No announcement yet.

2019-20 Expectations for Shocker Basketball – “Summertime Edition”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parrish and Norlander on their basketball podcast were talking about the UCONN departing the AAC and the effect it will have on the AAC. They had the following question marks for the conference that needed to be answered this year:

1. Will Memphis really become the conference flagship program under Penny. The expectations are not based on past history but are all on projections of talent. There are some risks there. They could be a team that struggles for consistency during the regular season but comes together during the post-season.

2. How will Cincy respond under having a new head coach? They think they will be fine with their long history. But the same thing could have been said about UCONN and Ollie and we saw how that worked out.

3. Will WSU get back this year to being an elite program or will they just be "on the periphery" type teams (e.g. NIT)? The conference needs them to be the type of program they were when brought into the conference.

Overall they were still bullish on the AAC because they expect Houston to be solid as long as Sampson is still there, and they really expect Memphis to be the best program in the AAC. But they pointed out that depending on how these unknowns work themselves out will determine their national perception and whether AAC is equal or greater than the BE.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      As has been our experience over the ages; the conference's success will hinge on the Shock's success. If we get back into the Top 10 The Pee will be in short cotton.

T

...:cool:

It amazes me how anyone can doubt WSU and 3G’s ability to compete nationally. Last years team was malformed with an awful mix of no experience and NO point guard to begin the season and in the end they were still dangerous. Barring injury and/or complete recruiting “whiffs” (which I don’t believe for a minute) this years teams will be top 20 by February/March. Go Shox!

Comment

• another shocker
      another shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      some people have no faith. two more years and the aac will be the shocker show.. year in and year out.

Yep, Coach Marshall has never had this steady of a stream of quality recruits since joining the American. Soon a sweet 16, elite 8 type years will be coming.

Comment

And didn't we do real well in our first year in the conference coming from the MVC??? Or did I miss something???
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
        And didn't we do real well in our first year in the conference coming from the MVC??? Or did I miss something???
        Well, there was that one issue of shooting abilities.

Comment

• wufan
          wufan commented
          Editing a comment
          That was year 2 in the AAC. Year one we had Shamet, Frankamp, and Austin burying 3s.

I would hope it doesn’t turn into the Shocker show. I would prefer a half dozen other schools to push us into the best we can be unlike the MVC. I understand what you mean and hope we are always at the top of the heap

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed but I doubt that it be an issue in the AAC
      Working...
      X