Antoine Carr (1979-83) Shocker Sports Hall of Famer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antoine Carr (1979-83) Shocker Sports Hall of Famer

Before 'The Last Dance,' Scottie Pippen delivered six words of trash talk that changed NBA history - ESPN

David Fleming, Senior Writer
    posted: 05/15/20, 6:00am cst

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ed-nba-history

It's a line loaded with fascinating cultural, statistical and historical subtext. A line so clever it rescues one legacy, rewrites another and destroys a third. And a line that will ultimately set the table for the 1997-98 Chicago Bulls and "The Last Dance," the documentary that 23 years later will keep us all sane during a sports-less pandemic.

Six magical words, so influential and controversial they inspired their own oral history: "The Mailman doesn't deliver on Sunday!"...

Antoine Carr, Jazz forward: The toughest part about playing the Bulls was always trying to figure out how to play them and deal with the referees at the same time. Because you know if you touch Jordan, you're getting a foul.

Carr: One thing I did enjoy about playing the Bulls that was different was the city of Chicago was always trying to do something too. You'd be in your hotel room the night before a Finals game in Chicago and all of a sudden a Playboy model would show up at your door with a cake. That happened to me more than once. ... They show up in a trench coat, and when they get to present you with your cake the coat comes off and it's "Welcome to Chicago!" But if you're a young man and all you can think of the night before the Finals is a beautiful girl now, that's going to throw you all the way off. It didn't work on me. It was good cake, though.

Carr: I don't think it had anything to do with Pippen. I just think the Bulls were lucky. They got the proper calls at the proper time or else it would have been the Utah Jazz with the championship. One or two calls in this thing, it changes the whole complexion and then it's a documentary on the Jazz's first championship. So we continue with the story on the great Michael Jordan...."

Just recently joined twitter and is looking for followers. Looks like he'd in Wichita right now and will be signing autographs on Saturday at one of the Taco Shops.

Comment

They should rename the Taco 12-pack the "Big Dawg".

It would take Taco Tuesday over the top...
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

I love seeing AC repping ShockerNation. Just a quick look at his tweets and I saw him welcoming Landry Shamet to ShockerNation and giving a holler to Cleanthony Early. A successful program keeps it alums connected to the program. I just love being a Shocker!
        ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Now maybe we can have our own big man camp right here in Ta Town?
          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Now maybe we can have our own big man camp right here in Ta Town?
            'not a bad idea. first and last lesson would probably be about loyalty to your team-mates.

Comment

I played against Round in Jr. High. :)

Comment

Oops "Toine"

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                  'not a bad idea. first and last lesson would probably be about loyalty to your team-mates.
                  "And with the last lesson, my good friend and team mate Xavier McDaniel. What do we do if someone puts their hands on you?" "Yep, choke em'."
                  ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Antoine is highlighted in the 3rd story...
                    Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                    "If you're going to do it, you're going to do it right," athletic director Jim Schaus said. "If we're going to put 'Wichita State' across our chest, then every team is going to matter."

Comment

Really sad news here. Didn't have renters insurance set up, so its a total loss for him.

Comment

• engrshock
                        engrshock commented
                        Editing a comment
                        On my Twitter it indicates: WuShock Retweeted Antoine Carr @AntoineCarr55 "Where's my WSU people when I need your help?"

Is Antoine flat broke and really needs the money? I have given to various groups at this time around Christmas to help those less fortunate.
                        I frankly did not perceive AC to be in the this group. If he truly is in need more than those that have very little then I would be more likely to help. IF not, then not so much.

• ShockdaWorld
                        ShockdaWorld commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Originally posted by engrshock View Post
                        On my Twitter it indicates: WuShock Retweeted Antoine Carr @AntoineCarr55 "Where's my WSU people when I need your help?"

Is Antoine flat broke and really needs the money? I have given to various groups at this time around Christmas to help those less fortunate.
                        I frankly did not perceive AC to be in the this group. If he truly is in need more than those that have very little then I would be more likely to help. IF not, then not so much.
                        If I understood correctly when I read about it after it first happened, he had stated that he would be able to rebound financially because of his involvement in business ventures, but his lady's family (that was also staying with him) were going to need more help than he would be able to give them. I believe they said the GoFundMe page (or whatever version of that it was) was set up specifically to help out that other family. He may still be needing help to get them back on their feet. I can't imagine Big Dog asking for a handout unless it was getting to be his last option.

Damn, that sucks.
                      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Uuuugh
                        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Wow... that's rough.

Comment

If you want to make a donation to help the Big Dawg, his agency, Defining Sports, has set up a donation link for paypal donations.

ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Working...
                            X