No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heard nothing and don’t want to hear nothing.
    Livin the dream

Comment

In my dreams, a talented 6'10" power forward who looks vaguely like Ronald Reagan walks on. He says "Heck no, I don't need a scholarship... I just want to play basketball for WSU".

Do you think I need help?

Comment

• Aargh
        Aargh commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, that "looks like Ronald Reagan" thing is just creepy.

Appreciate hearing opinions that different posters share on the Shocker program. Like many of you, I am excited about how we finished, the positive attitude of the returning players, and the coaching staff that was put together last season. We do lose the two leading scorers and minutes played combo from this season, but the valuable minutes played by the returners will payoff starting next season. I would like to share my thoughts about this season and the future that looks quite bright!!

1. I think Jamarius Burton starting at point guard position was one of the greatest single factors to our successful recovery from our poor start (schedule was tough up front also). To his credit he stepped up the challenge and took the lead guard role away from Torres (starter), shored up his handles, and got us in our offenses. He also picked up the pace by running the ball up the floor so we began attacking the defenses better. He shot 26% from 3 pt. line and with his work ethic will I believe continue to improve his greatest weakness. Love his warrior mindset and his tough hard nosed defensive efforts. He is tenacious and physical on the perimeter. Also a very good assist man.
      To be fair, Samajae also stepped up his efforts in helping with the ball handling and playing the back up point. role.

2. Defensively this years team made strides compared to the previous years despite 10 new additions. Jamie Echenique was a big part of it with his length and rim protection, Mitagard got some confidence from mid-season on mad positive progress. The perimeter wings did a better job of keeping the ball out of the lane this year.

3. Good coaching adjustments by Marshall and his staff. He has so many aspects to his offensive game and made adjustments at different parts of the season. The players responded.

4. Staying together and grinding through the slow start. Dexter Dennis and Jamie Echinique were in foul trouble early in the front half of the season (not much good on the bench). They both figured it out as the year progressed.

5. The youth settled down and gained some confidence. As Gregg mentioned a few times, atleast one key player asked to be pulled from the starting line up after a few starts early in the year (requesting to come in off the bench). Haven't heard much about players making those types of adjustments in big time college sports.

6. McDuffie had a great scoring senior year. Was worried he would lose some momentum once conference season began and the teams were more familiar with us and focused on taking him away as option one. He simply played at a 1st team all conference level (got 2nd team) all year.

Now what excites me about the future.
      1. Erik Stevenson becoming the great shooter, scorer, and much improved perimeter defender. He is athletic and competitive as they come. He could sometimes be his own worst critic.
      Burton and Dennis are also hard workers and gym rats by nature (so I suspect great strides by all of them).

2. The three freshman guards can all help out with the ball-handling and with the long distance shooting flaws of this season. Dennis 40% was very good, McDuffie and Haynes-Jones outside threat also has to be replaced. Oh, Trey Wade should help out here as well. I believe that we were closer to 300 than 200 in 3 point shooting accuracy out of all D1 programs (1th or so in our own conference).

3. DeAntoni Gordon and Trey Wade are both better athletes than McDuffie. Doesn't mean their better players , but I like athletes that can play.

4. Teddy Buckets has served his time and gets to play. His energy and passion for the game was seen in his support and enthusiasm on the bench this season. He's hungry and will be set free this season.

5. Gregg Marshall still has the fire and belief that our great Shockers can win the NCAA Championship. Sounds good to recruits and fans alike.

Last edited by homegrownshocker; April 19, 2019, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• shoxlax
        shoxlax commented
        Editing a comment
        That was a great post! Are you related to forevershockerfan

• homegrownshocker
        homegrownshocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a basketball fanatic that loves the Shockers. Can check with ancestry dot com on the relative question later lol. I should have noted the post was long, but that would only make it longer!

Based on comments by coach and through Sherfield I wonder if Burton will play more SF either immediately or as the season progresses.

Comment

• wufan
        wufan commented
        Editing a comment
        Several players will have the opportunity to knock Burton out of the starting PG position. If Burton can shoot 35% from 3 in practice, he probably keeps his role. If not...and one of the freshman grasps the offense, then he might.

Prior to the Wade sighting, I thought it was more likely, but with Allen, Dennis, and Wade (not to mention Gordon) there won’t be a ton of minutes available at the 3/4.

• homegrownshocker
        homegrownshocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Burton may play a different position or get beat out at the point? No problem as the best players should play. I feel he helped turn around this season by stepping up. Versatile young player that is quite competitive.

Best “bully” line-up...strength at every position:

1. Burton
      2. Etienne
      3. Dennis (weakest of the bunch)
      4. Allen
      5. Udeze
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Regul8te
        Regul8te commented
        Editing a comment
        There might be an argument for Asbjorn at the 5 and someone else at the 4.

Best ball skills line-up

1. Fernandes
      2. Sherfield
      3. Burton
      4. Gordon
      5. Poor Bear
      Livin the dream

Comment

Best shooters:

1. Sherfield
        2. Stevenson
        3. Dennis
        4. Gordon
        5. Echenique
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Regul8te
          Regul8te commented
          Editing a comment
          This is the one that will generate the most speculation. ES will have to take a step forward and all 3 freshmen guards could force their way into the convo.

Most athletic:

1. Etienne
        2. Stevenson
        3. Dennis
        4. Wade
        5. Poor Bear
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          Best shooters:

1. Sherfield
          2. Stevenson
          3. Dennis
          4. Gordon
          5. Echenique
          1. Fernandes
          2. Sherfield
          3. Dennis
          4. Gordon
          5. Echenique

Comment

Best line up: JB, ES, DD, TA, JE Best shooting line up: Busse, ES, DD, TA, JE
            Best D line up : JB, ES, DD, DG, JE

Comment

We. Are. Loaded
              The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

Gonna be a fun year but I predict a smaller roller coaster ride than this past season. Still have to incorporate five new athletes to the Play Angry mentality and as we've seen, that doesn't happen overnight. Regardless, on paper, this is one of the most talented and athletic teams Marshall has ever had and I'm excited to see what they can do.

It's going to be a long off season...

Comment

It might be a little premature to declare next year's team the most talented, or use any other superlative. The F4 team and the undefeated team both had 3 guys on the roster who ended up in the NBA.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Topshock
                    Topshock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We didn't really know that at the time. It's tricky to predict but this team might also. Interestingly there is an old rule that is surprisingly accurate. It says, a team has to have at least 3 NBA players to make the final 4.

• Shockadaisical
                    Shockadaisical commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I totally agree with this. Talented high schoolers don't always turn out to be as good as we want them to. We know there is a high ceiling for most of these guys, but they need to get off the floor first

I like reading all you guys posts. This will certainly help me get through the summer. I think JE has the potential to make it to the league. But certain things have to change. First he has got to get his butt in shape. Stop crying to come out of the game.!!!!!!!!!! Second he has got to get stronger and play smarter.

JE has good skills. But I wish he would do a better job of developing that 10 ft turn around jumper he made against Indiana. Go back and look at that shot. It is a beautiful. And It is a nice counter move to his jump hook when he goes to his left . And he needs to improve on passing the ball back out when the double team goes at him. He shot ok from the free throw line but he needs to improve it. And certainly playing better defense will help improve his chances. Go shocks. Go Jamie you can do. Start grinding.

Comment

Some of you are never happy. There’s gonna be no more transfers or else we aren’t building on our success. It’s not crowded; there are plenty of minutes and we will have fresh defenders in at all times.

Comment

Working...
                    X