Summer Scrimmage reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
    What a great discussion, but what if we paly a 5-3-3-1-1- lineup? ;)
    It's worked for the Warriors.

Comment

• Signman
      Signman commented
      Editing a comment
      And the Raptors.

• ShockingButTrue
      ShockingButTrue commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep.

It's a game of skill.

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
    What a great discussion, but what if we paly a 5-3-3-1-1- lineup? ;)
    No issues with that as long as one of the threes is 6-8, 235, and one of the ones shoots 45% from 3.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Let’s say that two of Fernandes, Sheffield, and Etienne are drastically underrated, and are NBA bound prior to their senior season. That makes them good for 60 minutes a game. Then Stevenson plays 10 mpg at the 2 and 15 mpg at the three. Burton plays 10 mpg at the 1 and 15 mpg at the 3. That means Dennis covers 10 mpg at the 3 and 20 at the 4. Wade covers the rest of the PF minutes. In order to make Dennis work at the 4 we need 60 minutes from our freshman! 60! .........effing 60!

I hope Dennis is forced to play the 4.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s been said Etienne is the most college ready player GM has ever signed. He may play 25 min a game by himself.

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        Dennis should only play the 4 in spurts, depending on matchup. IPBC, Gordon and Wade should be the main guys at the 4. Also keep in mind we will run AM and JE together in some circumstances.

• wufan
        wufan commented
        Editing a comment
        I could be misremembering, but I believe HCGM said TE had the most college ready body. Regardless of the quote or the minutes he plays, I am expecting big things from TE and GS sooner rather than later.

• A 6-4 or 6-5 Four Man worked in the Valley. Not so much in the AAC. Not to say it can’t. It simply will be more of a match up problem in our current league. Several teams had 6-9 and 6-10 power forwards.

Comment

• The 3-point shot has changed the game. The game is moving to 4 guys at the 3-point line and a post player setting screens for driving perimeter players or trying to seal his guy for an entry pass. The 5 is more important as a shot blocker than as a scorer.

Marshall (the school) beat the Shox by having 4 guys on the 3-point line. The moment a perimeter player beat their primary defender with a drive, there was always a dish to an open 3-point shooter when the Shox had to drop a defender to cover the driver.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post
          A 6-4 or 6-5 Four Man worked in the Valley. Not so much in the AAC. Not to say it can’t. It simply will be more of a match up problem in our current league. Several teams had 6-9 and 6-10 power forwards.
          Agreed. If the model is tournament success and Final Fours, there won't be many lineups with a 6'4 or 6'5 power forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Agreed. If the model is tournament success and Final Fours, there won't be many lineups with a 6'4 or 6'5 power forward.
            While I think any team needs flexibility, the 4 guard lineup isn't a new strategy or a strategy limited to MVC schools.

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/articl...ll-2439722.php

It is being used more and more and also is being used by Power 5 schools. Ideally, you have taller lineups with taller guards. 6'4 and 6'5 point guards are becoming more plentiful in our current basketball environment, and 6'8 guards are becoming more plentiful as stretch forwards. However, Argh's statement about having perimeter players who can shoot it from 3 point land, and who also have the ability to get to the rim (and also for the best stretch players can shoot it from mid-range) are what is becoming more popular as opposed to stretch players who can post up and "clog" up the lane and prevent offensive movement. Additionally, players who are flexible, and guard multiple players and who can all rebound are part of what teams are striving for.

Good coaches don't limit teams because "this is the way we've always done it". Your lack of imagination to one post and 4 guards is similar to a lack of imagination of using two 5'11 or 6' guards when they are your best players as Toronto did with Fred and (the other small point guard's name slips my mind), did to win the NBA Championship.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
              ShockingButTrue commented
              Editing a comment
              I have no problem with 2 6' guards on the floor if they're skilled. That's my model of choice (i.e., skilled).

But I do stand by my post, without asserting whether I support it or not, in stating most teams don't start 6'4.5" power forwards who've participated in Final Fours... We sure didn't. Can you name any, excluding teams from the 50's and 60's?

It was just a relevant point, that's all...

• It’s not a lack of imagination. I can imagine Dennis playing the 4, just like Ben Smith and Evan Wessel. Those were good teams! It’s that you loose certain advantages by playing small. All things being equal, more height is better, and even if your best team lacks height, you need to be able to play height in certain circumstances.

Yes, Dennis can play the four, but this team would be better if he didn’t have to.

BTW, Marshall started two 6-9 guys and brought three guys off the bench that were 6-7 to 6-9.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Shockm
              Shockm commented
              Editing a comment
              I will only say that Dexter is quite a bit thicker and more athletic than Ben and Wessel. But while I don’t mind him playing the 4 if it makes us better with our wealth of guards, his main value to us will be the 3.

• wufan
              wufan commented
              Editing a comment
              THICKER than Evan? Dude was stout.

• That is a storng looking freshman. Happy Birthday Ty!

Comment

• That is a muscular young man

Comment

• Be interesting to see what Gordon looks like by October. Hoping for more muscle and a somewhat modified hair do.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  That is a storng looking freshman. Happy Birthday Ty!

DM.jpg

Spitting image...

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                  That is a muscular young man
                  Pogo, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?
                  Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ... or seen a grown man naked?

• I may have been the first on the board to suggest DD at the four especially when JB is at point and either TE or GS at the
                  other guard spot and ES is at the small forward. All four probably play a little bigger and stronger than their size suggests
                  and DD plays larger than his. I am hoping for a FAST athletic team that plays up tempo. Gordon may fit in well. If we
                  need to play more half court offense we then play two bigs together and pound it inside. We are going to have the tools
                  to play both ways. The deciding factor will be who our top 7-8 defensive players are.

Comment

• TheShocktocles
                    TheShocktocles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree that the deciding factor will be who our top 7-8 defensive players. are. Defense travels.

• If Dexter is playing the 4 for any reason other than coach messing about and trying something gimmicky, then our recruiting has been a failure or we have injuries worse than I care to fathom.
                  Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Working...
                  X