Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aargh
    commented on 's reply
    There was this Rob Baker guy. He did OK after taking a redshirt.

• Wuzee
    commented on 's reply
    Fair enough. But in any event, I still don't see the downside. What do you lose by redshirting a scholarship player, regardless of the reason?

• Cdizzle
    commented on 's reply
    It's possible. Though kindof to my point as well. All hands on deck. There are injuries every year where additional depth is helpful.

• Cdizzle
    replied
    Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

To answer your questions:

Shaquille Morris.
    2013-14 (Freshman): Spent a redshirt year sculpting his body with strength coach Kerry Rosenboom to better prepare for Division I basketball… Made big strides with his conditioning, allowing him to sprint more in transition and contribute on both ends of the floor.

Before that, some guy named Ron Baker.
    2011-12 (Freshman): Added 12 pounds while working with the WSU strength and conditioning staff to go from 197 to 209… Requested a redshirt in order to get himself acclimated to college basketball… Appeared in one exhibition game against Emporia State, scoring six points in 16 minutes of action.

Circumstances indicate whether it's a good move or not. It's not "redshirt always bad!" Because redshirt often indicates the player has some deficiency to work on, statistically you will have a larger number that don't work out, but clearly there are success stories in our very recent past.

As far as it being "worth it" -- No one is guaranteed a roster spot the next year by redshirting, and the shirt can be pulled at any time if necessary, so I don't see any downside to it. He either addresses whatever deficiency he has during the season or or he doesn't. Either way, that has to happen in practice. Sitting on the bench and playing mop up doesn't really benefit anybody.
    I would fairly strongly contend that redshirting Morris was a waste of a scholarship year. Some will disagree, which is fine.

Ron Baker was not redshirted as a scholarship player. Him redshirting as a walk-on was a clever accounting way to get him on an already full roster.

Leave a comment:

• AndShock
    replied
    Rauno would’ve had a very valuable redshirt year if we didn’t have to pull it.

Leave a comment:

• pinstripers
    commented on 's reply
    PJ Coo

• jdshock
    replied
    Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    I hope the only potential redshirt is Udeze. I'm just not sold on redshirting for any reason other than injury at this point. All hands on deck.

Who was the last scholarship player to take an optional redshirt and stick around? Who was the last scholarship player to take an optional redshirt and it ended up being worth it for the program?

If they aren't ready enough to be competing for minutes, they likely aren't going to get there during a redshirt year. The train keeps moving. If they are on the fringe of getting meaningful minutes, I'm not sure it's in the best interest of the program to spend 5 scholarship years to get 4 playing years.
    I say it every time the conversation comes up, but I really dislike redshirting a freshman. I think a sophomore redshirt makes a ton of sense. If you get to the end of their freshman year and they don't have the potential to warrant sticking around, they can leave and not burn a year. If they have the potential but need time to develop (e.g., Nurger - barring injuries to Grady, obviously), give them a sophomore year redshirt. Morris was way better his senior year because he had a redshirt. Stutz would've benefited substantially from a redshirt year.

I totally agree that you don't want to waste it as a first year, since they may ultimately be better suited elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Wuzee
    replied
    Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    I hope the only potential redshirt is Udeze. I'm just not sold on redshirting for any reason other than injury at this point. All hands on deck.

Who was the last scholarship player to take an optional redshirt and stick around? Who was the last scholarship player to take an optional redshirt and it ended up being worth it for the program?

If they aren't ready enough to be competing for minutes, they likely aren't going to get there during a redshirt year. The train keeps moving. If they are on the fringe of getting meaningful minutes, I'm not sure it's in the best interest of the program to spend 5 scholarship years to get 4 playing years.
    To answer your questions:

Shaquille Morris.
    2013-14 (Freshman): Spent a redshirt year sculpting his body with strength coach Kerry Rosenboom to better prepare for Division I basketball… Made big strides with his conditioning, allowing him to sprint more in transition and contribute on both ends of the floor.

Before that, some guy named Ron Baker.
    2011-12 (Freshman): Added 12 pounds while working with the WSU strength and conditioning staff to go from 197 to 209… Requested a redshirt in order to get himself acclimated to college basketball… Appeared in one exhibition game against Emporia State, scoring six points in 16 minutes of action.

Circumstances indicate whether it's a good move or not. It's not "redshirt always bad!" Because redshirt often indicates the player has some deficiency to work on, statistically you will have a larger number that don't work out, but clearly there are success stories in our very recent past.

As far as it being "worth it" -- No one is guaranteed a roster spot the next year by redshirting, and the shirt can be pulled at any time if necessary, so I don't see any downside to it. He either addresses whatever deficiency he has during the season or or he doesn't. Either way, that has to happen in practice. Sitting on the bench and playing mop up doesn't really benefit anybody.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerPrez
    replied
    WSU was not a tourney team last year. To me, that says we were not talented enough to say to anyone we have now that they aren't good enough to play serious minutes. Everyone on the team could be the guy that makes the team better.

If we were returning a bunch of guys from a tourney run, then maybe we could ask a newcomer to redshirt. But right now, we need all the guys we can to put them into the machine and see what kind of sausage we have.

And they can shoot and score, they should get minutes. Cause, oh my, we need shooters!

Leave a comment:

• Cdizzle
    commented on 's reply
    Agree they ended up fine players elsewhere. But what's the point of the WSU program footing the bill for any part of that? Lace em up and see if you can contribute.

• Cdizzle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pie n eye
    commented on 's reply
    That seems pretty reasonable based on what we know. Fernandes redshirting makes me a little wary based on the success of past redshirt guards (most if not all ended up transferring?) but it’s not fair to plot his future based on the careers of Holland or Henderson Jr. Besides, both ended up as pretty good players, just not with the Shockers.

• WuDrWu
    commented on 's reply
    Jamarius Burton is impressive AF. Big time athlete, competitive, cerebral, hard working, polite and intelligent. Not sure what else you'd want from a young man.

• shock
    commented on 's reply
    I predict Burton starts at the 1 in the beginning, Sherfield backs him up. Fernandez redshirts, Etienne plays at the 2, and gets minimal 1 time.

• wufan
    replied
    Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post

You’re telling me if they roll Midtgaard out at the point you wouldn’t be a little surprised?
    Asbjorn has shown tremendous improvement in his handles!

Seriously though; Burton, Sherfield, Fernandes, and Etienne will all get a shot at PG. two will play 35 + minutes at that position.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X