In Dexter We Trust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Dexter We Trust!

RJL's comment inspired me to start this Dexter love thread.

None of the history that has been made at Wichita State could have occurred without Tekele Cotton. Yes, Fred and Ron were just as key, but as far as team success, none of it would have occurred without the nicest lock down defender you will ever have the pleasure to meet.

Now we have the second iteration of Tekele, only he's 3 inches taller and appears to be ahead of schedule in his development. Both didn't have much basketball experience and were totally overlooked on the recruiting trail. Although Tekele 2.0 showed enough promise to get his coach a job at WSU.

We used to say that if only TC was a little bit taller... Showtime! Looks like we're gonna get a chance to test that theory. One thing that stands out to me in stark contrast to Mr. Cotton is that Dex seems to have the personality of an X rather than Mr. Nice Guy. My interactions with him have been quite strange. He was actually kind of a dick. I don't mind though, the meaner the better I always say. As long as he keeps his mouth shut on the court which he absolutely does.

Cue Aargh's comment about needing shades.

T

...:cool:

Hmmm. Interesting comment about your interaction. I had the exact opposite exchange. Maybe you caught him on a bad day. Dude is stone cold on the court though. I love that.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope so. He kinda skeered CB and that's not easy folks. Maybe he thought I was a cop lol. I do get that a lot.

T

• Woodrow
      Woodrow commented
      Editing a comment
      I think Dexter is just quiet. He seemed a little shy when I have been around him, but polite and nice. I'm sure he is more outgoing around people his own age.

CB, did you make some creepy comment about his physique? Maybe that put him on edge a little? :smile-new:

Comment

DENNIS THE DEFENSIVE MENACE

Jaime Echenique knew Dexter Dennis was ready for Clemson because of the look on his face, the no-smile zone that suggests seriousness and calm amid the noise and commotion of a basketball game.

"I've spent one year with him and I know when he's hungry," Echenique said. "He never smiles at that point."

Which, Echenique acknowledges, doesn't seem a lot different than Dennis at other times. This is the Shocker who beat Tulane with a three-pointer and declined to celebrate. Dennis' usual mode is serious, and, for a game like Clemson, more serious.

Here's how many describe Dennis: So much like former Shocker Tekele Cotton it makes them smile and nod at the memory. Strong defenders. Quiet and composed. Sneaky sense of humor. Dennis, like Cotton, is often described as a typical, goofy, college kid out of the spotlight. When asked for an example of goofy, it's a struggle.

"Off the court, he's one of the goofiest dudes I've been around," guard Ricky Torres said. "We're just always laughing. Just goofy. On the court, it's all business."

That personality and his athletic gifts leads to the comparisons with Cotton. Graduate manager J.R. Simon, who played with Cotton, told people this summer soon after Dennis arrived for his freshman season. Gretchen Torline, director of athletic academic services, saw it immediately, as well.

Like Cotton, Dennis is the kind of wit who sits in the back of the room and provokes others into laughing while escaping blame during a meeting.

"He's a jokester, but on the down low," Torline said. "He's Tekele. Never the class clown, but always there underneath."

His gifts give him the potential to play more of a leading role on both ends than Cotton.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
        One thing that stands out to me in stark contrast to Mr. Cotton is that Dex seems to have the personality of an X rather than Mr. Nice Guy. My interactions with him have been quite strange. He was actually kind of a dick.
        Well, if a guy walked up to me with a boner ...

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          ... and does a great post-game interview too. Has a good sense of humor. Coach Marshall does a funny JE impression.

• shoxlax
          shoxlax commented
          Editing a comment
          You owe me a Diet Mt Dew after I just spit the one out I was drinking when I read this.

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          Shockernet HOF post...

Speaking of dicks.
        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
          CB, did you make some creepy comment about his physique? Maybe that put him on edge a little? :smile-new:
          I did say he could be Maurice Evans's doppelganger. Maybe he thought I was talking about his... :D

T

Comment

• wufan
            wufan commented
            Editing a comment
            I missed your previous comments about Dexter’s resemblance to Mo, but have thought the same thing. Dexter’s not little, but Evans physique would do him some good!

• C0|dB|00ded
            C0|dB|00ded commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't remember Evans having a stronger physical profile than Dexter, especially as a freshman. When I first walked up to DnD I thought Mo had jumped into a time machine. It was actually a little creepy (and exciting). I was looking around to see if Deputy Dog had followed him tho.

T

Sad he’ll only be here one or two more years... kid gets it.

Comment

No chance he is here for only one more year. At least 2 and maybe 3 years. He has to learn how to create shots on his own. He is good and sometimes very good at making shots when others penetrate and dish to him for a 3. Another strength of his that he is a very good, perhaps an elite rebounder. He still has to learn how to get to the bucket on his own, and also to create his own one on one shot (requires improvement of handles) to be a first round draft choice.

Comment

• Shockm
              Shockm commented
              Editing a comment
              He also isn’t able at this point to create his own 3 point shot off of the dribble or with a step back move,etc. He pretty much is a good 3 point shooter off of a pass when he is open and facing the basket (shoulders square). In the NBA, he will have to be able to shoot off if the dribble or catch as he turns while shooting.

• ShockingButTrue
              ShockingButTrue commented
              Editing a comment
              All of the above...

After 2-3 bounces (at the most), he's pretty much locked up. Long way to go in that department. As GGG would say, "he's not a 5 tool guy... yet."

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              "He also isn’t able at this point to create his own 3 point shot off of the dribble or with a step back move,etc."

And I hope he continues to "not be able" to create his own shot with fancy moves for a few more games. I haven't seen him stagnate the offense or take a bad shot yet. He's following Marshall's tutelage to a "T".

And if my memory serves, Landry didn't have blinding handles either. If Dexter continues to shoot well and starts finishing more often with flash, his ticket is punched. Some NBA team will take a flyer on a 6'5", stable 3-pt shooter, that can each a sammich off the rim without using his hands.

T

Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
            Sad he’ll only be here one or two more years... kid gets it.
            Selfishly, I would like to see him develop a little slowly. He can leave after his junior year.

CB is gonna give Shocker Nation a little vision he received from his crystal ball: The moment you see Dex finding lanes and finishing over fools at the rim, is the exact same moment his black ass will be gone. It will be bittersweet to watch DnD reach his potential, but it is his destiny. Then when he finally joins the Association he will feast on the gratuitous double-lane highways to the rim delighting children (are there actually any adults that watch the NBA?) everywhere.

T

Comment

fapfapfapfapfap

Comment

Dex bringing the thunder D and 3s tonight!

Comment

The sky is the limit. He has no idea how good he could be....one day he is going to wake up and realize it and ‘‘tis going to be scary for a lot of the country.
                  The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Hard to believe this kid took himself out of the starting lineup in January. And look at him now.

What a mature, blossoming MAN.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

DD put the defensive clamps on Clemson and 6 blocks versus Indiana on D while raining 3 point daggers on Offense. Ice Wata in his veins bay bay.
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                      X