No announcement yet.

Basketball Scrimmage Date Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough to judge these scrimmages. Hard to look good offensiviely this early in the year especially when the defense pretty much knows exactly what you are going to do. Shooting was so-so I thought. A lot of shots left short.

Thre Shocks will certainly look like a D-1 college basketball team walking throught the ariports.

Asbjorn, Poor Bear, Mo and Jamarius all looked slimmed down and fitter vs last year. All looked a bit quicker and springier. Dex maybe has even slimmed down some but he certainly did not need to.

Trey Wade looks like he will get the most minutes at the 4 this year. Poor Bear looks to me like he could give us some minutes at the 4 this year. Not sure Josephat and Deantoni are quite ready at this point but you can certainly see the upside in both of them. Would not surprise me if a redshirt isn't a consideration for Josephat. I think it would do him a world of good.

I would certainly prefer to see Dex plying his time at the 3 or 2. At this point DeAntoni may be more of a 3 than a 4.

With Dex, Jamarius, Tyson, Grant, and Erik at the guard postions we should be in good shape there. Didn't get to see Noah due to injury and Erik due to a class conflict. Tate played a lot probably mostly due to Erik's situation. He certainly didn't look overwhelmed although his perimeter shot was a bit shaky (not that anyone was lighting it up today) but he looked like he could fill in needed. Just not sure the need will be there.

The Shockers certainly showed enough to keep the hopes and expectations of Shocker fans at a high level.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

On a Saturday?

Something going on with him?
      That's what I thought to, but apparently there are some classes that meet pretty much all day Saturday for just the first half of the Semester. Perhaps he is one of those.

Comment

I really enjoyed the scrimage. I like the fact that our offense looks better even though the guys missed a lot of shots. You always look better when your making shots. I still beleive we got a lot of guys thst can shoot. Not as much dribbling by 1 player so much too. I agree with a lot of you that our defense is ahead of offense. I am encouraged by what I saw.

Comment

To me Wade was the brightest spot. Most impressed with the defense he played on DD. He's a stud.

Sherman and Etienne might be the best back court in the nation if they are both still around here 4 years from now.

As 72shocker said several players are slimmed down. AM looked quicker and better on defense but he was guarding another tall 5 in JE which is when he is best on defense.

Gordon has a lot of upside and it could happen pretty quickly.

Bilau has upside but may take a little longer.

JE and AM should dominate some teams on the offensive end. Also thought Udeze was more agile and should be invaluable against teams that have a smaller 5 on defense.

Can't wait for the season. It should be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post
            To me Wade was the brightest spot. Most impressed with the defense he played on DD. He's a stud.

Sherman and Etienne might be the best back court in the nation if they are both still around here 4 years from now.

As 72shocker said several players are slimmed down. AM looked quicker and better on defense but he was guarding another tall 5 in JE which is when he is best on defense.

Gordon has a lot of upside and it could happen pretty quickly.

Bilau has upside but may take a little longer.

JE and AM should dominate some teams on the offensive end. Also thought Udeze was more agile and should be invaluable against teams that have a smaller 5 on defense.

Can't wait for the season. It should be fun!
            I agree. The one thing I would add is that I thought IPBC played well too. He hit a 3 pointer and it looked good. He also rebounded well and has trimmed up . Looks like he lost his baby fat.
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

I agree. The one thing I would add is that I thought IPBC played well too. He hit a 3 pointer and it looked good. He also rebounded well and has trimmed up . Looks like he lost his baby fat.
              ​​​​​​
              Same with JB. Lost a bunch of weight. Hardly recognized him. He's going be be a real stud this year!

Comment

I did not see today but I did see a practice recently. ES looked REALLY good that day. He looked much quicker and his shot looked very smooth. I never understood his shot last year. He would swish one and miss the next by 2 feet. He was on fire the other day and letting everyone know about it. When he did miss it was just barely. Much quicker on D also.
                Glad to hear Wade was good today. He was frustrated when I saw him.
                The two most impressive guys I saw that day were ES and Udeze. (DD too but that's expected now). JB and Noah were out that day.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Same with JB. Lost a bunch of weight. Hardly recognized him. He's going be be a real stud this year!
                  Best player on the floor IMHO

Comment

The Shocks had a hard 2.5 hour practice on Friday and a 2.0 hour practice this morning before the scrimmage. May have contributed to the the sluggish start that had 3G calling an early TO to chat with his young men.

Comment

Didn't learn anything about the returners. They are all gonna be just fine. But Wade, Etienne and Sherfield will help. Right away. I really thought Etienne looked very quick and athletic. Grant did as well. Gonna be fun. I love that we have stud freshman. Always a good thing.

Comment

Etienne was vocal and seemed like he already was embracing a leadership role. Very intense and very "into it". It also appears, based on Taylor's tweets, that he spent another 2 hours tonight at Koch stroking 3's. I have a feeling he's gonna be VERY valuable by the time his career ends.

Honestly, all the freshmen (and JUCO) looked pretty good. Definitely built-up and played pretty good collectively. Some nerves early.

Returners also looked good. JB still will get 2-3 automatic turnovers per game. But I like his game.

Not a lot of ball-sticking with this group, which is good. Can't wait to seem them play against an actual opponent in a few weeks.

It's coming hard and fast people.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Oh. And it was great to see Ben Smith back. Very cool!!!

Comment

I really appreciate all the comments and reports!

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                              For what reason would the size of the large Pepsi be changed so that it no longer fits in the cupholder?
                              You have cup holders???

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X