No announcement yet.

Basketball Scrimmage Date Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you bought stock at the Wade IPO, you're gonna be rich!
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

For those that can't attend. Watch Taylor's twitter.

Comment

Wade is a dominant dude. Starter. Probably all-conference-something at the end of the next couple of seasons.

They started a little tentative, but finally started loosening up.

The Asbjorn experiment is starting to pay dividends. Like we always said, the junior or senior year tends to be the breakout year and that seems to he the case with him.

Burton came to play.

Josaphat needs more development time. If it ever clicks, my gosh. Physical specimen.

Sherfield will be fun to watch. Made some early boners but started got in the flow when the game loosened up.

Ettiieennee (how you spell that?) was sort of hidden to me, which is probably good in a way. He wasn't handling the ball as much as I expectesd, so its difficult to draw any conclusions.

Jamie was Jamie. Dex was Dex. Which is a very good thing. Neither of them was pushing the pace on these guys, which is to be expected.
        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Midtgaard's defense bothered Echenique. That was nice to see.
          There are nights when I think that Sal Paradise was right.

Comment

I don't know names with faces like the rest of everyone. So this may be a bit dodgy. This was a scrimmage where everyone knows what the next guy is capable of, keep it in mind.

Turnout was just OK. First thing I noticed was Noah Fernandez in a boot and crutches. RS anyone? 2nd thing, no Eric, taking a test. Seemed odd, for whatever reason.
            Early impression, young guards for yellow are tough and ready. Lot of ball handling. ABle to direct offense well. A lot for me to like about Tyson Etienne. Seems like a good leader, solid build for a guard. Pretty good defense. Seems like he has a nice shooting touch and can dribble drive. Grant Sherfield rates right there with Tyson for me. Good vision, ball handling, shooting, defense. They were the fun group to watch (not Dexter and Jamarius surprisingly.) Pretty vocal for a lot of the game. Wade was on that group as well.. Should find immediate playing time if not a starter. First thing he did was block Dexter's 3 ball attempt. He looks like he has good handles as well, dribble drive, good mid range and certainly OK on the defense.

Tate Busse got a lot of run with Dexter and Jamarius. Shot looked a bit off but maybe nerves? They were not letting him have anything to do with shooting the ball early. It was deny deny deny. Plays D on the perimeter OK, good ball handling and sticking within offense. No shots made (out of three attempts.) Stayed within flow of offense, didn't rush or force anything which was an issue last season. So maybe he gets some run if he sticks to defense and working the ball like he did. If he can find a shot, cool beans. Deantoni Gordon played OK, had a nice mid range shot he made along the baseline (I think it was him anyway.) Nothing stands out and he wasn't "in the way" which can happen a lot (I think) at these scrimmages.

Dexter had his first shot blocked - let's be honest not a great look or attempt, but easily blocked by Wade. He hit the next one with ease if it makes any difference. Felt like he rushed one, but otherwise didn't stand out too much. It is a scrimmage. Played hard. Jamarius Burton played on black with DD. Lots of ball handling. May still be prone to turnovers, but he gets to the basket. Had a great no look pass to someone (don't recall who). Still looks like he will get some rebound this year like last season. J Bilau (sorry if I mispelled), but he's llanky and smooth. SHot looks a bit slow (don't think he hit one) but he plays a lot slower than the other guys. With the game speeding up, I don't know how well that style of play transfers at this level. I can see a lot of pine time if he forces too many shots (one he did force led to easy transition at the other end.)

On to big men: IPBC, Asborn, Jaime, Udeze......they're a four headed beast. With the extension of the three point line, a lot of balls are going to find their way into the interior. How they play may actually dictate what happens this season. Being a scrimmage, nearly every ball that went in to the middle, well, was a shot by whomever received the pass. That's great if they all go in, but it doesn't work that way. Hopefully they remember that a defense collapses and they can and SHOULD be able to kick the ball out to the perimeter or to a cutting player. I really think it could be a key, because if predict falling 3 point percentages this season across the NCAA landscape.

