Season Ticket Renewals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 12eagle View Post
    Go to an OKC Thunder game and see how a game is supposed to be produced. They somehow limit the cheap timeout promotions all while having a payroll over 150 million.
    Whoa! We’re supposed to compare to an OKC Thunder game? The cheap seats are $50 per and the average is $200 per. They average double the number of tickets sold per game and have twice as many home games.

The ticket prices appear to cover the payroll. I guess they make the rest of their income elsewhere.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

Whoa! We’re supposed to compare to an OKC Thunder game? The cheap seats are $50 per and the average is $200 per. They average double the number of tickets sold per game and have twice as many home games.

The ticket prices appear to cover the payroll. I guess they make the rest of their income elsewhere.
      The Thunder also don't have to provide most of the support for volleyball, track and field teams, women's basketball, baseball, softball, tennis teams and golf teams. While the great majority of the Shocker men's basketball season ticketholders don't have a lot of interest in these other sports they are supporting them financially. And by the same token when you directly support any of these other program you are helping the men's basketball program by reducing the amount they need to subsidize.

There is little choice in this matter because the Shocks sponsor pretty much the minimum number of sports needed to qualify for Division I classification. I would be all for adding football if it could ease this burden on the men's basketball program but I fear it would only exacerbate it. Plus it seems like many fans are nearing their financial limits as is. I guess we can hold out hope for a mega sugar daddy to emerge but I'm not counting on it.

Hopefully, over time the move to the AAC will provide some relief but the ever increasing costs of scholarship will most likely remain unless we get the free college for all being promised by some politicians. Of course, if that happens your SASO bill will be replaced with a much higher tax bill.

I think what it really boils down to is the search for dollars. Still some improvements to the in-game production could no doubt still be made. On the other hand a lot of folks these days use the stoppages in plays to get on their mobile phones.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 12, 2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• abdullah_sharif
        abdullah_sharif commented
        Editing a comment
        "free college" definitely isn't free.. and i'd lay some serious coin in a bet that the higher levels of college dropouts that we see now when people have to pay will pail in comparison to the incredibly high number if students don't have any skin in the game.

history has shown when people pay for things, we take pride in that ownership. when its "free", we treat it as junk.

• Dark Lord
        Dark Lord commented
        Editing a comment
        They also get on their phones because there is nothing at all engaging during those times. Pointless and boring promotions that suck the life out of the arena.

basketball does support an increasing portion of the athletic dept.. hopefully the aac deals can help a bit but it starts with leadership. most of the things that season ticket holders have asked the university to improve on can be completed with interns - meaning that the cost to the university is most likely next to nothing.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know to what extent they use interns now but I do know they do use them to some extent.

Ironically, the “cheap seats” at CKA do work out to roughly $50/ea per game, at least with respect to season tickets. The expensive ones are far north of $200/ea. And considering something like 85% of the arena are season ticket holders...

Comment

• proshox
        proshox commented
        Editing a comment
        This^^^

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Ironically, the “cheap seats” at CKA do work out to roughly $50/ea per game, at least with respect to season tickets. The expensive ones are far north of $200/ea. And considering something like 85% of the arena are season ticket holders...
      I literally can’t believe we are comparing college basketball out of game production to NBA out of game production and pissed that ours isn’t on par.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        That I agree with. Apples and oranges.

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        What a terrible idea to take some tips from someone that is doing a better job than WSU is at game production.

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        I literally can't believe wufan would take exception to that.

I literally can’t believe we are comparing college basketball out of game production to NBA out of game production and pissed that ours isn’t on par.
      I didn’t say that. I was simply elaborating on what season tickets cost at CKA for MBB as it appeared you had no idea. And since the massive majority of seats filled there are season tickets it’s highly relevant.

You’re reasoning for why a different product should be expected at an NBA event (not something with which I disagree) partially hinged on the idea that tickets are greatly more expensive OKC vs WSU, and I’m not sure that’s actually true.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

I didn’t say that. I was simply elaborating on what season tickets cost at CKA for MBB as it appeared you had no idea. And since the massive majority of seats filled there are season tickets it’s highly relevant.

You’re reasoning for why a different product should be expected at an NBA event (not something with which I disagree) partially hinged on the idea that tickets are greatly more expensive OKC vs WSU, and I’m not sure that’s actually true.
        I was only pointing out ticket revenue to show the way they cover payroll. I am very much aware how much tickets cost...$25 per seat per game. Then there is the enormous SASO cost that can only be used to cover scholarships. This is a ridiculous comparison.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Topshock
          Topshock commented
          Editing a comment
          You are ridiculous to not think it would be a good idea to look at better game productions and learn from them.

I was not lucky enough to make it to a road game this year (first miss since 2003) but I’m curious how we compare to our aac peers in production and management? imo, there’s no reason that we should lag anyone in our conference.

i’d rather see a college atmosphere like okla state or baylor... a sharp 180 from the nba d-league production we have in place. just my unsolicited $0.02

Comment

• BigWigShock
          BigWigShock commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree 100% on the OSU statement, can't give a first hand comment on the Baylor. My recollection of the road trip to OSU a couple of years or so ago is they did the 'fan games' at a frenetic pace one after the other and got them out of the way at half time instead of the 'slow death' timeout distraction we experience here. I don't remember what the 'fan games' were but it was entertaining to watch and went quickly.

The big picture is really this: we are in the midst of a college athletics arms race, and we don't have the benefit of a football team in a P5 conference generating $20-some million of TV money that the basketball program can leach off of. WSU's basketball program is the university's money maker, and to stay nationally relevant on the court we have to deservedly pay one of the best coaches in the country a top 10 salary. I'd be willing to bet that if y'all tried balancing WSU's athletics budget while keeping big donors happy, there'd be a lot less complaining around here about promotions and overpriced nachos.

I haven't been to an OK State game, so I'll just concede that they have a better in game production. But the program hasn't had an undefeated season, been to a Final Four, a sweet sixteen, and 8 straight NCAA tournaments in the past 9 years. Seems like we have our priorities in the right place.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• AndShock
          AndShock commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn’t have hired Todd Butler. Factor in lost revenue and other cheaper options and I just saved the Atheltic Department over $1 million. Easy.
      Working...
      X