• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

• pie n eye
      pie n eye commented
      Editing a comment
      Several fans who watched the team all year believe it as well.

"UPDATED: Too Early Top 25 Rankings" - ESPN

Jeff Borzello, ESPN Staff Writer
    Posted: 06/06/19

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...top-25-2019-20

12. Memphis Tigers (Previous: 18)
    This is going to be the most talked-about team in the country for most of next season. The Tigers have the No. 1 recruiting class in the country, led by No. 1 overall prospect James Wiseman and five-star forwards Precious Achiuwa and D.J. Jeffries. ESPN 100 guards Boogie Ellis and Lester Quinones will also push for starting jobs. This team would likely be even higher had Little Rock graduate transfer Rayjon Tucker decided to play in Memphis instead of turning pro. Now comes the hard part: How will Penny Hardaway put this whole group together? The Tigers do lose all five starters from last season, so there's very little experience, but this roster can stack up against anyone in the country.

Next in line:
    VCU (previous: unranked)

Dropped out:
    Houston (previous: No. 19)
    Last edited by WuShock Reaper; June 9, 2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Still "under the radar". I like it. No preseason Top-25 love yet for the good guys...we'll see.

GO SHOCKS!!!!
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

"College basketball rankings: Andy Katz's Power 36 following the NBA draft" - NCAA.COM

ANDY KATZ | NCAA.COM CORRESPONDENT
        JUNE 25, 2019

Andy Katz chats with Seton Hall's Myles Powell after he decided to come back for his senior season. Powell averaged 23.1 points per game as a junior.

"Here's Andy Katz's latest Power 36 rankings post NBA draft. The reason for any movement is listed below...

10. Memphis (4): Memphis fans may bristle at the Tigers being dropped from 4 to 10. But this was a reaction to putting them too high without proving it first. Top 10 is still top 10 but the Tigers were too high in the top five.

25. VCU (26): The Rams are the pick in the A-10 and nothing has changed from that prediction two months ago.

28. Houston (29): The Cougars will still be as tough a team to deal with as any in the American. That hasn’t changed. Defense will still be its identity.

36. South Florida (NR): I’m in on the Bulls like I was with UCF last season. USF brings back three of the most important players at their position in guards Laquincy Rideau and David Collins as well big man Alexis Yetna.

In the mix: Cincinnati, Oklahoma, UConn,..."

Comment

• JVShocker
          JVShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          I would "bristle" at ANY TEAM being ranked in the top ten for a sports season in which said sport doesn't even begin playing games for another 4-5 months.

Cincy? With a new coach? UConn who hasn't done squat? And yet no Gregg Marshall led Wichita? Okay........bring it on.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
          Cincy? With a new coach? UConn who hasn't done squat? And yet no Gregg Marshall led Wichita? Okay........bring it on.
          Totally understandable from Andy Katz' perspective. Cincy does have the AAC POY returning although they did lose some other key pieces. The Shocks lost their top two scoring threats plus lost Teddy Allen who most people thought would be their key addition to take up some of the scoring that was lost. They replaced Teddy with a player that appears to have great upside but at this point is quite an unknown with very little high level game experience. The Shockers are still quite young with only 1 senior (Jaime Echinique) and 2 juniors (Asbjorn Midtgaard and Trey Wade) who have a combined 4 years of D-1 experience.

Totally understandable that the Shocks will be left off most pre-season Top 40 lists. The Shocks have always responded well to playing the disrespected underdog role but the bottom line is the team is still very young and still has many questions that need to be answered.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 27, 2019, 12:17 PM. Reason: Corrected years of D-1 experience from 3 to 4 years.

Comment

Like everyone else I am hopeful with the latest signing but make no mistake losing TA was a BIG hit, at least initially.
            The good side of it potentially is maybe better team chemistry and quicker evolution of some young guns. I am
            predicting a breakout year for ES and a couple of freshmen to shine. Don't worry about all these other programs just
            ours.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Totally understandable from Andy Katz' perspective. Cincy does have the AAC POY returning although they did lose some other key pieces. The Shocks lost their top two scoring threats plus lost Teddy Allen who most people thought would be their key addition to take up some of the scoring that was lost. They replaced Teddy with a player that appears to have great upside but at this point is quite an unknown with very little high level game experience. The Shockers are still quite young with only 1 senior (Jaime Echinique) and 2 juniors (Asbjorn Midtgaard and Trey Wade) who have a combined 3 years of D-1 experience.

Totally understandable that the Shocks will be left off most pre-season Top 40 lists. The Shocks have always responded well to playing the disrespected underdog role but the bottom line is the team is still very young and still has many questions that need to be answered.
              I count 4 years, AM (2), JE (1), TWade (1 at UTEP)
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                I stand corrected. Good catch. Doesn't really change the point of my narrative though.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 27, 2019, 10:23 AM.

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
              Like everyone else I am hopeful with the latest signing but make no mistake losing TA was a BIG hit, at least initially.
              The good side of it potentially is maybe better team chemistry and quicker evolution of some young guns. I am
              predicting a breakout year for ES and a couple of freshmen to shine. Don't worry about all these other programs just
              ours.
              I see this as hopefully a blessing in that the others won't defer to TA and watch for him to manuever for the shot at the end of the shotclock, but will keep working hard and spread the ball around for whoever is open.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Comment

• Maizerunner08
                  Maizerunner08 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Garbage. Cincy 2nd? LOL Also, the USF hype train is going a bit too fast...

I'm really surprised to see Cincy so high in some rankings. Cronin was a great coach--until March. I know Cumberland is a great player, but that entire team and program are going to have to learn a new system. I don't think they're going to suck, but I do expect them to struggle at times and be a middle of the pack team in the AAC.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I love how so many nationally appear to be sleeping on the Shox. I say bring it on. Makes whoopin dat a$$ even more special.

Comment

Rothstein thought WSU was top-25 prior to Teddy leaving and now has doubts. Fair enough and whatever.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                      C0|dB|00ded commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yup! Teddy was a player - a known commodity. He would have been All-AAC easy.

T

...:cool:

• MikeKennedyRulZ
                      MikeKennedyRulZ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Even more reason he is not very smart for screwing up a GREAT opportunity.

UPDATED: "...Too Early Top 25 Rankings" - ESPN

Jeff Borzello, ESPN Staff Writer
                    Posted: 07/11/19, 6:00am cst

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27154359

"We're starting to get a very clear picture of what the 2019-20 college basketball season is going to look like -- at least heading into the campaign. Most of the offseason personnel drama is over. Nearly every relevant graduate transfer has already made his decision, and there are zero remaining uncommitted ESPN 100 prospects. So the Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25 you see today is likely to look fairly similar to the one come hoops season....

13. Memphis Tigers Previous: 12
                    Despite not being No. 1 in the rankings -- or even in the top 10 -- the Tigers are going to be the headliners in college basketball next season. Part of that is due to Penny Hardaway being at the helm, but now he's bringing in the No. 1 recruiting class in the country, led by No. 1 overall prospect James Wiseman. There is a ton of hype surrounding the Tigers, but they've dropped a few spots after the initial high wore off from their spring commitment run. All five starters could be freshmen, with Wiseman flanked by five-star forwards Precious Achiuwa and D.J. Jeffries, and ESPN 100 guards Boogie Ellis and Lester Quinones in the backcourt. Some potential problems include a severe lack of experience and how Hardaway fits all the pieces together.

Next in line:
                    #27. VCU (previous: next in line)
                    #30. Cincinnati (previous: unranked)..."

Comment

We've been down this path before. The Shocks have the league and the pundits right where they want them.

Comment

Working...
                      X