What stood out: energy level. Energy level was top notch from a lot of the new players. I think and hope that bodes well for the season. They play hard. Have to remember, they can only play five at a time and Eric was MIA. That's a lot of guys playing with energy (I hope). I think the defense (individually and team) will be much improved. Also stood out: strength of players (especially newcomers). This team will play OK with contact (I think). I think of this in terms of less flailing and less falling down when you get into the thick of the defense. I don't care who starts, I just want to see the effort and some team basketball this season. I'm not going to grade players (which always seemed odd to me), but I will say that I like the addition of Wade, Sherfield, Etienne, and Gordon. I like it a lot. Hope that helps those that couldn't see it today.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              If you bought stock at the Wade IPO, you're gonna be rich!
              Wade looks good. No question.

Comment

Noah just has a bone bruise and should be fine in 7-10 days according to Marshall

Comment

Etienne - Player! Didn't stat it up much, but did a lot of things well.

Sherfield - Played PG. Looked a lot like SHJ doing it. More dribbling than passing.

Wade - STUD! Scored at will - when Bilau was guarding him

Bilau - Moves well. If he only knew where to move to and why he was moving it would be helpful. He's raw. If we were talking in terms of a steak,that cow would still be walking around the pasture.

Gordon - He's as skinny a anybody thought, but I thought he looked decent for a Fr

I thought Midtgaard and Chandler showed the most improvement from last year. Both Midtgaard and Chandler showed some moves to the basket that were quicker than I thought I'd ever see from them. Chandler drove from about 20', putting the ball on the floor. Looked good doing it.

Burton looked solid! I don't think anybody's going to be taking his spot.

Defense is WAY ahead of the offense, but it always is this time of the year.
                  Last edited by Aargh; October 5, 2019, 02:16 PM.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Tyson E has a quick catch and release. That corner 3 early was about as quick as we have seen around here. Guys definitely are going to D it up, easy shots wont happen.

Comment

-Eteinne, Sherfield, and Wade looked like immediate contributors.
                      -I can see Gordon contributing sooner than later but maybe not much to start the season.
                      -Bilau moves incredibly well for a guy his size. Looked like a really good motor. Didn’t see him try much in terms of offense but he did show good awareness to get a shot up before the shot clock expired on a possession. Probably the furthest to go out of the newcomers but definitely large, athletic, and seemed coordinated.
                      -Dennis seemed pretty quiet to me. Made one three, missed another, and passed up a wide open look with 3 seconds on the shot then dribbled and got blocked a second later. Got stripped by Sherfield and looked a little shaky on a drive attempt.
                      -Big men rotation looks really solid. Echinique was pretty quiet but we know he’ll be our best post guy. Mit was doing work in the pnr and had a chase down block that was called goal tending. Udeze and Chandler both had good moments with the edge going overall to Chandler.
                      -Busse looked solid for a walk on but I still don’t see him ever contributing meaningful minutes. I could be wrong though, don’t want to completely rule anything out.
                      -Bummer not to see Fernandes or Stevenson. Hope Eriks test went well and Noah’s foot heals up!

I came away very optimistic overall. The play of Eteinne, Sherfield, and Wade was especially exciting. Can’t wait for the season to start.

Comment

ES was indeed taking a midterm. Same class my son is in.
                        Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

full scrimmage

Comment

For what reason would the size of the large Pepsi be changed so that it no longer fits in the cupholder?
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Pretty even teams. Defense dominated the game not allowing anyone to really standout offensively and that
                              included Busse matching up with TE - both played good D on one another. For that matter every position was
                              fairly even. We have some big bangers inside and Wade is going to be a complimentary workhorse. Bilieu is
                              very raw but has the prototypical size and length we want. I'd like to see him RS. Shooting and ball movement
                              was not good today but I'll credit the D. Still think we have the ingredients to go with a large or small line ups.. I
                              thought AM was the MVP today think 9 or 10 guys could be that game to game
                              Last edited by asiseeit; October 5, 2019, 04:36 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                                For what reason would the size of the large Pepsi be changed so that it no longer fits in the cupholder?
                                smh... attention to small details. beings koch only gets mopped occasionally that means even more sticky floors!

Comment

Working...
                                X