win this year, where we are going to finish in the conference, nor whether we will be selected to play in the NCAA tournament, or not. But, I do expect this to be a very fun and most enjoyable team to watch play and develop as the season goes on.

Having full confidence in GM, I expect we will range somewhere between winning 18 to 24 games and will be very, very good by the end of the season.

And next year, perhaps it might not be unreasonable to expect winning 25-30 games, or more, and everything else that goes along with that.
                            Last edited by 60Shock; October 10, 2019, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X