Penny's Memphis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
    Penny is definitely cheating but that makes no difference until he gets caught.
    T

...:cool:
    Yeah, I'm not even sure that getting caught would make a difference. Where does Memphis stand with the NCAA; alongside UNC or beneath UMass?

Comment

If he is not cheating, I expect KU and Kentucky to start paying players again or add more money to sweeten the pot. Would you rather play at Memphis for free or Kentucky for $200,000?

I know my answer.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        Paying their players AGAIN... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

T

if you're a true one-and-done, why would you give a crap about getting caught? you take the cash and 10 months later you're in the NBA. You don't care if you're school gets busted. The real problem is that there's about 100 kids that think they're one and done and those others that get caught end up losing eligibility and most likely are never heard from again.

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

Yeah, I'm not even sure that getting caught would make a difference. Where does Memphis stand with the NCAA; alongside UNC or beneath UMass?
        Ummm... if Memphis gets caught they are hammered, just like last time. UNC, Dook, Kentucky, and Chicken aren't part of the club... they are the club.

If I'm Penny I hire a few ex-CIA as consultants. Use the dark web, Crypto, manufactured jobs, etc.

T

Comment

Until proven otherwise, I'm going with Penny pulled this off all on his own without any necessary cheating. Otherwise he is an absolute fool if he did not realize how closely his recruiting practices will be dug into for having brought in such a fantastic recruiting class this early in his coaching career, at a non- Power 5 school.

If he did it honestly, then more power to him, and to Memphis. But if he cheated, then he deserves to be quartered.

This could also result in a bonus for the entire Conference if several of our other brother schools, including us, raise the American to where it can not be denied Power 5/6 conference status.

Comment

I assure you we would be under the NCAA microscope if we went from NIT team to #1 recruiting class in one year.

Comment

• 60Shock
              60Shock commented
              Editing a comment
              Hell, Dan, we would be under 100 times more scrutiny than President Trump if we ever had even a Top 25 recruiting class.

The NCAA will probably put more resources into investigating Memphis than they will use for investigating ALL the P5's involved in the Adidas deal.

Priorities. Both Memphis and the FBI investigation pose a threat to the NCAA's cash cows. That has to be investigated.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

What evidence do you guys have that Penny is cheating? Some of you sound just like the Kstate fans that said Marshall was cheating because we got two four star guards. They were wrong and jealous. It's clear to me that Penny has a prior relationship with a lot of these players because he coached them in high school and AAU ball. Heck 6 of the players on his roster are from Memphis. Let's not forget that Penny is a hometown hero to Memphis and played in the NBA which is where most of these guys want to go. It's an easy sale to these players.

In addition he has got the number 1 ranked player in the country going to Memphis in James Wiseman. A lot of great players want to play with Wiseman. It's no different than Cliff Livingston saying he wanted to play with Antione. It's no different than Landry Shamet saying he wanted to play with Fred and Ron.

If they turn up evidence that Penny is cheating I will be all over him and Memphis like I am on the other cheaters. However right now he made the correct decision by not hiring Larry Brown. Penny has got a long way to go before he can catch up on the cheating like Bill Self , John Calapari, Roy Williams, Ricky Pitino, Jim Boehiem, Bruce Pearl, Tom Izzo, Will Wade and coach K. There are a lot of blueblood people mad that these players did not go to blueblood schools so they scream CHEATING. I am surprised that some of you fell for this scam when everybody knows who the real cheaters are. Rockchauk.

Comment

• MikeKennedyRulZ
                MikeKennedyRulZ commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly what AndShock said. These kids are not turning down hundreds of thousands from the cheater schools to sign with Memphis for nothing. And to think that the cheating schools aren't still finding a way to pay their players is complete naivete.

• ShockingButTrue
                ShockingButTrue commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought WSU signed 3 4* guards?

Wasn't there a site that had all of our recruits rated as 4*'s?

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                Sean Miller feels left out

Maybe the cheaters don’t have any open pockets right now, so the recruits are deciding for other reasons.
              Livin the dream

Comment

PS I forgot Sean Miller at Arizona. Oh yeah you guys have some interesting thoughts and theories. They make for a fun discussion on message boards. But my question was what evidence do you have that Penny is cheating?

Comment

I think it's unwise to just assume he's cheating at this point. Penny has the cred to make these kids believe he can get them into the NBA as a lottery pick, and rightly so. And he's probably a hell of a salesman. The argument that recruits are not likely to give up cash under the table at a blue blood for nothing at Memphis is a legitimate one, but it's also fair to speculate that due to the FBI investigation, most of those deals have dried up.

If Penny is doing this legitimately, and there's at least a reasonable likelihood he is, it's only good for us and the rest of the American. It's much easier for HCGM to pick up 4* and 5* guys for us if he can guarantee them they'll be playing conference games against other high level recruits.
                  "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

KU's recruiting class is ranked #31. That would seem to indicate that at least KU isn't paying this year.

Hardaway probably has the best connections with AAU coaches of any coach in D1. He's 6'7" and about the same age (47) as a lot of theparents of the kids he's recruiting. He had a similar young life as many of the players he's recruiting. Hardaway can walk into the house of a player he's recruiting and have a connection and rapport with that player the moment he walks through the door.

I'm also not buying into the "can't coach" theories becing tossed around. He was a PG. A multi-year AA PG in college. PG's tend to know some X's and O's. Other than a few WSU fans, it seems EVERYBODY likes the guy.

Memphis and Hardaway did the Shox a huge favor. Past history indicates Marshall does better with a team that's an underdog. If any WSU fans ever wanted another shot at the UK teams that took the Shox out of the tourney, it looks like Hardaway is going to give the Shox the equivalent of those games 2 or 3 times a year.

Just because the Memphis posters on the AAC board may be hard to take, that shouldn't affect any attitude toward Hardaway. The WSU fans who were on the AAC board early were probably every bit as bad as Memphis fans are now. That doesn't make Marshall a bad coach.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• WstateU
                      WstateU commented
                      Editing a comment
                      FWIW - KU's close to signing two 5 stars; they'll 'rocket' up the rankings soon.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    Memphis and Hardaway did the Shox a huge favor. Past history indicates Marshall does better with a team that's an underdog. If any WSU fans ever wanted another shot at the UK teams that took the Shox out of the tourney, it looks like Hardaway is going to give the Shox the equivalent of those games 2 or 3 times a year.
                    You go that right!!!

With a team better equipped I might add (on paper).

Comment

So bleacher report just posted a pic from memphis recruiting class with the caption saying “ We want all the smoke.” For those that don’t know what it means, it means they want everything you got! I hope the shox shuts this team down! Cause after seeing that they’re getting a little too cocky now!

Comment

Anybody who thinks that the latest investigation in to cheating in College Basketball is slowing down the cheating and paying of players is completely naive. It will never stop. The schools who are cheating have been doing it forever and aren't going to just say "oh wow, they are serious now, we better stop.".

Comment

Working...
                        X