2019-20 Expectations for Shocker Basketball – “Summertime Edition”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019-20 Expectations for Shocker Basketball – “Summertime Edition”

Hot Dogs, Hot Days, and Hot Hoops at the Roundhouse in July!!! :bball_spin::watermelon: :very_drunk: :cool:

So what do we know: who left (players/coaches); who stayed (players/coaches); who arrived (players); what AAC teams have we been paired with for home/away games & who do we only play once; who are most of our non-conference games against (but still 3 or 4 to go), so what kind of expectations do you see at this point?
    Very Low: 18 wins or less
    0%
    Low: 19 to 21 wins
    3.23%
    Medium: 22 to 24 wins
    43.01%
    High: 25 to 27 wins
    48.39%
    Very High: 28 wins or more
    5.38%

The poll is expired.

I said F it and went with 28+ wins!
    Lets get back to the ncaa and win it all!

Comment

Losing Teddy was huge. Dexter will have to improve his ball handing and penetration abilities significantly to pick up any of Teddy's slack. Dexter is a role player ATM while Teddy was somebody you could build an entire program around. There is a real possibility that we miss back-to-back NCAA's. That would be devastating to our national reputation.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Windiwu
        Windiwu commented
        Editing a comment
        Cold, I think you need to get the time to go watch them. The reports we hear back from just about anyone who has seen them recently are very upbeat. I think it is quite possible that would soothe your apparent depression. :)

• WstateU
        WstateU commented
        Editing a comment
        https://media.giphy.com/media/1014RBn4HVSTK/giphy.gif

• N Crestway
        N Crestway commented
        Editing a comment
        For me Teddy is always going to be a bit of a mystery because we never saw him play a single game for WSU. We hoped that he would be a big impact player. Still surprising that just one incident would get him off the team...maybe Marshall was seeing something else that worried him regarding Teddy in terms of his game or his influence on the team.

Here are my "way-too-early" predictions:

Likely Win

ECU (home)
      Gardner-Webb (home)
      Memphis (home)
      #1 - TBD (home)
      #2 - TBD (home)
      #3 - TBD (home)
      Temple (home)
      Tulane (home)
      Tulsa (home)
      UCF (home)
      USF (home)
      UT Martin (home)

Maybe Win
      Cincinnati (home)
      Houston (home)
      Mississippi (home)
      Northern Iowa / West Virginia (Neutral)
      Oklahoma (home)
      SMU (away)
      South Carolina (neutral)
      #4 - TBD (home)
      Tulsa (away)
      VCU (home)

Toss Ups
      None

Maybe Loss
      Temple (away)
      UCF (away)
      USF (away)

Likely Loss
      Cincinnati (away)
      Houston (away)
      Memphis (away)
      Oklahoma State (away)
      UConn (away)

I think we are at 22 wins right now, but willing to go a little higher once I see the final schedule of how many days we get to prepare for our away AAC games.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
      Losing Teddy was huge. Dexter will have to improve his ball handing and penetration abilities significantly to pick up any of Teddy's slack. Dexter is a role player ATM while Teddy was somebody you could build an entire program around. There is a real possibility that we miss back-to-back NCAA's. That would be devastating to our national reputation.

T

...:cool:
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
        Here are my "way-too-early" predictions:

Likely Win

ECU (home)
        Gardner-Webb (home)
        Memphis (home)
        #1 - TBD (home)
        #2 - TBD (home)
        #3 - TBD (home)
        Temple (home)
        Tulane (home)
        Tulsa (home)
        UCF (home)
        USF (home)
        UT Martin (home)

Maybe Win
        Cincinnati (home)
        Houston (home)
        Mississippi (home)
        Northern Iowa / West Virginia (Neutral)
        Oklahoma (home)
        SMU (away)
        South Carolina (neutral)
        #4 - TBD (home)
        Tulsa (away)
        VCU (home)

Toss Ups
        None

Maybe Loss
        Temple (away)
        UCF (away)
        USF (away)

Likely Loss
        Cincinnati (away)
        Houston (away)
        Memphis (away)
        Oklahoma State (away)
        UConn (away)

I think we are at 22 wins right now, but willing to go a little higher once I see the final schedule of how many days we get to prepare for our away AAC games.
        You have mirrored my current thinking. I am leaning toward making Okie State away and UConn away as more likely toss-ups than Losses which leads me to currently think three (3) likely road losses and five (5) toss-up road games. So I am waiting a few weeks before I post my thoughts on how many games the Shockers will win this season.

Comment

medium. 4th place in conference and 11 seed. defense carries us to sweet 16

Comment

Comment

One big wildcard this year is Burton’s shooting. If he has found a reliable 3 point shot, it would be a difference maker. I expect big leaps from all the younger guys plus AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                One big wildcard this year is Burton’s shooting. If he has found a reliable 3 point shot, it would be a difference maker. I expect big leaps from all the younger guys plus AM.
                I could live with him taking 3-4 threes a game and making 33% or better.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• OregonShocker
                  OregonShocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just enough to make the D respect him and not play off

Add Stevenson to the list of guys I hope can find a reliable 3 point shot.

Comment

Taylor Eldgridge was of the opinion that the following are the keys/wildcards for the Shocks to hit their highest upside in 2019-20:

1. Dexter Dennis takes his game to the next level and becomes that NBA-caliber player that many are expecting.
                  2. Jamarius Burton returns with a more consistent jump shot to his arsenal
                  3. Erik Stevenson starts making as many threes as his smooth stroke should generate.
                  4. True freshmen Grant Sherfield and Tyson Etienne are mature beyond their years and become scorers right away.
                  5. Jaime Echenique comes back with improved stamina and fully healthy.
                  6. Asbjorn Midtgaard really has turned the corner.

He anticipates that Morris Udeze and possibly one of the freshman will redshirt this year. I would guess Noah Fernandez and either Josephat Bilau or Antoni Gordon would be the most likely candidates. But time will tell what happens on that front.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 3, 2019, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

I could live with him taking 3-4 threes a game and making 33% or better.
                    His shooting will only be good enough if it requires the defense to not double team another player or go below the screen without making them pay. If he makes enough shots for them not to gamble, we win. The same for Stephenson or any of our guards.

Comment

BTW, I am sitll getting a lot of "This Page Not Working" messages when trying to access articles on Kansas.com. Not sure if that is a problem on my end or on the Wichita Eagle's end. This has been happening for at least a week now.

tayloreldridge have you had this complaint from anyone else?

Comment

• Windiwu
                        Windiwu commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Same problem here so it isn't just you. Only seems to happen on my Kindle with the Silk browser.

They had to reset my digital account. Been a mess for about a week.

Comment

Working...
                      X