NBA Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA Draft

Watching this draft, I see a number of players drafted that I think are not as good as McDuffie. It also makes me think this may be Dexter Dennis’ last year at WSU.

Outside of the top 3 or so, this is a very weak draft.

Comment

Probably better to be a FA than to be drafted late.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Watching this draft...makes me think this may be Dexter Dennis’ last year at WSU.
        Really? You think Dennis will be more NBA-ready -- and not just in our eyes, but those of the people who'll be doing the drafting -- than Duff was? That would surprise me, even though Dexter came on strong late last year.

Comment

• Shockm
          Shockm commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t think he’s ready yet. If he leads this team to the tourney, gains consistency, and improves his mid range, finishing at the rim which includes his dribbling skills, then you are probably right. That will take a lot of improvement to jump after his second college (sophomore) year.

No chickenhawk in 2019 draft? HAHAHA

Comment

McDuffie without a doubt has an NBA jumper., and the mentality to go with it i.e., a quick release.

Comment

There were a number of guys drafted that were called “not great shooters” or “needs to expand shooting range”. Dexter’s biggest issue right now is being able to create his own shot. He is already a very good spot up shooter and a freak athlete. I would not be surprised to see him go next year.

Comment

Fred and Landry make teams say....” hmmmmmm!”☺️

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                Fred and Landry make teams say....” hmmmmmm!”☺️
                Carsen Edwards in the second round (76ers) was a disappointing surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by California Shocker View Post
                  No chickenhawk in 2019 draft? HAHAHA
                  Now that’s pretty damn funny.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Now that’s pretty damn funny.
                    Remind me which Chickenhawks were eligible or hoping to hear their name called?
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                      WSUwatcher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Actually, aren't the best of the bunch (who are still on the right side of the law, that is) still on the payroll in Lawrence?

There were a number of guys drafted that were called “not great shooters” or “needs to expand shooting range”. Dexter’s biggest issue right now is being able to create his own shot. He is already a very good spot up shooter and a freak athlete. I would not be surprised to see him go next year.
                    Agree. But the reason he has issues creating his own shot is because his dribbling is not as good as it needs to be. He needs to improve. I hope he is working hard this summer. I hope Dexter does not end up like Zack Brown and Markus Mduffie. Both of them needed to improve in their dribbling and never did.

Comment

Agreed.
                      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

The NBA is about becoming a viable threat or asset on the floor. RB for some reason couldn't produce on the O-side of the ball consistently enough to get minutes - at least in the Knicks/Fizdale's system. If he's still there in 3 years I'll be shocked. The NBA loves versatility now. Being able to spot up 3 and/or dribble drive is such a HUGE asset to a team. Being able to find the open spot on the floor - knowing where the ball is, and gravitating to the spot (and waiting) where a shot will be available is key. Making the shot often helps a lot. Moving without the ball is so important to the current NBA scheme - spacing seems key. If you can provide defense, well, that's icing on top of a cake. And more importantly, finding a comfortable home where your style of play fits the coaching, team play and you fit nicely with others on the team is probably of highest priority.

FVV is a master at all of these things. Hence his NBA Championship.

Ron Baker did a lot of these things well, but his style of play didn't really fit with Fizdale/Knicks. I'll actually be surprised if Fizdale is still there in 2-3 years. The rest of the NYK players weren't great team and/or defensive players. So that was another strike for him. Making the shot often...we all know RB to be a good shot, but for some reason the magnets were all too often set to "repel."

Landry Shamet (both in Philly and LAC) hit the comfortable home thing out of the park. Team play seemed better in LA versus Philly. He makes open shots. He moves extremely well without the ball. He has some handles with the ball. He finishes well and makes good decisions. His D is probably good to just OK, but his marksmanship makes him an uber threat.

McDuffie...if he can find a right home. If he can move without the ball and find spots on the floor where he can be productive. Not always trying to gravitate TOWARDS the ball. Passing the ball in a system, not becoming a volume shooter. Making good shots when you're open - not trying to save the world with your shot. Making good decisions with the basketball. He didn't play guard here at WSU, so he wasn't asked to be that decision maker. I don't know if he has enough experience with that yet. His D is probably OK. If he showed up at some of the teams and was just lights out shooter (a la LS), then yeah, maybe he gets a shot somewhere. I think he can still play professionally overseas if he desires.

When I think of the NBA, I think of the Harlem Globetrotters - it's not REAL basketball. They're a professional basketball system. The rules of the game AREN'T always enforced. This is the NBA. You need to entertain (in a good way). Its kind of like professional wrestling. With all of their skills, which of the WSU/NBA players could play a role on a Globetrotter team? FVV, check. RB, not so such. LS, maybe, probably. MM? I just don't see it.

Comment

• JVShocker
                          JVShocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No. I don't drink, actually. Maybe I should start. I've watched a lot of basketball. The NBA game is NOT real basketball. I won't apologize for the statement. And I am NOT alone in the belief that the NBA game is as fake as pro wrestling - okay, maybe not fake, but definitely corrupt. Maybe people don't see it because they ARE drinking during the game(s). Many instances of just weirdness.....
                          1. Its a fact that NBA refs have rigged/called games.
                          2. NBA Draft Lottery Knicks get Pat Ewing in lottery.
                          3. Kings/Lakers playoff series.
                          4. Giannis no calls on traveling.
                          5. Lebron no calls on traveling.
                          6. Harden no calls on traveling.
                          7. Repeated and completely blatant no calls on moving screens sometimes, and other times, whistle.
                          Whether or not you would like to admit it, professional sports are an entertainment industry. I'm not saying the game is scripted, I sure hope not anyway. It may not be "fake", but it looks corrupt from this side of the TV.

• OregonShocker
                          OregonShocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          As a long time STH for the NBA, I think your comments are...off. There is bias towards star power, but no more than in college basketball. IF you want to see the BEST basketball played, you look at the NBA. Don't believe me? Good... ask Fred or Ron or Landry if they feel they're pro wrestling equivalents.

• MikeKennedyRulZ
                          MikeKennedyRulZ commented
                          Editing a comment

Just read on fb that Duff has reached an agreement with the Pacers. Anyone else hear anything?
                        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• WstateU
                          WstateU commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Reached an agreement to play NBA Summer League in Vegas... hopefully, he'll show well.
                      Working...
                      X