Penny's Memphis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
    My fear has been that Memphis, Houston, Connecticut, and Cincy can more often than not dominate the league due to bigger recruiting bases and their respective histories...a team like WSU getting to occasionally play the spoiler role. I can't feel too good about these teams upbeat prospects and super recruiting news. It won't be a good thing if WSU is usually stuck in the second tier of the AAC.
    I understand your concern (which is probably more what you meant). It is a fact these schools are in larger metropolitan areas and have very good high school programs around them. They have an advantage of being able to recruit locally. Our challenge will be that we have to recruit more on a national level. It's not impossible, i.e. the Zags. I think this is a legitimate concern, but believe that is where a head coach like Few or Marshall makes the difference. Also, Penny might be at Memphis a long time because he breathes Memphis. Coaches at Houston, Connecticut, and Cincy are looking to build a team that will get them a new P5 gig. Few, Marshall, and Hardaway will be fixtures at their representative schools for a long time. So take heart, my friend, we have an advantage that most of those don't in a nationally respected coach.

Comment

• Stickboy46
      Stickboy46 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't expect Penny to be at Memphis long term. He either A: crashes and burns and gets fired, or B: Does well enough to get an NBA gig.

• WSUwatcher
      WSUwatcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said, WSM -- if WSU needs to cast its recruiting net wide, it will do so (look at the rosters under 3G), and with the help of an affiliation with the American rather than the Valley, it will do just fine in the process. Gonzaga took a number of years, even with Mark Few at the helm, to be able to recruit as it does -- and there's nothing Gonzaga can do that's beyond the capacity of WSU.

Those other programs do have advantages: metro areas with more local talent, university size and alumni base in some cases. football revenue, long membership in a power conference. I have also had fleeting concerns that the Shocks may struggle to break into the top 2 or 3 on any given year. However . . .

WSU and coach Marshall haven't had long to truly take advantage of being in the AAC from a recruiting perspective. We are already seeing dividends with the signing of Lomax (even though he didn't come, still probably not happening in the MVC), Dexter Dennis and the 2019 class. And that is with a somewhat down conference. When Memphis and UConn rejoin the top of the league, the rising tide should lift all boats. And as long as we can stay top 4-5 in the league, borderline top-25, and in the NCAA at-large conversation (at a minimum), I expect more four-star, top-100 recruits, with a five-star not far off on the horizon.

Comment

Sorry friend.... I fat.fingered the button and it gave you an unlike. I ment for it to be a like. I hate doing this on me cell phone. Should have had my grandson do it!

Comment

If it gets to the point where WSU is playing the "spoiler" role, that would mean one of two things.

1) WSU has taken a turn for the worse... I'm not banking on that

or

2) The league has taken a turn for the better, looking more like a traditional power conference than a lower level conference. A look at the selection committee's recent decisions would suggest that if the league got more competitive with more high caliber teams, the net result would be more AAC teams in the tourney with better seeds. Many of the teams would have a worse record for sure, but the margin for error would be much more forgiving. Look at how many "middle of the pack" Power 5 teams get in each year.

Comment

• HashThat
          HashThat commented
          Editing a comment
          It is definitely the latter. The American is a much better conference now, there will be ebbs and flows, but it is a MUCH BETTER conference. Tulane and East Carolina stepped up their games coaching-wise and the fruits of those hires will bear itself out. Wichita State will be a contender in this conference.

Memphis is impressing recruiting media, but winning the Signing Period does not equate to winning a National Championship. You want to impress a niched, unaccountable media OR do you want to hang banners, cut down nets and bring home trophies. Fit comes before perceived talent.

As long as Gregg Marshall is the coach at WSU we’ll be competing for AAC championships more often than not.

IMO

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

Coach Turgeon....is that you?
          Funny I was thinking the same thing. How can we forget the quote of the KU graduate. " It just so hard at this level" " " "We recognize that it's always going to be the chicken hawks and the kittens. " WTF What a stupid statement by Turgeon. This is precisely why I don't talk to their fans. Coach Marshall does not allow others to say what the shocks ceiling is. going to be. Go shocks.

Comment

His first season were predominantly Tubby players who contributed to their success or lack thereof... Next season will predominantly be all his guys... So let's see if he can get it done.

Comment

I like a coach who talks in terms of National titles.

I also like point guard recruits who also openly express the same sentiment, a la G. Sherfield.

I. Ain't. Worried.

Comment

I will add another thing that we have in spades to the other programs - fan support. Houston is weak, Memphis is hot and cold, UConn is pretty good, Cincy is very good like us. These are the top 5 programs in the league and we are top 2 in community/fan support, which is huge.

Comment

I truly think we have a top tier program in this conference. Only Cincinnati compares in terms of current overall program strength. Houston, UCONN, Memphis, and Temple make up 2nd tier, but a very close 2nd. Really what separates the 2 groups is program consistency and "scare factor" in the past decade. I'd be afraid to play either WSU or Cincy, and definitely ready for a slugout with the other teams. Each school mentioned has a storied basketball program, and just needs a strong year to bring them to national prominence.

Penny scares me a little. His recruiting did not take a nose dive this year. It got better. But frankly, so did ours. I question if Penny is ready to keep this up for the long haul as Gregg surely is. UCONN has all the makings of a scary team with Hurley at the helm.

I can't wait for the next season. Should be the best one in the AAC yet!

Comment

Originally posted by DocLove View Post
                    I truly think we have a top tier program in this conference. Only Cincinnati compares in terms of current overall program strength. Houston, UCONN, Memphis, and Temple make up 2nd tier, but a very close 2nd. Really what separates the 2 groups is program consistency and "scare factor" in the past decade. I'd be afraid to play either WSU or Cincy, and definitely ready for a slugout with the other teams. Each school mentioned has a storied basketball program, and just needs a strong year to bring them to national prominence.

Penny scares me a little. His recruiting did not take a nose dive this year. It got better. But frankly, so did ours. I question if Penny is ready to keep this up for the long haul as Gregg surely is. UCONN has all the makings of a scary team with Hurley at the helm.

I can't wait for the next season. Should be the best one in the AAC yet!
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• WSM
                      WSM commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Precious Achiuwa just committed to Memphis. Another 5 star..........A Birmingham reporter wrote that Trendon Watford would be committing to Memphis tomorrow, too. Another 5 star.........Man, Penny is killing it if that is true.

Comment

• WstateU
                      WstateU commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I love it and can't wait until that show comes to town... hope I'm still around for that one. :)

Memphis has got to be over the salary cap by now with all of these 5-start recruits.

Comment

I'm juiced about Memphis. Bring it on! This can't do anything but help us up our game. This is what the AAC move was/is all about. Getting top tier teams into our barn and raising our profile. It's awesome bay bay!

Comment

But Holy Crap!

Comment

Working...
                        X