No announcement yet.

UCONN gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UConn insists it won’t cancel football, but I wonder if their intention is to drop it to FCS.
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Dropping to FCS would make the most financial sense if they join the Big East. If they do that, they are committed to the Big East and have given up all hopes of joining one of the Power 5 conferences which they have felt they belonged in since all of this began.
      The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

I believe they have given up hope of a Power 5 conference bid and hoping for the best in renewing its rivalries with the big east. Playing as an independent is pure murder in football. As far as a replacement why not just go big and offer West Virginia. No hope that would happen but it never hurts to ask a pretty girl to dance

Comment

Used to live in Connecticut...some observations. UCONN will not cut football. They have a relatively new stadium and pretty good interest in keeping that program alive. Most of all, don’t underestimate the influence and power of the women’s basketball team in this decision. The women’s team and game is HUGE in the Nutmeg State. The ACC was a joke for women’s basketball. UCONN has never lost a game in the conference....and may never lose a game in the conference.
          Last edited by Singeril; June 23, 2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Singeril View Post
            Used to live in Connecticut...some observations. UCONN will not cut football. They have a relatively new stadium and pretty good interest in keeping that program alive. Most of all, don’t underestimate the influence and power of the women’s basketball team in this decision. The women’s team and game is HUGE in the Nutmeg State. The ACC was a joke for women’s basketball. UCONN has never lost a game in the conference....and may never lose a game in the conference.
            lol. That UConn womens team wont lose a game in this Big East either... (Notre Dame left that group 8 years ago)

Its a wash between womens leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
              UConn insists it won’t cancel football, but I wonder if their intention is to drop it to FCS.

This is the likely end of the road for Huskies FB.

I think they'll try to limp down the road like a NMSU but they just cut off a major source of their recruiting territory and the kids don't want to play indy football.
              Last edited by StunningSteve; June 23, 2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Any chance the Big East adds another?
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• StunningSteve
                  StunningSteve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't know, don't care. But they have a board called the Holyland of Hoops if you want to make a pitch.

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Tweet of the week!

It's true. Normally in a poaching situation a conference doesn't lose sub.500 teams in both FB and MBB.

This is more a hit in regards to PR and UConn's perceived potential.

I think they'll be good under Dan Hurley but I can't begin to assess what their ceiling may be because I thought Hurley had the players last year to win a lot more than he did.

That being said, the AAC has twice the television deal on a better network, so I don't think it'll be difficult to find a good fit to develop the league even more.

Going by last years records, there is still not much separation in MBB (if any at all). A .sub .500 team switched sides. Who knows what impact that will have over there. The big target Hurley was after was Precious Achiuwa and I don't think he would have chosen to play for him regardless. He chose the AAC.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In the tweet battle of Edgerton vs. Davis, it's a clear win for Edgerton. Davis is too impressed with the Connecticut name and history on the men's side.

Originally posted by State View Post

And, that's a matter of when, not if. Buckle up.
                You are just another example of how insecure KU is when it comes to the Shockers.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Well, we can be glad that losing a member doesn't immediately make the conference name a misnomer.
                    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                      WSUwatcher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Pretty good, pflash. Only one of the old numerical conferences is still correct.

This is great news for WSU women’s hoops. Now our coach can win a conference title occasionally.

Comment

The word is Cincy and Houston are also hot to get out of the the AAC. The AAC is looking at Western Kentucky, Buffalo and Toledo to replace those two plus UConn. Welcome to the MVC 2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Zubcut View Post
                        The word is Cincy and Houston are also hot to get out of the the AAC. The AAC is looking at Western Kentucky, Buffalo and Toledo to replace those two plus UConn. Welcome to the MVC 2.0.
                        Would still be at least 3x better than the Valley.

Comment

It is no secret that Houston, Cincinnati and UCF all want to get into a Power 5 conference. But who is looking to add right now? I believe we are still a handful of years away from the next wave of TV deals that could spark major movement. For now, all should be well as none of them are going anywhere in the immediate future, if ever.

Even if they did leave, we have a lot better options and remaining teams than the MVC.
                          The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

Working...
                          X