No announcement yet.

Doug Gottlieb on Fred?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many assists did Freddy have in the total final series?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
    Doug just needs to have someone pimp slap him into reality. FVV didn't deserve to win the MVP, but getting a vote is not shocking. If you view FVV's Final's series holistically, his defense played an important part of Toronto wining the championship. Steph's season average FG shooting was 47%. He shot 41% in the Finals. Steph's 3 PT% season average was 43%, she shot 34% in the series. Steph shoots his average or better if FVV isn't guarding him.
    Has Curry been asked his opinion? I suspect he'd offer some props for Fred's defensive effort.

Comment

Gottlieb was a stud point guard at OSU except for the fact that he was dyslexic in the shooting department. I've never seen a D-1 guard who missed so much from the field. From that stand point he was a real liability for OSU. That and his ego seemed to have seared him for life. His relevance as a media personality seems to be based more on his being highly critical than anything else.

Comment

Gottlieb's bias against Fred (and anyone associated with Wich St) comes from the fact that he is an elitist.

Comment

• Kung Wu
          Kung Wu commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it's more of a deep-seated jealousy issue. Fred is not the only point guard he tried to minimize over the years -- just the one that WE felt.

if he was elite, he wouldn’t have spent time at okie-dokie state.

Comment

I remember an Andy Katz podcast from 2010 or so, maybe earlier, where Gottlieb referenced Wichita State fans filling the arena during the 20 loss seasons as “maybe the best fan base in the country”. I liked him from that and think he generally has pretty intelligent opinions and a good basketball IQ.

However, he lost me with the unnecessary FVV targeting and general BS.

And for him to still be butthurt about it and making comments like that years after the fact when Fred had a great series... that’s some weak sauce.

By the way, in addition to the stolen credit cards and the game shorts on backwards, if you really want a laugh about a point guard from a supposed basketball family that supposedly loves the game and played it skillfully... look at his career free throw stats. Worse than Shaq. 1 for 7, 1 for 3, 2 for 6 in NCAA tournament games and well under 50 percent each of his college seasons. And he got worse each year.

Almost unbelievable - I couldn’t believe it was true, much less that I remembered it. I mean, can anybody recall any D1 point guard ever shooting under 60 percent, let alone under 50 percent?

Comment

• WSUwatcher
            WSUwatcher commented
            Editing a comment
            Years ago -- when I was in college, in fact -- the Ted Owens Chickenhawks, whom I used to like to disparage even back then, had a PG named Aubrey Nash that I remember as a terrible foul shooter. So I looked him up, and in fact Nash shot .466 from the line during his three varsity seasons. He did at least just barely crack 50% his final season, however, which enabled him to beat Gottlieb, whose .433 senior season brought him in at .457 overall. (All stats from the Basketball Reference website.)

So it turns out the guy that I remember as an embarrassingly bad FT shooter from almost 50 (!) years ago -- an indication of how truly memorable his deficiency was, that it would stand out for me even now -- was actually better than Gottlieb was. Nice fundamentals, Dougie.

Comment

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            I was at that game; definitely a memorable moment. :)
        Working...
        X