2019-20 National Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    Just heard a quote on the radio this morning. I thought it ironic.

Scores are for winners and Metrics are for losers.
    And yet, for some reason, oddsmakers (who rely on scores for their livelihood) often use these metrics to set lines.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Guess metrics don't count now because they are not on our side, interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
        Guess metrics don't count now because they are not on our side, interesting.
        I see you said metrics, but I believe you meant metric.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I'd rather be 30-0, but if we're only winning by a point or two every game, that may mean the numbers say we're not as good as the 25-5 team.
          So it’s better to lose pretty than to win ugly?

Got it. Not sure Marshall or any other coach out there agrees, but got it.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I’m just so thankful Shockernet had something to argue about today. Looking forward to actually watching a real live basketball game tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by wheathead View Post
              I’m just so thankful Shockernet had something to argue about today. Looking forward to actually watching a real live basketball game tomorrow.
              So long as I am here, you shall always be thankful.

You're welcome.

Comment

Are you serious? One is a strategy for a particular time and score situation in a game. The other is not.
                I thought particular times and score didn't matter? That would imply wins and losses mattered, or *GASP*, a singular head-to-head game meant something. Nah. That's silly. Shox should have been playing the metrics, which all say intentionally fouling an 80% FT shooter is roughly the worst thing you can do.

It would also mean you had to actually apply that logic to fouling. Like the fact that 10+ seconds is a lot of time to start a possession for intentional fouling, or having 3 players with 4 fouls on the court made it risky, or that UConn was getting a lot of offensive rebounds made it risky. Nah. Just blanket-rule, always foul when up 3 at the end of the game.
                Last edited by Cdizzle; January 14, 2020, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

So it’s better to lose pretty than to win ugly?

Got it. Not sure Marshall or any other coach out there agrees, but got it.
                  Again, it depends. If you're talking about rating teams' quality, it could mean the team that has more losses is the better team. They would not have a better resume, though.

Would I rather lose than win? Heck no. But I'm not talking about what I would rather do. I'm talking about how we evaluate teams, a completely different aspect. That keeps getting lost in this discussion.

Comment

• Ok, it's official. Put me in the category that rates this up there with the dumbest threads in SN history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

I thought particular times and score didn't matter? That would imply wins and losses mattered, or *GASP*, a singular head-to-head game meant something. Nah. That's silly. Shox should have been playing the metrics, which all say intentionally fouling an 80% FT shooter is roughly the worst thing you can do.

It would also mean you had to actually apply that logic to fouling. Like the fact that 10+ seconds is a lot of time to start a possession for intentional fouling, or having 3 players with 4 fouls on the court made it risky, or that UConn was getting a lot of offensive rebounds made it risky. Nah. Just blanket-rule, always foul when up 3 at the end of the game.
                      Times and score matter for coaching and strategies, but this has nothing to do with the discussion we are having about rankings.

Comment

Times and score matter for coaching and strategies, but this has nothing to do with the discussion we are having about rankings.
                        Disagree. Coaching and strategies exist for some reason. Is it to win, or to improve metrics? I believe they are linked. I guarantee you Marshall wanted to do what would most help his ranking last week. He has talked about it for a couple of weeks.

Comment

• The metrics show Chicken fans are getting their feathers in a ruffle...

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                            Ok, it's official. Put me in the category that rates this up there with the dumbest threads in SN history.
                            But you've been around since 2005. I know this to be false. Any thread where we're arguing about where WSU is ranked is not a dumb thread, it's a great thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Disagree. Coaching and strategies exist for some reason. Is it to win, or to improve metrics? I believe they are linked. I guarantee you Marshall wanted to do what would most help his ranking last week. He has talked about it for a couple of weeks.
                              I think coaches want to win by as much as possible. They do that by being efficient, and yes, improving metrics.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                                The metrics show Chicken fans are getting their feathers in a ruffle...
                                definitely an austin reaves fan tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X