X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dude hates...

-cold/snow
    -playing second chair

Surely others have noticed that the few jobs he's slightly flirted with over the years have each and every one been at a more southerly latitude than Wichita?

Not much to see here, unless you've mastered the act of grasping for straws.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
      WSUwatcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, ee, if you think it's "cold and snowy in Wichita" compared to Michigan, you haven't spent enough time in the Great Lakes region.

I once endured about a year of it, and although Wichita can indeed be cold and snowy -- my least favorite thing about the Peerless Princess of the Plains, in fact -- it isn't in the same league as Michigan when it comes to COLD and SNOWY. Not even close.

• eeshocker
      eeshocker commented
      Editing a comment
      I am actually from Michigan (not far from Ann Arbor). Lived there until I graduated high school and go back often (avoid winter months though, i live in GA now and my blood has thinned out lol). My dad moved to Wichita when I was 12 and i spent a lot of time there growing up. Moved there after my time in the Navy and went to WSU. While we got a lot more snow in Michigan, i always felt colder in Wichita in the winter. The wind there makes the cold seem way worse. In Michigan we spent time outside in the winter (skiing, snowmobiling, etc.). In Wichita, I stayed inside. Maybe you were there for a particular bad winter or rather north, but I would take Southern Michigan winter over Kansas personally.

• mattdalt
      mattdalt commented
      Editing a comment
      Michigan b-ball may be well supported, Michigan football is #1 and there is no second. Football drives all economic decisions at the collegiate level. There are a few rare schools where b-ball is as important, or more so than football, but Michigan ain’t one of them. 7,000,000 vs 3;800;000. I’ll let you guess who makes what.

Hard truth is, when conferences talk about realignment, NO ONE talks about. B-ball

• What WSUwatcher said....

Comment

• UM is a big time school and a big time program. Have to admit that the opening causes some concern. Timing though is not good for Michigan. GggM has it loaded and cocked at Wichita State for the foreseeable future. He has done his rebuilding. Now it’s time for him to enjoy the fruits of his labor

Comment

• It is absolute horse-hockey to think the winters in Wichita are worse than Michigan. First, the winters in Wichita ARE MUCH shorter. Wichita average snowfall in a year is the same as Ann Arbor in a month.

I had a friend move to Wichita from Michigan and the first thing he did was buy a convertible because he could only get his top down for a few months in Michigan. He said the biggest difference is that he could golf every month in Wichita and also put his top down once a month in Wichita.

Yes, the wind sucks. But we always get the random 60,70 degree days in Dec., Jan and Feb. My friends reply to that was "Yea, that doesn't happen in Michigan"

Comment

• This is all "horse-hockey"...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• moshock
            moshock commented
            Editing a comment
            Where did you find a picture of my neighbors ? or neeeeiiighbors ?

• At least Michigan can stand on their own legacy, as opposed to other school who can only boast of their association of their conference as their 'big timeness.'

Maybe if this job was open in April, it would be worrisome. The window for offers is sailed IMO.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• WSUwatcher
            WSUwatcher commented
            Editing a comment
            Michigan should hire Penny Hardaway -- he'll find a way to get some of his new guys there, and with a waiver to boot. And then just wait until he starts recruiting for next season...

• "Michigan Job Is Better Than Most (Including UCLA)" - TMG Sports

by Mark Blaudschun
          Posted: 05/14/19

National College Football Mavens Tony Barnhart, Mark Blaudschun, Chris Dufresne and Herb Gould, The Media Guides, with insight, analysis and "More than the Score..."

"Michigan is a premier job in a premier conference, which makes it better than any job in the PAC-12

(No one asked us, but) ...

Michigan AD Ward Manuel and the search committee he has hired have begun the process.

We are not optimistic, which could make a case for Rankman. But if we were in charge, we would do what UCLA failed or ignored to do.

We would start by contacting Villanova coach Jay Wright and offer him a five year contract without numbers, telling Wright he can start with $6 million a year and go from there.

Wright is clearly the best candidate out there, but getting him out of Philadelphia may be difficult at any price.

After that, here is a list of what we would do.
          1. We would make a run at Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall, who has had the right stuff for years.
          2. We would make a run at Gonzaga coach Mark Few, whose West coast allegiance is as strong as Wright's, but is worth exploring.
          3. We would check the NBA for some talent that wants to move back into college coaching.
          4. We would also take close look at Washington coach Mike Hopkins, whose basketball pedigree is outstanding and has done nice things in Seattle.
          If none of those scenarios work out, we will be prepared to say that Rankman may have a point.

