No announcement yet.

Penny's Memphis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd think, on paper, WSU's best match-up against a big who can go outside to the 3 pt. line would be Wade. He has size, quickness and a year at the D1 level. Why not?

Jamie and the Bear ain't gonna be guarding a post out deep, one would think.

Just as important, if not more, would be how is Wiseman going to guard OUR posts' down low? GGG's gonna test him like that...

Comment

• I think Jamie may have the athleticism to do more perimeter guarding. He and PB are still works in progress and may show steps of progress with more experience this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        I think Jamie may have the athleticism to do more perimeter guarding. He and PB are still works in progress and may show steps of progress with more experience this year.
        I'm not so sure he can't, but, I haven't seen him do it so far in his brief career.

But I'd think GGG would want him close to the glass on D because he's a pretty active board-getter (and shot blocker).

Comment

• Don't sleep on Udeze. He's ready to come back and have a an impact......https://twitter.com/MorrisUdeze12?lang=en

Comment

• im4wsu
            im4wsu commented
            Editing a comment
            It hurts to see the scoreboard on some of these highlights

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
          I'd think, on paper, WSU's best match-up against a big who can go outside to the 3 pt. line would be Wade. He has size, quickness and a year at the D1 level. Why not?

Jamie and the Bear ain't gonna be guarding a post out deep, one would think.

Just as important, if not more, would be how is Wiseman going to guard OUR posts' down low? GGG's gonna test him like that...
          From what I’ve seen with Wiseman and the way Penny played him in AAU and HS, I don’t think you will see him in the post. The big kid that transferred from Louisville and the center that came with Wiseman from HS would probably be the posts. Wiseman played the 3-4 in most games, using his outside shooting and driving skills to get his points. He got a lot of assets in driving in. That will be a challenge for defenders with Precious Achiuwa in their lineup.

Memphis just got another NBA assistant that is famous for developing players. He was the NBA development coach for Blake Griffin and a head coach in the NBA DL. They got the strength coach away from Texas A&M, who is highly respected. A lot of pieces are coming together for Memphis to be tough this year.

Comment

• Dan
            Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            He’s a Kevin Durant. A 7 foot stretch 4.

• We shall see.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSM View Post

From what I’ve seen with Wiseman and the way Penny played him in AAU and HS, I don’t think you will see him in the post. The big kid that transferred from Louisville and the center that came with Wiseman from HS would probably be the posts. Wiseman played the 3-4 in most games, using his outside shooting and driving skills to get his points. He got a lot of assets in driving in. That will be a challenge for defenders with Precious Achiuwa in their lineup.

Memphis just got another NBA assistant that is famous for developing players. He was the NBA development coach for Blake Griffin and a head coach in the NBA DL. They got the strength coach away from Texas A&M, who is highly respected. A lot of pieces are coming together for Memphis to be tough this year.
            It sounds like they're putting together a staff as potent as WSU's, capable of developing a student athlete on all 3 levels. Who's the defensive guru on the Tigers' staff?

D. Dennis is more than capable of guarding the drive and dish if a forward like Precious is out there floating. Our bigs will be waiting if Wiseman decides to keep it and drive to the cup... NBA size down there.

Comment

• Also one of the things I like about the shockers next year is that the coaching staff are all here. In the past two years our team has been adding new coaches and going through adjustments etc. For the first time in some years everybody that is here was coaching last year for our guys.

Comment

• Heard Penny on the Jim Rome Show this morning and he said "We're gonna run and NBA offense with a college defense". Not that is some amazing coaching acumen right there. Good luck getting all of those high profile recruits to play "college defense". Again, we shall see...

He was also lamenting the amount of patience you have to have and that he has to tell his kids the same thing over and over.

Comment

• Awesome Sauce Malone
                  Awesome Sauce Malone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You sound kind of mad about that? And maybe mad is the wrong emotion but emotional about something like this isnt a good deal.

• Not emotional or mad at all. HAA! Just because I'm not licking their n**ts doesn't mean I'm mad. Do you think his assessment is an astute one or an achievable one?

Comment

• Awesome Sauce Malone
                  Awesome Sauce Malone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Should I care enough to?

• MikeKennedyRulZ
                  MikeKennedyRulZ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's up to you. You were spouting off so it sounded like you had an issue.

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                Heard Penny on the Jim Rome Show this morning and he said "We're gonna run and NBA offense with a college defense". Not that is some amazing coaching acumen right there. Good luck getting all of those high profile recruits to play "college defense". Again, we shall see...

He was also lamenting the amount of patience you have to have and that he has to tell his kids the same thing over and over.
                90% of what they run is man to man press or zone press to slow you down. Then they go man to man under the basket. They usually don’t go to zone until a key player is in foul trouble. He has always liked quick, nagging defenses that cut off passing lanes. They force a lot of turnovers. It may be totally different with this team because he has so many options with skill sets, size match ups, and quickness. But, I would except more of the same.

Comment

• Comment

• I'd actually be likely to cheer for Memphis (i will anyways in the non-con) but there are a lot of fans that seriously expect them to go undefeated.

Comment

• Well, now they are in the mix for Kerry Blackshear, the highest rated graduate transfer. He has height and weight, so he would be a force in the middle that they might be missing. If this kid signs with Penny, the Kentucky board is saying (A Sea of Blue) Memphis is an instant final 4 team. Blackshear held his own in the ACC so he has been battle tested. I am glad this is their final scholarship.

Comment

• Easy there. The games aren't played on paper Memphis fan. I will say it again, where will the playing time come from? Do you think any of these highly rated kids are going to be happy playing 10 minutes a game?

Comment

Working...
                        X