No announcement yet.

NCAA tourney next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say tourney, yes! What coach does at the end of every season is meet with each individual player and discuss what must transpire during the off season as to their development going forward. The amount of improvement that took place, during this season, was tremendous for this group of freshmen, and the desire to get better became apparent as the season wore on. I see a bunch of guys that will work their tails off over the summer and, mark my words, you will see exponential growth from all of these guys. Remember, RT came from juco as an All American, shooting over 40% from three. ES set the Washington State high school scoring record. This group of guys can score the basketball. I think it just took them longer to adjust to the division one game. We'll have Buckets and Morris Udeze next year that will factor into things as well. I say this group is just fine and now, with a year of experience under their belts, the future is very bright. Hand me my sunglasses boys, we're going to the dance!

Comment

In regards to 3 point shooting, I think Stevenson will step up and be a reliable 3 point threat. Down the stretch, he's been hitting some clutch shots we needed to win games. His decision making is improving and he's getting more comfortable with the offense. Dude is a gym rat and his game will improve over the off-season.

I also think we make the NCAA tournament next year. My off the cuff guess is a 10 seed.

Comment

We may have a chance to make the Dance next year, but it definitely is no certainty.

My cloudy crystal ball says we are two years away from making the tournament and having any chance at making a decent run

Comment

I can see Stevenson improving to a mid-30's% 3-point shooter. Burton will need to make himself to be a serviceable shooter from 3. I don't see Torres to be a factor next year. Dennis will certainly be a threat. The newbies, Tyson and Fernandez, we don't know about yet. My hope is one of them becomes an immediate 3-point threat. All that, coupled with occasional 3's from Allen, Ech, Chandler and Gordon, we will be fine. NCAA tourney, here we come.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
            Would love to see WSU start pulling in recruits like UVA. Highly thought of players, but never one-and-dones. Probably won’t get as many kids rated quite as high, but starting to land players in the 75-125 range constantly would be nice, with players 40-75 being a bonus. Also, both Marshall and Bennett recruit class players who will play on both ends of the court.

But yes, Tourney next year.
            And national championship with this nucleus!

Comment

The most encouraging sign for next year is 3G's willingness to start using his coveted ball-screen offense during this NIT run and the youngsters have responded quite well. And, the vast majority of his players improve each and every year they continue in the program. While they may not be lights out 3-point shooters, I suspect JB and RT to show improvement in that respect. I have no doubt ES will pick up his accuracy a bit as well. I will say that the improvement of AM this year will also have a major impact next season as he and JE will be, in my opinion, one of the most dangerous two-headed monsters at the 5 in the Marshall era. Teddy will most certainly add some offensive firepower but it remains to be seen what our next 4* recruit will bring. And I suspect NF and DG will find some minutes in the rotation and bring yet more to the mix.

I think we're only starting to scratch the surface with how good this young team can be so count me in on a spot in the dance next year.

Comment

Just looking at stats for Burton, last 10 games, 40 assists to 15 turnovers (including one game with 3 a and 5 t/o). Remainder of season, 93 to 51.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                  Could someone explain to me how any school can justify playing for such paltry amounts of money? Be it the NCAA where the monies are split between conference members over a 6 year period, or the NIT where the school participating keeps the 26k, how does that cover their costs?
                  My understanding is that the $26K is the payout which is in addition to travel expenses which are covered separately.

Comment

Many good points made, our freshman still have a ways to go in getting to the basket and finishing, perhaps Teddy will help remedy that. BTW, how is Teddy's free throw percentage? I've noticed that Burton hasn't played much lately, what's up with that?

Comment

NCAA tourney next year?
                      Easy.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• WstateU
                        WstateU commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Book it!

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                      Just looking at stats for Burton, last 10 games, 40 assists to 15 turnovers (including one game with 3 a and 5 t/o). Remainder of season, 93 to 51.
                      Burton taking over the point was pivotal to the teams improvement. Steadied the O.

How many assists does he need to set the freshman record, now belonging to Joe Griffin?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post

My understanding is that the $26K is the payout which is in addition to travel expenses which are covered separately.
                          I would hope other expenses such as room and board are covered as well. Otherwise it still seems like a financial loss.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                            ShockTalk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The experience on the road and NY is invaluable to this team.

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

I would hope other expenses such as room and board are covered as well. Otherwise it still seems like a financial loss.
                          The vast majority of sports played in college are a financial loss

Comment

Success on a national scale in major collegiate sports is never a financial loss.

We are still reaping the success of our Final Four run to this day. (Please don't ask me to list the ways... just trust me)

T

...:cool:

Comment

Working...
                            X