But right now, Rankman is wrong and it's not even close.

The Michigan job is better than most and definitely better than the job in Bruinland."

Comment

• For what it's worth, the top ten list posed by Yahoo! Sports (Pat Forde?) did NOT include Marshall, which makes sense. It did include Shaka Smart, which is a head scratcher (although a great move for Shaka if he could get off the warm seat in Austin before it turns hot). The most intriguing name to my mind, though, was Juwan Howard, who has established himself as a credible coach in the NBA and needs no introduction whatsoever at Michigan.

I think Howard would be a home run (assuming Michigan doesn't want to take my previous recommendation of Penny Hardaway and whatever recruits he could induce -- and I guarantee you there'd be some -- to follow him).

Comment

• Hmmmm. If he's offered. This is one I think he'd take a good hard look at. Unbelievable support. Probably north of 6 million a year. All the advantages of recruiting. A favorite of TV networks. They wear yellow. Etc....etc...etc... this is one job you don't turn down.
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• mattdalt
              mattdalt commented
              Editing a comment
              Beilein was making 3.8 Harbaugh is making 7, You think they would pay Gregg 6?

• To quote a great poster from ShockerNet past: "I'm not worried."
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• WstateU
              WstateU commented
              Editing a comment
              That guy needs to come back... he was the 'king of likes' and a genuine good guy. :)
              Come back SubGod22

• Jeff *******Verified account@GoodmanHoops 3h3 hours ago More
            • Copy link to Tweet
            • Embed Tweet

Two names I am told that are unlikely to leave their current spots even if Michigan were to pursue, sources told @Stadium: Notre Dame’s Mike Brey and Florida’s Mike White.

Comment

• mattdalt - it would take a 6 million offer just to start the conversation. I don't think Michigan has gotten there yet...but if the list of candidates aren't rating properly with their fans...they might be forced to make a splash and ante up for a big-name top-3 coach in which Gregg Marshall is on their wish list.
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                mattdalt - it would take a 6 million offer just to start the conversation. I don't think Michigan has gotten there yet...but if the list of candidates aren't rating properly with their fans...they might be forced to make a splash and ante up for a big-name top-3 coach in which Gregg Marshall is on their wish list.
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• ^^^ Lol ^^^
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                  "Michigan Job Is Better Than Most (Including UCLA)" - TMG Sports

by Mark Blaudschun
                  Posted: 05/14/19

National College Football Mavens Tony Barnhart, Mark Blaudschun, Chris Dufresne and Herb Gould, The Media Guides, with insight, analysis and "More than the Score..."

"Michigan is a premier job in a premier conference, which makes it better than any job in the PAC-12

(No one asked us, but) ...

Michigan AD Ward Manuel and the search committee he has hired have begun the process.

We are not optimistic, which could make a case for Rankman. But if we were in charge, we would do what UCLA failed or ignored to do.

We would start by contacting Villanova coach Jay Wright and offer him a five year contract without numbers, telling Wright he can start with $6 million a year and go from there.

Wright is clearly the best candidate out there, but getting him out of Philadelphia may be difficult at any price.

After that, here is a list of what we would do.
                  1. We would make a run at Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall, who has had the right stuff for years.
                  2. We would make a run at Gonzaga coach Mark Few, whose West coast allegiance is as strong as Wright's, but is worth exploring.
                  3. We would check the NBA for some talent that wants to move back into college coaching.
                  4. We would also take close look at Washington coach Mike Hopkins, whose basketball pedigree is outstanding and has done nice things in Seattle.
                  If none of those scenarios work out, we will be prepared to say that Rankman may have a point.

But right now, Rankman is wrong and it's not even close.

The Michigan job is better than most and definitely better than the job in Bruinland."
                  Michigan's last two hires were Power 6 coaches that were rather unsexy hires. Most of the Michigan hires in the past were just previous Michigan assistants prior to the last two. It's a question of whether Michigan wants continuity and how they wish to go about doing so if they do.

If they want to just keep the train going they hire "Yak" and move on.
                  If they want someone with actual Head Coaching experience, but is stylistically similar there are options. UMBC's Ryan Odom is the closest match to Beilein offensively, Randy Bennett is the closest match defensively.
                  If they want to win a press conference, they throw money at a shiny name.
                  If they want someone different, but has experience with winning at a top public institution, they lure Ben Howland out of Starkville.

Comment

Working...
                  X