No announcement yet.

Lipscomb from a Bisons' perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another good place to gather info on the Shocks is from our beat writer, Taylor Eldridge. We are blessed to have the best in the nation. He often posts on Twitter and breaks down, in great detail I might add, specifics on our young team. The following article is what he wrote in regards to our newly reinstated ball-screen offense. Good stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
      Another good place to gather info on the Shocks is from our beat writer, Taylor Eldridge. We are blessed to have the best in the nation. He often posts on Twitter and breaks down, in great detail I might add, specifics on our young team. The following article is what he wrote in regards to our newly reinstated ball-screen offense. Good stuff!

That's an awesome breakdown from a beat guy. Seriously. I'd love to have someone in Nashville who put that much effort into an article.

Also, that offense looks terrifyingly smart an efficient. As I was watching the first gif, I thought, "Well, yeah, IU's helpside defender just watches the post roll in like a dummy." Two gifs down, that defender dives in, and your guard finds the open man in the corner.

Really cool analysis, and a really cool offense. I used to love reading Zach Lowe's breakdowns like this for NBA games – that's awesome that you have this locally.

Comment

• martymoose
        martymoose commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you guys have a message board? I didn't a brief google search and didn't come up with anything.

• NashvilleGuy
        NashvilleGuy commented
        Editing a comment
        Not that I know of, marty. Our fanbase got pretty fractured when we moved to D1 in 2000. Our longtime coach, Don Meyer, left because of the jump to D1. A lot of alums thought it was the wrong move. And then we took our lumps for years in D1.

We don't draw very big crowds, either. The student section is okay, but in a 5,500 seat arena, we're lucky to be 2/3 full in conference games. Before Christmas, it's even worse, usually. I have family who work in the athletic department, and they think it's the Nashville factor – a lot of ways to be entertained in the city, and students would rather go to a concert than a basketball game.

I'd hoped this year would ignite the fanbase. It's been better, but not a ton better.

And the latest from Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
        And the latest from Taylor

That second to last video on there (the compilation of Dexter during the Indiana game) still blows my mind. He's a freshman doing stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by NashvilleGuy View Post

If you're talking about head coaches, it would have had to have been before 1975. We've only had 3 coaches since then – Don Meyer, Scott Sanderson, and Casey Alexander.

... that's kind of crazy, now that I'm saying it out loud. 3 coaches in 43 years.
          Wasn't Sanderson Wimp's kid?

Comment

• NashvilleGuy
            NashvilleGuy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. Good man, but that NAIA-to-D1 leap was tough. He had a really long leash – LU has no money for buyouts and for a while was content to struggle along in the ASUN. Sanderson had a few good years, but couldn't sustain the good ones or build any sense of momentum, year to year.

Lifetime Shocker fan here and a Lipscomb alum. Grew up in Wichita and became a fan watching Cal Bruton and Bob Elmore in the 70’s. Graduated from Lipscomb (was David Lipscomb College back then) in ‘83 (5 year plan) and was fortunate to have a volleyball class with Don Meyer, a guy that had a dry sense of humor, intense as a coach, a gruff exterior, but very caring inside. Opposing fans would laugh at him because he would bring chairs on to the court during timeouts for his players to sit in (a standard these days). After graduating I moved to KC and looked forward to the Bisons perennially playing in the NAIA tournament and becoming national champs in ‘86. I always wondered how Lipscomb would fare against WSU. Now, as a huge Shocker fan, I’m almost afraid to find out. I’m both anxious and nervous. I’ll be strongly pulling for the Shox, but I’ll be awfully proud of the Bisons if they were to win.

Comment

• NashvilleGuy
            NashvilleGuy commented
            Editing a comment
            Very cool. My dad was the T&F coach in the mid-80s – we probably just missed crossing paths by a year or two.

I'll be pulling for the Bisons (duh), but after 2013, I think most of the country has a soft spot in their hearts for the Shockers.

Lipscomb? Put a dab of Abreeva on it and it’ll dry right up.

Comment

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            You're thinking Lipscum? That's some bad stuff. :)

Back in the day I OWNED a vintage Lipcomb hoops jersey, gifted by a player in the early 50s...it was pretty hug on a 10 year old body!

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
            X