No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although Trey Wade shot 34% from three at UTEP, he was 21-78 or 26% at South Plains. Hope he gets back to that 34% range by the fall.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I don’t believe any Juco 3FG stats post-Ricky
      “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

I’m telling you the two reasons you can throw Juco and And HS 3PT stats out the window (most of the time) is the lack of energy expended on defense at that level and the depth perception advantage of shooting with a wall behind the basket.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          I’m telling you the two reasons you can throw Juco and And HS 3PT stats out the window (most of the time) is the lack of energy expended on defense at that level and the depth perception advantage of shooting with a wall behind the basket.
          I know you said most of the time, but do you think players that shot 37% or higher this year around the NCAA didn't shoot a high percent in HS or juco?

Comment

• shoxlax
            shoxlax commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn’t clarify. I’m talking first year college players adjusting. Eventually they do most of the time.

Then there are the freaks that go out and light it up their first year after high school or Juco without missing a beat. Those guys are not that common.

Juco basketball seems more like AAU play where shot selection and defense are not as valued as getting the maximum number of points. Trey Wade has such good lower body balance and smooth releaseI think he can be good from deep. Also his UTEP Freshman year he shot well with range. I am hard pressed to explain the season Torres had for us during the18-19 season (9 %). To make matters worse the 17-18 team was very good at shooting the 3!
          Last edited by homegrownshocker; April 20, 2019, 07:12 PM. Reason: Agreed that Judo needed corrected to Juco.

Comment

• NCAABound
            NCAABound commented
            Editing a comment
            Judo Bball?? Sounds like the old SIU teams!

• shockrah
            shockrah commented
            Editing a comment
            That's funny! But more like ISU Red and the Carmicheal kung-fu kick!

In my view Torres shot almost all of his 3 balls before his feet were set. Why? We can speculate but I’d say it had something to do with his size and worrying about getting blocked on the close out.

Comment

• Dan
            Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            He did the same thing at JUCO, his shooting stance is square

Edit: “is not square”
            Last edited by Dan; April 21, 2019, 01:06 PM.

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
          Based on comments by coach and through Sherfield I wonder if Burton will play more SF either immediately or as the season progresses.
          I feel like I didn’t explain myself as well as I could have.

On the final coaches show (and at other times throughout the season) coach made a point to correct Mike and mention Burton was a 1/3.

In the Eagle article and the interview with Bob and Duda (sp?) Sherfield said Marshall told him he wanted Sherfield to come in and lead the team at PG, seemingly from day one.

I could be wrong but Noah Fernandes has been billed as primarily a PG which would give us a ton of options.

Trying to the do the math here...it seems like either A) Burton/Sherfield will handle PG duties while Fernandes red shirts; B) Burton/Sherfield handle PG duties while they work Fernandes in slowly throughout the year.

If its option B then I think Burton starts to see more minutes at SF as the young guys progress. I like Burtons game a lot and if he can develop a reliable jumper + floater + finish at the rim I’m going to want him on the court as much as possible.

I guess if Teddy Allen is going to play some SF then we run into the same problem at that spot as well - too many players, too few minutes. For some reason I’ve envisioned Allen as mostly our PF next year with Wade and Gordon as his back up.

Of course I still don’t know enough about the new guys or even Allen to be too sure about anything. Right now it seems like we’re very talented and DEEP at all five positions. If last year was impressive for the coaching staff because the way they handled a very young team this year could be just as big a challenge due to the potential balancing act of finding minutes for all these guys.

Should be interesting to see how it all works out.

Comment

PT is an issue. Chemistry is of vital importance

Comment

My opinion on how this plays out: 1. Sherfield comes in to learn PG subbing in for Burton but also learns the 2. 2. Burton starts playing more 3 as Sherfield gets more comfortable leading the team. 3. Fernandes redshirts 4. Burton continues to improve outside shooting which allows him to play the 2 or 3 exclusively as a Jr/Sr while Fernandes moves into the PG #2 role under Sherfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                My opinion on how this plays out: 1. Sherfield comes in to learn PG subbing in for Burton but also learns the 2. 2. Burton starts playing more 3 as Sherfield gets more comfortable leading the team. 3. Fernandes redshirts 4. Burton continues to improve outside shooting which allows him to play the 2 or 3 exclusively as a Jr/Sr while Fernandes moves into the PG #2 role under Sherfield.
                What happens to Stevenson and Etienne in this scenerio?
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They will both be playing a lot. We may be playing more 3 guard lineups.

Total bullshit speculation on this board.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No doubt about that, Ashock -- but it's a long time until October. So if you think it's bad now...

• pie n eye
                  pie n eye commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Since you can see the future, Bran, why don’t you tell us how it’s going to be so we can stop imagining all the ways this talented roster might fit together.

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  https://media.giphy.com/media/jBnX1pZSVnlo4/giphy.gif

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                Total bullshit speculation on this board.
                I totally agree.

I wish there was a place online where these "speculators" could go to anonymously prognosticate about an upcoming season. Maybe some website where they could share these guesses with people of similar interests.
                ​​​​​​
                I'm going to invent a website like that!

Comment

• choida
                  choida commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Shocker Season Simulator

If you don't like speculation, a thread about the 2019-2020 team won't be your cup of tea.

Comment

There are 13 scholarship players. If a team goes 2-deep at all position other than Center and 3-deep there, that makes 11 players who get minutes.

It is not possible to create a lineup and depth chart that doesn't leave some players out of the mix. That means that any potential lineup and depth chart is going to gore somebody's ox. Somebody gets left out, and if the guys getting left out are the ones you want to see on the court, then you're going to think we all look like a bunch of idiots.

If we continue the pattern of losing a couple of trfrs a year, we're going to start losing players who can be significant contributors at a high-major level, rather than players who can be significant contributors at the low major level.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• shock
                  shock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What a great problem to have.

• wufan
                  wufan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Indeed! Pretty much all programs run 11 deep or less. All of the “less” programs risk more transfers due to not enough PT. As a program, the options are that the 12th and 13th players red shirt, transfer to low major programs, or transfer to high major programs. I’d rather our last two rotation spots be able to play at other high major programs once it’s sorted out.

One thing that should help is if the best players graduate or go to the NBA. Our class imbalance is going to hurt us in this regard the next two years.

• 1979Shocker
                  1979Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The bottom two scholarship players can be important, especially if one or more of the top 11 players gets injured.
                  Last edited by 1979Shocker; April 22, 2019, 04:15 PM.

The secret is to have eight great players and four others who will cheer like crazy. - Jerry Tarkanian

Comment

Working...
                X