No announcement yet.

Coaching Changes 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i own my own business but always listen to “offers”. you’d be a fool not to.

in coach few’s situation, spokane fits his family’s lifestyle. a few hours from the ocean, few minutes to the slopes. fly fishing down the street. outdoors 101 and coach few is an outdoorsman.

meanwhile in wichita, so many are against the ballpark because we would have to walk our fat asses a few blocks to our cars. total difference in mindset.

Comment

• Topshock
      Topshock commented
      Editing a comment
      The point is, when an employer has made you rich beyond your wildest dreams, I don't think it is too much to expect that person to be loyal enough to not be entertaining every offer that comes down the road. If you wouldn't have more loyalty than that then perhaps you are the fool.

• abdullah_sharif
      abdullah_sharif commented
      Editing a comment
      the days of someone spending a career in one spot are gone. The bureau of labor statistics says the average person has 10 jobs before age 40 and between 12 and 15 over the course of their lifetime. I have absolutely no issues with somebody listening.

i’m sure many on here that are criticizing for listening have left many a jobs. if i were a basketball coach, the top 5 jobs to me would be in no particular order (with reason)

1). wichita. it’s my alma mater. I was coaching north carolina or duke and the athletic director called, it will be time
      to go home. loyalty.
      2). miami. good location, resources, recruiting.
      3). unlv. love vegas, although resources have dried up, as they will come back with winning
      4). texas. love austin, good resources, new facilities coming. downside is you’re always take a backseat to fb
      5). florida state. good resources, recruiting hotbed, winning culture and 2hrs from the emerald coast

your top 5?

• Topshock
      Topshock commented
      Editing a comment
      The one paying me 3.5 million

• What is going on here? A couple of you guys have just randomly gone off the deep end lately in regards to coach.

Comment

• Topshock
      Topshock commented
      Editing a comment
      Love GM and hope he coaches here until he retires. I just find it irritating that he continues to let this speculation go on in stark contrast to the way Mark Few has handled it.

• WSUwatcher
      WSUwatcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Top, how does 3G "let speculation go on?" He doesn't have any control over what mindless "power conference" fanboys say or write in total obliviousness of his history, as SHOCKvalue accurately noted. Also, in case you haven't noticed, he's a little bit too busy with his own program right now to waste time giving credence to foolishness by responding to it.

• Topshock
      Topshock commented
      Editing a comment
      By saying "we listen to all offers" , in contrast to Mark Few who says I'm not interested in another job.

• Got his NCAA Tourney victory and calling it good.

Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
      WSUwatcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Kudos to Coach Byrd! He found a place where he was happy, stayed there, prospered and made it better, and left happy after finally getting his tournament win. He had a great career, and his was a path followed by some other wise coaches I can think of (e.g., Mark Few; or our own 3G, whose aspirations are obviously higher than a first victory, and probably even higher than a first Final Four).

• choida
      choida commented
      Editing a comment
      Gregg has moved once from Winthrop... That means he may move again... Don't put 3G in the same breath as Byrd or Few... This is no knock on Gregg... Just facts...

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Not enough pizazz for Hollywood.
    I dunno, Cronin would make one helluva James Bond villain.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
      Got his NCAA Tourney victory and calling it good.

Oh no! I hope Gregg doesn't leave WSU for Belmont! I'm so scared. It's in Nashville which has a lot of money and is closer to South Carolina than Wichita.

Comment

• So, alternate universe, say that Marshall leaves, who's your first call if you are DB?

I don't even have to think about who I'd call.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
          SHOCKvalue commented
          Editing a comment
          Are there any P5 assistants who are big on recruiting, but also have prior HC experience with a .500 record?

That’d be my first choice. Lock him in with a fully guaranteed contract too.

Don’t know what ADDB might do under similar circumstances though.

EDIT: Too slow, looks like.

• SHOXJOCK
          SHOXJOCK commented
          Editing a comment
          Todd Butler he would lock him into a new 6year deal worth 30 million and let him run both programs.https://shockernet.net/#

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, I see what you did there...

https://media.giphy.com/media/OycXzuKbIQ5fa/giphy.gif

• Cincy newspaper reporting that Mick is a top target for V Tech when Buzz makes his move.

"Say it slowly and savor it..."
        Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

• Solid work AndShock and SV. On point.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Seth Davis with a nice scoop.

Said talks with Calipari and UCLA were pretty extensive - Cal was willing to listen to preliminary offer and then told the Bruins he would like to remain at Kentucky. UK has responded by offering Cal a "life-time contract" which starts at $48 million for 6 years.

Comment

• Read through Seth's article on the Athletic and apparently Thad Matta was offered the UCLA job but has turned it down. Their next candidate is Tony Bennett, who has said he won't listen while his team is still playing. Given what happened the last time UCLA decided not to wait on their candidate....I bet they take this slow ;)

Comment

• pinstripers
                pinstripers commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't read Seth's stuff

• I think high-profile coaches just use UCLA as a way to up their current salary. It goes without saying that UCLA has blue blood lineage, but there's a lot of red flags with that job. Who they've actually been able to hire for the position in the modern era shows as much.

Comment

• IMO, UCLAs biggest problem is the state. While a great place and all, to live in LA with the lifestyle a high profile coach is accustomed to requires so much $$$ that even UCLA can't justify it. High profile coaches are making boatloads of money and usually arent living in high COLA areas. As an example, what would GM need in LA to maintain his lifestyle? 6, 7 million per year? His house alone would probably cost him 10x more in LA.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Not that it's worth a ton, but a solid media source on the Arkansas boards (paid section for 247) certainly thinks Marshall is an option. Don't shoot the messenger.

Comment

• The one thing we know about 3G he (or his people) are willing and able to listen. So far no one's pitch has been enticing enough.

Comment

• Topshock
                  Topshock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In contrast to Mark Few who is happy and feels no need to listen.

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                IMO, UCLAs biggest problem is the state. While a great place and all, to live in LA with the lifestyle a high profile coach is accustomed to requires so much $$$ that even UCLA can't justify it. High profile coaches are making boatloads of money and usually arent living in high COLA areas. As an example, what would GM need in LA to maintain his lifestyle? 6, 7 million per year? His house alone would probably cost him 10x more in LA.
                That's why Bryce Harper didn't sign with any of the CA teams seeking his services. His 330 million dollars goes a lot further in Philadelphia than it would in San Francisco or L.A. CA team would've had to pay him 400 million plus to make up for that high tax and cost of living state. That state is a dump.

Comment

Working...
                X