Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAB Thread

Taking a quick look at UAB and some tidbits:

They are currently 8 - 4. All four of their losses have come against teams with records over .500 and all eight of their wins have come against teams with records below .500. They are 3 - 1 overall on the road.

They currently have an RPI of 130 and SOS of 206. On defense, they are allowing teams to shoot only 28% from the 3 pt. line. The way we are struggling from beyond the arc, this doesn't look good for us. UAB also shoots close to 50% from the field (pretty good). As a team, they shoot 63% from the free throw line, so this may help us.

This will be an even matchup in terms of size. Their starting 5 are 5'8" through 6'9". We all know their main man is Robert "Darth" Vaden who is averaging 19.7 PPG, UAB has two other guys averaging in double figures and a fourth averaging 9 PPG. If we can shut down or limit Vaden, this should be a win huh? Looks like they have one solid guy off the bench who averages 6.9 PPG.

Prediction: It seems more often than not, that there is always one guy who comes into Koch and is just flat out on fire and light us up. Vaden could be that guy. UAB's board is not very active, but they are referencing our dismal performance against a bad UMKC team and are predicting a win due to athleticism. Given the opportunity, it looks like UAB is a more up tempo style of team.

I'm going to say we have no answer for Vaden and he is the key to UAB's victory. However, I'm saying if we rotate PJ and Ellis on Vaden perhaps we can stay fresh and tire him out and get a win.

Isn't UAB the team that employs the "40 minutes of hell" on defense?
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929
      Isn't UAB the team that employs the "40 minutes of hell" on defense?
      That was under their old coach Mike Anderson, who is now at Mizzou. Their current coach is former Indiana head coach Mike Davis.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Shocks 74 UAB 69 :clap:

Comment

UAB holds opponents to only 28% from 3? The way things are going I would take 28% from WSU on Saturday. ;-)

Like others have said I do not think UAB is going to roll over like LSU. Furthermore, I do not think the crowd will intimidate the UAB players (but it does not mean you people shouldn't try), they did win at Kentucky. I do not care how bad Kentucky is – a win in their house is difficult.

Personally, I think it will be a close game. The team that executes down the stretch will win.

Comment

This game outside of a few valley games was/is the only game that scared me.

I really like Mike Davis as a coach. I then almost vomited when I realized Vaden was going to be eligible this year.

Im not expecting a win and havent since it was announced that this game was scheduled. But I will be back up there in 115 row 26 losing what little left of my voice is left cheering our boys on!!

Comment

Anybody know how bad the weather is supposed to get in Wichita. I am trying to decide whether to keep my tickets and drive up tomorrow or try and unload them. I think west of me which is Wichita is supposed to be worse than here in SEK and driving through the flint hills with blowing snow might not be too fun. My 4 year old twins are supposed to be up on the Video Board for the Future Shocks pictures and so I really want to try and make it, any advice and weather forecasts would be appreciated.

I think the Shox come out and play well, carry over from Wednesday and maybe even shoot the three better, this teams seems to buck stats so when a team is really good at defending the three, that will be the team we light it up on. Just as teams that stats say they struggle from 3 light it up on us.

:goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks:
              THERE ARE FLOCKS OF BIRDS AND MANY A CAT ------ BUT ONLY ONE WUSHOCK!

Comment

Shocks 69 UAB 65
                we are what we are regardless of who we want to be or who we wish we were

Comment

Originally posted by SekShocker
                  Anybody know how bad the weather is supposed to get in Wichita. I am trying to decide whether to keep my tickets and drive up tomorrow or try and unload them. I think west of me which is Wichita is supposed to be worse than here in SEK and driving through the flint hills with blowing snow might not be too fun. My 4 year old twins are supposed to be up on the Video Board for the Future Shocks pictures and so I really want to try and make it, any advice and weather forecasts would be appreciated.

I think the Shox come out and play well, carry over from Wednesday and maybe even shoot the three better, this teams seems to buck stats so when a team is really good at defending the three, that will be the team we light it up on. Just as teams that stats say they struggle from 3 light it up on us.

:goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks:
                  Well Sek, the National Weather Service is saying that the south central into the southeast Kansas area is expected to get about 2 to 5 inches of snow through tonight and into Saturday afternoon with the heaviest amounts of snow to be west of the Kansas Turnpike. This is probably the least of the weather problems. The biggest problem is going to be the winds tomorrow. We are supposed to have sustained winds out of the North at 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph which could cause some white out conditions if we due get a lot of snow.

I do not want to talk you out of coming out for the game but since you have to drive those not-so-good two lane roads from Southeast Kansas to Wichita, I would be watching the weather closely because it may turn out just like last weekend when they predicted up to 9 or 10 inches here in Wichita and we only received about 2 officially. Be careful if you decide to make the trek.

:wsu_posters:
                  "Everyone has their own level of comfort, I elected to stay. I sleep well, love where I am, and have a great level of support."
                  --Head Coach Gregg Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                    UAB did win at Kentucky. I do not care how bad Kentucky is – a win in their house is difficult.
                    They sort of won at Kentucky. The game was played at Louisville on a "neutral court", not at Rupp Arena.

Comment

Re: UAB Thread

Originally posted by KC Shox
                      It seems more often than not, that there is always one guy who comes into Koch and is just flat out on fire and light us up. Vaden could be that guy.

I'm going to say we have no answer for Vaden and he is the key to UAB's victory. However, I'm saying if we rotate PJ and Ellis on Vaden perhaps we can stay fresh and tire him out and get a win.
                      You're right that there always seems to be one guy that comes into Koch and lights it up. But, it's very rare that it's the player everyone is expecting to light it up. In other words, I think PJ will shut down Vaden, but another one of their horses could put up career numbers against us.

However, if we can get some help from our sharp shooters (I use this term very loosely), I think we've got a great chance at victory.

Comment

I did not realize that the UAB vs. Kentucky game was not played in Rupp Arena. Well, that is a horse of a different color then. I am sure that the crowd wasn't as frenzied in Louisville as it would have been in Rupp.

:shock:
                        "Everyone has their own level of comfort, I elected to stay. I sleep well, love where I am, and have a great level of support."
                        --Head Coach Gregg Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                          Originally posted by Maggie
                          UAB did win at Kentucky. I do not care how bad Kentucky is – a win in their house is difficult.
                          They sort of won at Kentucky. The game was played at Louisville on a "neutral court", not at Rupp Arena.
                          Thanks for the correction. For some reason I thought it was at Rupp. As a result I am not AS impressed.

Comment

The way they see it...

UAB's Scouting Report for WSU

Comment

From what I can read, they are very turnover prone and don't rebound very well. Seems to me like it should be a good game, but a very winable game.

Good Guys -- 65
                              Bad Guys --- 60

Comment

Working...
                              X