Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wichita State at Clemson (NIT 2nd Round)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      I was more frustrated with Burton peeing down his leg in the final 5 minutes. Everyone makes mistakes at different points in the game, but Burton’s 3 late turnovers were the most costly mistakes, IMO. SHJ had the jersey grab but he also had the full court assist to Asbjørn and the 3 pointer, were the two most crucial plays down the stretch.
      Turnovers in last 6 minutes of game
      3:44 TURNOVER by BURTON,JAMARIUS
      2:38 TURNOVER by BURTON,JAMARIUS
      2:33 TURNOVER by PB-CHANDLER,ISAIAH
      1:21 TURNOVER by HAYNES-JONES,SAMAJ
      0:21 TURNOVER by ECHENIQUE,JAIME
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        watch the clip above - 3 on Jamarius, 1 on Markis, 1 on IPBC, 1 on Dexter. Video don't lie.

• WstateU
        WstateU commented
        Editing a comment
        Need to add some 'Benny Hill' music to the last 4 minutes. Sometime you just have to laugh...

Benny Hill himself couldn't have choreographed it better. This woman leads the LA cops on a crazy pursuit

• Shockm
        Shockm commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you all miss them the first time?

• RH: THREE POINTERS - WICHITA STATE 63 - CLEMSON 55

Samajae Haynes- Jones Hitting Big Shots

He doesn't make every shot and in some games he doesn't make most of his shots. Somehow, he seems to make the ones that matter most.

His shooting percentages – 30.2 percent from three-point range, 36.2 percent overall – are not ideal for someone who takes the second-most shots on the team. Yet, he remains a good option for the Shockers, especially when the clock is ticking down and a creative, fearless maker of shots is required. That is Haynes-Jones and nobody else on the team does it as well.

Wichita State turned its season around when its defense improved and it cut down on turnovers since the end of January.

On Sunday, the defense absolutely carried Wichita State into the NIT quarterfinals with a second consecutive tournament road game and a fifth overall. The sixth-seeded Shockers (21-14) held second-seeded Clemson (20-14) to 15-of-53 shooting, 2 of 14 from three-point range.

They needed that defense, because they committed 17 turnovers and crumbled in the final minutes against Clemson's press.

Embracing the NIT is important. The Shockers are happy to be in the NIT. It represents their improvement after a miserable January and most of the roster is new to NCAA Division I basketball, not spoiled by the NCAA Tournament and able to see this post-season as a stepping-stone to next season.

Comment

• Off topic: How does the ignore feature work again?
        "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

• Kung Wu
          Kung Wu commented
          Editing a comment
          Intermittently.

• ShockerPhi
          ShockerPhi commented
          Editing a comment
          It's time I finally put it to use too

• Originally posted by Husker4Shockers View Post
        Off topic: How does the ignore feature work again?
        See what you are doing there....:)

Comment

• Just rewatched the second half.

1. Huge props to Poo Bear. He had some good minutes. I have really high hopes for him over the next 3 years.

2. I'm really glad JB did not break his hand pounding the court after another turn over. Dang son!

Ugly is ok at this point.

Comment

• SHJ made up for that stupid foul by hitting that 3 for sure. Sometimes he plays like a freshman out there then all of a sudden he plays like the veteran. That is precisely what is most frustrating about his play.

Comment

• proshox
              #432.1
              proshox commented
              7 hours ago
              It wasn’t a bad shot. There are things called rythym dribbles. When guys have an inherent green light they tend to make a higher percentage of them. SHJ gets himself into trouble when he is hesitant to make the play... OTOH he is remarkably efficient when HCGM tells him to get a bucket. Mindset is everything. Those who don’t get this with SHJ haven’t been paying attention.

Alternatively, who was going to get us a bucket whe Clemson was focused. They were switching everything in that situation and selling out. There wasn’t going to be an easy shot to be had in that situation.
              It wasn't a bad shot at the YMCA. Homeboy got schooled for realz.

Lotsa rhythm dribbles in the AND1 tour.

SHJ gets himself into trouble when he is hesitant to make the play
              And the team flourishes. It's a paradox?

Alternatively, who was going to get us a bucket whe Clemson was focused. They were switching everything in that situation and selling out.
              That's what offensive sets are for. No man is faster than the ball being passed. You fake, you set screens, you cut hard, then Voila! Either you're open or you're not, either you make the shot or you don't. But no matter what happens IN the offense, your probabilities for success will be higher than when OUT of the offense. This truth plays out over a season when looking back at your record. Rollin' the ball out to "yo boy" and tellin' him to "go get us a bucket" is never a plan...

Gregg Marshall spends a lot of time devising plays to get his shooters open on the perimeter. When a shooter gets an open look he is to shoot it nearly immediately. When a player has to use razzmatazz to get open, know that things are not going according to plan. When the ball goes in the herd screams, "Brilliant!"

I will add a slight caveat: when you have a player that is light years ahead of his competition (think Maurice Evans in the 90's, in the MVC) you can tell him to go get it at times and it might actually be the right move. But play that card too often and the team suffers and so does your chance for a championship. Ask Michael Jordan about this. SHJ or Mark are not light years ahead of their competition... ever.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• These kids keep getting better and better, but I bet 3g works on breaking the trap in the next few days..
                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Step 1: Don't run to the corner to receive the ball

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, I'm confident he knows how to do it. Now if only the guys on the court could figure it out...

Maybe start by not getting it in-bounds in the corner?

• Is Dexter Dennis the best freshman defender we've had in a while? I'm sure we've had other good ones, but how many freshmen have we stuck on the other teams' star player?
                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yes, since Tekele Cotton and it's not close. They kept trying to hype Zach Brown and later McDuffie as the elite defenders, but it was just hype. Dexter Dennis is the real deal.

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dexter holds the keys to the kingdom, just like Tekele did. And he's MUCH bigger than Mr. 100%. The future is bright! Just need a PG.

T

...:cool:

• Shockm
                  Shockm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ron Baker was a Redshirt Freshman but he was a very good defender as a Freshman.

• When Marshall calls for a shot near the end of the game to be SHJ taking the ball and trying to create something, then I have to think that his confidence in SHJ getting it done is higher than his confidence in getting an open shot out of the offense. The Shox offense hasn't been very efficient this year.

Marshall is supposed to be a fairly decent coach. It seems like he would know the most likely way to get points on the board considering who he's got on the floor and how they're being defended.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• “ Marshall is supposed to be a fairly decent coach”... that sarcasm was so thick a knife would have to cut it

Comment

Working...
                  X