No announcement yet.

UCONN gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It certainly appears the $10 mil buyout was a pipe dream for the Huskies. Look, it wasn't exactly petty cash for the $2 mil we had to pay.....$10 million would have hurt but the "tone" in Mike's comment makes me think that number is going way, way up or UCONN stays 15 more months, which clearly they aren't going to do. Their football is in awful shape after this year (both competitively financially) and after that they essentially join an east coast Valley with the exception of men's basketball. On the plus side, their expenses go way way down.

I think this move appeases their fans, but it's a lot more about saving money and their programs. But that exit fee is going to sting.

Comment

• ShockTalk
      ShockTalk commented
      Editing a comment
      That additional 15 months could be very key. First, that puts them around late September 2021, after the school year has started. To me, that's the first negotiation point just to put it back to June 2021. The AAC may take the stance, we don't even talk about the 2020-21 school year until they clear that hurdle. Then comes an even tougher stance. Now I'm sure there are a few schools who don't want to enforce that 27 months too strongly, but they're in the minority. This is the rule they all agreed to so it should be very costly to get out of it. I wonder if the Big Least is not going to let UConn share in any previous Dance money earned by the BE. I assume UConn would have to leave all their shares of AAC earnings behind.

• The only real loss is the Woman BB team.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• they will be in the aac for at least one more year.. btw

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes and the comments I've seen here take that into consideration. The AAC bylaws for leaving the conference says that a school must give 27 month advance notice. That would be from late June 2019 when 1st giving notice to late September 2021. That would cover all of the 2019-20 and all of the 2020-21 school years (from late June 2019 when they said they wanted out through late May 2021 would cover 23 months) plus 4 more months (to late September 2021) would equal the 27 month requirement. Had they given notice 30 days sooner they wouldn't be getting into the start of the 3rd school year.

Anyone: If I have this wrong, please let me know.

• I saw something about how UCONN thought the move would be about equal from the standpoint of NCAA shares. Has anyone looked into what really will happen when they move? There's no way they're taking any shares with them ( at least I can't imagine there is) and it's hard to believe the current members of the BigEast are anxious to split their pie one extra slice. It's the off season, so I'm mildly curious.

Comment

• I would not be at all surprised if UConn has already made the decision to drop FBS football after exiting the AAC for the Big East and that decision and joining the Big East go hand-in-hand. At this point they will probably wait until their exit negotiations with the AAC are finished before making such an announcement. Without FBS football there is no advantage of AAC membership over the Big East at this point. UConn perhaps has come to the realization that they are a basketball school and that is where they should focus. My guess is they will play one final year in the AAC after negotiating a buyout of perhaps $12 million. They might drop football altogether although dropping down to FCS football and joining Georgetown n the Patriot league which would make a possible return to FBS football in the future easier maybe the most likely route they take. I suppose they could go the UMass route and go independent in FBS but that is tough but maybe that can become a popular buy game for the big boys and pick up some coin that way. It will certainly be interesting to see how they deal with football.

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          Isn't the required buyout $10 million? An additional $2 million to get out of the 27 month requirement (or, better said, to get out of the additional 16 months after the 2019-20 season) seems like nothing. Why even bother with the 27 month requirement if you would set a precedence of only $2 mill to get out of it. I'd think nothing less than another $10 mill that could be paid out over a 2-3 year period. If you are going to put "requirements" to leave in your bylaws, you had better show some teeth, particularly when you are in the right. UConn accepted those terms to begin with. I'm also assuming that UConn will get their revenue shares for football and basketball in 19-20 which would off set some of that additional penalty. I don't know how much that is, however.

• Dark Lord
          Dark Lord commented
          Editing a comment
          And I believe that they still have to play half of their games at home each year to maintain FBS status as an independent. It is easy for a BYU as they have a football program that carries some weight, but it has not been easy for the likes of UMass or New Mexico State. Then there is Notre Dame but they are in a whole other atmosphere when it comes to football than the others.

• If you want to see some absolutely delusional thinking check out the UConn football board. By going independent they're going to be able to schedule more p5 programs, which will get them better recruits. The AAC had been holding them back.

Here's the thing. Because we played in the AAC, the max number of P5 schools we could play on a yearly basis was 4. Some of you think we will have a hard time scheduling big good programs but I don't think so. Almost every year, we will play UMass and Army H/H and one FCS school at home, which...
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• This a good podcast from BYU showing Mike Aresco a lot of love. These guys are brutal about UConn FB/MBB.

Comment

• Originally posted by StunningSteve View Post
            This a good podcast from BYU showing Mike Aresco a lot of love. These guys are brutal about UConn FB/MBB.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...=1000443107316
            Comparing Mike Aresco to Elgin Baylor is like comparing ice cream to eggplant.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• If the conference decides to stay at 11 teams in basketball after UConn departs, what are the chances we start a full round-robin schedule of 20 conference games?

Comment

• shocks02
                shocks02 commented
                Editing a comment
                99%

• Well we like 11's around here...so....:poster_shocks:
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by StunningSteve View Post
                This a good podcast from BYU showing Mike Aresco a lot of love. These guys are brutal about UConn FB/MBB.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...=1000443107316
                These two talk about concessions would have to be made for BYU before it would be a good partnership for them. Do I hey have some kind of tv/cable deal they don’t want to give up

Comment

• RoyalShock
                  RoyalShock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If I'm not mistaken, they won't play games on Sunday.

• I love their paraphrase...
                UCONN: "We want to go."
                Aresco: "Fine, you aren't any good in football or basketball anyway. We have options."
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by JB4WSU View Post
                  If the conference decides to stay at 11 teams in basketball after UConn departs, what are the chances we start a full round-robin schedule of 20 conference games?
                  I hope if we go that then Tulane and ECU gets their crap together. Not playing them twice saves some of the top teams right now.

Comment

• Comment

• Man, I wonder if going to the BE is going to help them with this....
                      The Assman

Comment

• abdullah_sharif
                        abdullah_sharif commented
                        Editing a comment
                        you know shocktop... priests are pretty good people to ask on how to make bad things go away ~ just watch your cheeks!
                    Working...
                    X