Different Levels of Coaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Levels of Coaching

Good morning shockernet, I have some off-season topics to discuss.

Why is it so hard for GREAT college coaches to make it in the NBA? Is the coaching talent that different from college, just as the worst NBA player could dominate in college?

For those who know, or who have next level coaching, even if it's indirect: what's the most profound differences between college and NBA? College and high school? Etc etc.. I think there's a lot here to discuss, many different layers.

Which means we'll prolly end up fixating on something 100% off topic.
    Last edited by ShockAzs; May 19, 2019, 08:49 AM. Reason: Slightly more accurate post and spell corrections

Originally posted by Root Angry View Post
    Which means we'll prolly end up fixating on something 100% off topic.
    But not all of the spell corrections, RA -- the word is "probably," not "prolly." Otherwise, you're probably right about being off topic -- I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Shocker Men's basketball, so there's a head start. And let me keep the theme going with some thread police activity.

Comment

• ShockAzs
      ShockAzs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thread policing, now we're talkin! Getting this thread started off right!

The short answer is because it’s hard for any coach to make it in the NBA. How good your front office and roster is dictates how well you do almost as much as your actual coaching abilities. John Beilein for example is an excellent coach but will likely fail because his roster is young and rebuilding. Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan on the other hand have had decent success but a better roster and/or front office to work with.

I think its worth noting that the lack of success can work both ways. Avery Johnson was an NBA coach of the year, but look what he did at Alabama. Look at what Isiah Thomas did at Florida international or Mike Dunleavy at Tulane. Also, there are several former NBA assistant coaches who couldn’t make it as a D1 coach.

Comment

• ShockAzs
      ShockAzs commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn good point there. Goes to show what it really takes. From the assistants to the HC to the AD etc etc.

Then you could have good pieces but they don't fit well together. But other than having the proper back office type support, what other things make it very hard to go from college to NBA coaching?

Is the failure rate higher going from college to NBA, or could it be considered equal with NBA coaches failing at the college level?

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

But not all of the spell corrections, RA -- the word is "probably," not "prolly." Otherwise, you're probably right about being off topic -- I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Shocker Men's basketball, so there's a head start. And let me keep the theme going with some thread police activity.
    I know how to spell probably, but I like to use the internet slang, shortened version of it.

Anyway, I think it has something to do with Men's Basketball at Wichita, because as we know, Gregg is now coaching at the highest levels of college basketball. And an excellent, HoF caliber coach, in my opinion.

What would happen if he jumped to the NBA?

Comment

Here’s another BIG difference between college and NBA...

At WSU, Gregg is the unquestioned leader of the WSU program. His word is the law. Barring something highly immoral or illegal, Gregg will always have higher standing than the players.

If Gregg coaches, say, the Lakers, he most certainly is not the leader of the team. Not only would he have a front office and owner running the show, but there’s also a guy named LeBron who has something to say about how things go. If Gregg and LeBron disagree on something, who do you think ownership will back?
      78-65

Comment

Big difference is the recruiting game. In the NBA it’s about managing personalities.

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          Might add this: Managing personalities that can get you fired. This piggybacks on what WuShock16 posted.

Based on all the metrics that are available, it also seems that defense done well is oriented more around working to have players take shots from their weak areas, rather than full on, lock down, in your face defense like we are more apt to see in the college game.
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• OregonShocker
          OregonShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          This. You're not going to stop Harden, Curry, et al. with "in your face" defense. You have to get them to play out of their comfort zone. That takes the whole team as opposed to, say, a Cotton alone. BUT, back to the topic at hand, I'm not sure college coaches jumping have any better success than NBA coaches within the association. How many coaches get fired, then get (sometimes almost immediately) rehired, fired again, etc. Just because you recognize a name doesn't mean they've been a successful coach; may mean they've been tossed about like a hot potato... Don Nelson comes to mind...

OregonShocker, Don Nelson did pretty well

Don Nelson, Lenny Wilkens, Jerry Sloan, and Pat Riley top the list of the NBA's 10 all-time winningest coaches.
        • Don Nelson, 1,335. ...
        • Jerry Sloan, 1,221. ...
        • Pat Riley, 1,210. ...
        • Phil Jackson, 1,155. ...
        • Larry Brown, 1,098 (plus 229 in the ABA)

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• OregonShocker
          OregonShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, that's part of my point. In each (I'm pretty sure) of those scenarios he was either let go or resigned due to player or ownership pressure; tossed from team to team yet a good coach. I guess I meant to express that in the NBA coaching changes happen frequently; not expected unless you're "moving up" in the college ranks. I guess the answer I should've expressed better was, "College coaches aren't that much more or less successful in the NBA than NBA coaches are successful in the NBA."

college basketball coaches are generally fiery and intense.. kind of in your face. nba coaches are laid back and chilled.. they have to be. there's your difference.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
          college basketball coaches are generally fiery and intense.. kind of in your face. nba coaches are laid back and chilled.. they have to be. there's your difference.
          Also...…..82 games plus exhibitions and playoffs plus also working with professional men and women reduces the need to be fiery and intense

Comment

Originally posted by 1989 View Post
            The short answer is because it’s hard.
            That what she said!

Comment

Working...
            X