Favorite Games not involving WSU/other favorite teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Games not involving WSU/other favorite teams

It's the offseason, which means that it's time for another fun thread to kill time before the Aftershocks tear up the competition in TBT.

We all have fond memories of significant victories for WSU and for the other teams of which we are fans. I was curious to discuss favorite games where we weren't cheering for our favorite teams. That might include watching our hated rivals lose or simply watching a game where we had no rooting interest either way.

Here are mine:

MLB: 2016 World Series Game 7-Cubs vs Indians. I am not a Cubs "fan" per se but always enjoyed it when they had success. I really don't like the Cardinals, so it's one of those "enemy of my enemy is my friend." I was actually in O'Hare that night with a delayed flight. Had the flight been delayed anymore, I was really tempted to go to Wrigleyville. We were waiting to board plane, and a guy was watching game on his phone, showing it to a group of us gathered nearby. Because of the delay with watching on a phone, he had received a notification that the Indians scored a run before we actually saw it. As Rajai Davis was at the plate in the eighth, I was part watching the game and part waiting to see if dude got another notification, which would tell us if Cleveland scored. All of a sudden, the notification comes that Davis hit the bomb so we knew it was coming when it played. I was like "Wow. The Curse is real." Just before my flight finally took off, I saw that Ben Zobrist hit an RBI double in extras to give the Cubs the lead. WiFi wasn't working once we took off, so we didn't know anything more until the pilot told us that the Cubs did win. I was curious to land to see what happened since the score indicated that Cleveland scored in its half of the inning.

NFL: 2018 AFC Championship Game-Patriots vs Chiefs. This one was strange. I really despise both teams, so I had to choose the lesser of two evils. I have a life goal to never see the Chiefs in the Super Bowl, so I hoped that the Patriots could help keep that alive for me. Both teams blew so many opportunities. The Patriots blew a big lead with a couple turnovers/fourth-down failures. The Chiefs defense overall had the stopping ability of single-ply toilet paper. Dee Ford's crucial offsides penalty negated a would-be game-ending turnover. The Patriots scored too early at the end of regulation, giving the Chiefs time to kick a field goal to send it to overtime. Finally, the Chiefs defense had not one...not two...but THREE 3rd-and-long chances to get off the field in overtime but couldn't. When Rex Burkhead crossed the goaline in overtime, I wasn't "pumped" but just breathed a sigh of relief that I would spend another year not watching the Chiefs play on Super Bowl Sunday.

College Football: 2007 Fiesta Bowl-Boise State vs Oklahoma. I literally had no rooting interest in this. I mean, I pulled for the underdog Boise State but didn't really mind Oklahoma either (I hate Texas, so again, enemy of enemy). I tuned in towards the end when OU scored a late touchdown to tie and then took a Pick-6 to the house to take the lead. At some point, I called my mom into the room to watch the ending with me. I marveled at Boise's fourth-down "Hook and Ladder" to tie the game. The fun was just beginning though. After Adrian Peterson ran for a touchdown on the first play of overtime, Boise State got its turn, scoring a touchdown with some trickery...and then went balls to the wall, going for 2 for the win. The Statue of Liberty touchdown capped one of the craziest and most memorable college football games I had ever seen.

College Basketball: Northern Iowa-Kansas. I don't think any further explanation is needed on this one.
    78-65

Arizona Diamondbacks winning Game 7 over NY Yankees in 2001 World Series!!!
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Darts.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Villanova's final four victory over the mythical birds of Larryville. Not a big Villanova fan, but watching KU get dismantled like that was immensely enjoyable.

Comment

You lost me at "I have a life goal to never see the Chiefs in the Super Bowl." Sorry, I will never "like" WuShock comment here on SN EVER again! :)

Comment

Baylor/Creighton in their penultimate game sticks out as a fun one.

Duke/Butler is one I’ll always remember even though it had a bad outcome.

Comment

"Miracle on Ice" USA beats Soviet Union in the 1980 Olympics. That team of "rag tag" amateurs toured the country prior to the Olympics, playing a bunch of minor league hockey teams and played the Wichita Thunder in the old Kansas Coliseum. That is the only live hockey match I've ever attended.

Comment

• WheatShock
                WheatShock commented
                Editing a comment
                You must be thinking of the Wichita Wind. The Thunder didn't get started until '92

• Bluzrover
                Bluzrover commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, it might have been the Wind. I don't remember. I'm old. I just remember it being really cool that we saw those kids play before they took down the mighty Soviet team that was unbeatable.

• Shockadaisical
                Shockadaisical commented
                Editing a comment
                I remember going to that. That team inspired a sense of patriotism unlike any other sports team I have witnessed

Philadelphia Flyers winning the Stanley Cup, Bobby Orr giving Kate Smith roses after she sang "God Bless America" before the game and her telling Bobby that "Thanks, but it won't help," then watching Orr trip Bobby Clarke on a breakaway in the last minute and Clarke making the penalty shot for the 2-1 victory. Reminds me of my all-time favorite bumper sticker regarding Philly's goaltender, "Only the Lord saves more than Bernie Parent"

Oh, yeah, and gettiong off work and joining 1,499,999 of my nearest and dearest friends for the parade down Broad Street to the Spectrum for the parade
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                Baylor/Creighton in their penultimate game sticks out as a fun one.

Duke/Butler is one I’ll always remember even though it had a bad outcome.
                Baylor destroyed them as I recall? Dougie's shining moment?

Comment

• AndShock
                  AndShock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep. First year in the Big East, Dougie’s senior year. It was supposed to be Creighton’s first of many deep tournament runs and they got blasted by 30+ points. They’ve made 2/5 NCAA tournaments since then and were a first round exit both times.

The Broncos winning Super Bowl 50 and watching them systematically dismantle Cam Newton.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

2004 - It was an entire series, but the Red Sox coming back to beat the Yankees in 7 in the ALCS after being down 3-0

2012 - Man City comeback vs. QPR for the EPL title

2014 - Germany beating the brakes off Brazil in the World Cup Semis. So methodical.

2016 - LeBron single-handedly defeats the Warriors in Game 7 (even though I was cheering for the Warriors, watching LeBron do that was nothing short of awe-inspiring)

2018 - UMBC beating UVA
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Kung Wu
                    Kung Wu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was going to post Germany vs Brazil, but I have to admit I had a rooting interest. :)

I always enjoy watching the NHL playoffs. The intensity level is ridiculously high and there are always a bunch of great games.
                  Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Falcons/Patriots Super Bowl... Had quite a large bet on the Patriots and had resigned it a loser in the 3rd quarter. Little did I know!

Comment

'Nova/Hoyas '85. Loved seeing John T. go down.

Comment

Northern Iowa win over Kansas in 2nd round of 2010 NCAA tournament.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                          Kung Wu commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No rooting interest in that game? :)
                      Working...
                      X