No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren (Armstrong) Jabali was another Shocker player picked by the New York Knicks. However, he never signed with the Knicks, instead signing with the Oakland Oaks of the ABA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      As I recall, it was not well-received when he changed his name to a (gasp) "Muslim" name. He also made some comments that were not well-received by the coaching staff or the athletic department. It seems he did not have a good relationship with the coaching staff - and Gary Thompson in particular.

After he graduated, he wanted nothing to do with WSU, and WSU wanted nothing to do with him. It seems neither side ever got over that.
      Swahili meaning "The Rock" not Muslim; I was an undergraduate during Warren's Sophomore-Senior seasons which gave me the privilege of watching him play in person. IMO after Stallworth, Jabari was the best player on the Shocker rosters during the 1960's.

Warren was always problematic - he had difficulty with Lucious Allen in high school and was outspoken regards civil rights activities. He did not hold Gary Thompson in high regard but then who did? This reputation resulted in the NBA not holding Warren in high regard so he went to the ABA and became Rookie of The Year. Rick Barry was his teammate and publicly recognized Warren as a superior professional basketball player.

Comment

• not sure why everyone is so scared of the “muslims”.. i’m more scared of the occupiers and goldman sachs government infiltrators .. the israelites. at any rate, maybe he is in the first generation of the kaepernicks.

i’m not old enough to have seen it firsthand, but it was the 60s and hostilities were high. being good friends with a prominent player from the 70s that was close to warren, it seems as if most whites wanted the brothas to shut up and play/entertain. wichita state was no different.

Comment

• “The Israelites”

Oh my. There was certainly a correlation between the black power movement and the Muslim conversion. It was all an off shoot of civil rights and they were radical at the time.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Which roster are we talking about here. Some one can start a new thread to continue this riveting conversation of the past. See if this topic can stay in the present

Comment

• Seriously. Move the muslim and israelite discussion to the off topic threads please.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                Seriously. Move the muslim and israelite discussion to the off topic threads please.
                What about the Philistines? Can we talk about them here?

Comment

• MikeKennedyRulZ
                  MikeKennedyRulZ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, the only people you can discuss here are the Shockerites.

Not even the Caananites or Hittites...

• Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post
                not sure why everyone is so scared of the “muslims”.. i’m more scared of the occupiers and goldman sachs government infiltrators .. the israelites. at any rate, maybe he is in the first generation of the kaepernicks.

i’m not old enough to have seen it firsthand, but it was the 60s and hostilities were high. being good friends with a prominent player from the 70s that was close to warren, it seems as if most whites wanted the brothas to shut up and play/entertain. wichita state was no different.
                probably wanted that out of all the players

Comment

• Just caught this interesting tidbit on the goshockers roster page. Not sure if I missed it, but Tyson has some real pedigree:

Born Sept. 17, 1999… Son of Max Etienne and Anita Gibson… Mother is an Emmy nominated makeup artist… Father played two seasons at Maryland (1988-90)…. Nephew of former UMass star and 17-year NBA veteran Marcus Camby… Nephew of award-winning actor Omari Hardwick… Cousin of NBA standout DeAndre Jordan…
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                    ShockdaWorld commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Damn. Be kind of cool to get a couple of those names in for a few games at CKA.

• Speaking of Tyson . . .

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                    WSUwatcher commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Why the heck are Etienne, much less CJ McCollum and a rapper, hanging out in Manhattan KS?

• Just a roster update.

The Shocker roster weights, which were first edited in August, have been updated again. All of the returners and 2 freshmen are now within 5 lbs of their target weights (as laid out by Kerry in an article this summer). The remaining three players are all within 10 lbs of their target.

Kerry is the best.

(Parenthetical indicates difference from target weight.)
                  Player 2018-19
                  FINAL
                  2019-20
                  TARGET
                  2019-20
                  ORIGINAL
                  2019-20
                  FINAL
                  Dennis 208 212 198 (-14) 207 (-5)
                  Echenique 258 255 248 (-7) 258 (+3)
                  Burton 208 195 210 (+15) 200 (+5)
                  Midtgaard 268 265 275 (+10) 267 (+2)
                  Chandler 265 250 271 (+21) 250 (0)
                  Stevenson 210 200 202 (+2) 198 (-2)
                  Etienne 198 191 192 (+1)
                  Fernandes 152 175 172 (-3)
                  Gordon 200 220 210 (-10)
                  Sherfield 197 197 189 (-8)
                  Wade 207 225 219 (-6)
                  “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Chandler really looked more toned at the scrimmage. Now I know why.

Comment

• Solid gain by Fernandes.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                        Solid gain by Fernandes.
                        Was he weighed with the boot and crutches?
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Freshman forward seen in walking boot - The Sunflower

Marshall Sunner, Sports Editor|
                          October 21, 2019

DeAntoni Gordon, a freshman on the Wichita State men’s basketball team, was seen on campus Sunday in a walking boot. Head Coach Gregg Marshall did not mention any injury regarding Gordon during media day last Tuesday, and the freshman was not in a boot then.  There is no other information on the injury at this...

"DeAntoni Gordon, a freshman on the Wichita State men’s basketball team, was seen on campus Sunday in a walking boot.

Head Coach Gregg Marshall did not mention any injury regarding Gordon during media day last Tuesday, and the freshman was not in a boot then...."

Comment

Working...
                          X