2019-20 National Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

"Best teams" ... Proceeds to rank KU higher than the team that just blew them out on their home floor
    And yet KU is still rated higher in Sagarin, KenPom, and Haslametrics than Baylor. Are those ratings systems biased?
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Before you go and fulfill every stereotype that people have for WSU fans, consider this from his Twitter bio...

“I base my AP poll vote on best teams, not best résumés.”

We are around the 24-25 range for KenPom and Haslametrics, although I’m stoked we are #16 in the AP poll. It’s not completely unreasonable to have us close to the fringe. And complaining about it on Twitter will not do anything for our cause.
      Thank you KU Varnsen.

How is the NET ranking? Or you just using the ones that fit your argument?
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

And yet KU is still rated higher in Sagarin, KenPom, and Haslametrics than Baylor. Are those ratings systems biased?
        Have you looked at his ballot?

Comment

We are a fringe Top 25 team based on a decent amount of predictive metrics. Why are we going to revoke someone’s AP vote again? This kinda stuff just makes us look small.
          1. He voted KU higher than the team that just blew them out on their home floor. Homer vote. Baylor is the better team, resume everything. Zero reasoning to put KU over Baylor
          2. By decent amount do you mean KP?

WSU Metrics:
          KP - 25
          NET - 9
          Massey Composite - 16
          Sagarin - 17
          KPI - 11
          Torvik - 12
          WAB - 11

We are closer to Top 10 in metrics than we are 23.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Thank you KU Varnsen.

How is the NET ranking? Or you just using the ones that fit your argument?
            My post that you quoted had nothing to do with KU. Just the way Newell rated WSU. It’s fair to put us there because a decent amount of computer rankings have us there.

The NET ranking is useful but not the best metric around. There are lots of others that people use, like the ones I mentioned. But I’m thrilled that we are as high as we are and hope we stay there.

Comment

Head to Head ... two days ago on KUs home floor overrides those metrics. The game wasn't close

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Have you looked at his ballot?
                Have you looked at the industry standard metrics I just mentioned?

Comment

1. He voted KU higher than the team that just blew them out on their home floor. Homer vote. Baylor is the better team, resume everything. Zero reasoning to put KU over Baylor

WSU Metrics:
                  KP - 25
                  NET - 9
                  Massey Composite - 16
                  Sagarin - 17
                  KPI - 11
                  Torvik - 12
                  WAB - 11

You win. Using his own argument against him. Well done.
                  "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

My post that you quoted had nothing to do with KU. Just the way Newell rated WSU. It’s fair to put us there because a decent amount of computer rankings have us there.

The NET ranking is useful but not the best metric around. There are lots of others that people use, like the ones I mentioned. But I’m thrilled that we are as high as we are and hope we stay there.
                    It's fair to call out a KU guy that puts us 4 spots lower than ANY of other 64 voters

Comment

Have YOU looked at the industry standard metrics .. and by that i mean more than just KP

Comment

WSU Metrics:
                        KP - 25
                        NET - 9
                        Massey Composite - 16
                        Sagarin - 17
                        KPI - 11
                        Torvik - 12
                        WAB - 11

NET, Massey, and WAB are not predictive metrics. They are all descriptive metrics or opinions. Torvik is a little of an outlier, though there may be value there.

Comment

• Maybe one of you know the answer, but I simply don't know. Does the NCAA selection committee rely upon KP or the net for purpose of selection and seeding?

Comment

NET, Massey, and WAB are not predictive metrics. They are all descriptive metrics or opinions. Torvik is a little of an outlier, though there may be value there.
                            lol .. so now just trying to pick and choose your metrics to fit your point. Gotcha. You can admit defeat. He's a homer and its a homer vote. 64 of the 65 AP voters (and the majority of metrics) agree with my view point

Comment

Yes. And not just the 2 you cherry-picked.

And thanks for avoiding the question.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                                Maybe one of you know the answer, but I simply don't know. Does the NCAA selection committee rely upon KP or the net for purpose of selection and seeding?
                                Main one is NET. That drives the team sheets (i.e. its how they are sorted for Quandrants). It's far and away the most important one. There is a small section dedicated to other rankings, KP, Sagarin, KPI and a couple other (i think 6 total) are listed.

Comment

Working...
                                X