Jaime Echenique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaime Echenique

I have been thoroughly impressed by his performances as of late, we are using him on 24.2% of our possessions now.

Just think how good he can be next year if he finishes stronger and limits his fouling so he can stay in longer.

Just wanted to point this out because I don't see his name floated out there too much as one of the surprises on this team.

Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
    I have been thoroughly impressed by his performances as of late, we are using him on 24.2% of our possessions now.

Just think how good he can be next year if he finishes stronger and limits his fouling so he can stay in longer.

Just wanted to point this out because I don't see his name floated out there too much as one of the surprises on this team.
    You were thoroughly impressed with him in the AAC tournament? I thought he was awful, gave up a ton of offensive rebounds to and was not effective on offense. Obviously he was much better last night, but thoroughly impressed? I love the guy and think his foot is still holding him back but he hasn't been good lately until last night.

Comment

Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post

Apparently you weren't watching Memphis or maybe past your bedtime.

Yes, he was much better last night against guys 4" shorter and 30 lbs lighter.

But in Memphis... He needed to change his shorts into a skirt.
      I'll touch on the Memphis experience in a bit (just for you WStateU), but JE was a s bad as anything I had seen all year. In fact, we were sitting right across from the WSU bench and I thought HCGM's eyes were going to pop out of his head multiple times due to JE playing softer than a MyPillow.

He ripped him at the end of the first half against UC and called him everything but a Columbian.
      It didn't help.

I really thought he was sick. When informed he wasn't, it was just a case of being soft and not stepping up to help the team.

He needs to get his butt on the steps this summer and get into shape. In fact, both IPBC and him need to run, run and run some more - and then hit the weight room with KR!

That is all.
      Last edited by Kung Wu; March 21, 2019, 02:05 PM.
      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Jamie has been really good and a surprise for me this year, but on the other hand, he has a lot to work on, strength and stamina being the most obvious.

Comment

Jamie hasn't been consistent. He could be a truly special player with ppssible NBA potential if he would work hard to improve. He is 6'11, and 260 lbs. with a long wingspan, and can move quickly when he wants to. He doesn't have to jump and can still block shots, so he doesn'thave to wind up to get blocks (gets up quick). While everyone sees the potential for him, especially defensively, he also has a nice shooting touch at times. But the tournament was a really bad look for him. Hopefully he shows up again on Sunday. AM probably has become the more consistent player but doesn't have the high ceiling Jamie does. I do feel good that we have two bigs who are as good as they are because we have twick as many fouls, and if one has a bad game, the other player may play better.

Comment

• Topshock
            Topshock commented
            Editing a comment
            AM is not the most consistent over JE. Just look at the stats, It's not even close. You might consider some defensive stats while your looking.

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
          Jamie hasn't been consistent. He could be a truly special player with ppssible NBA potential if he would work hard to improve. He is 6'11, and 260 lbs. with a long wingspan, and can move quickly when he wants to. He doesn't have to jump and can still block shots, so he doesn'thave to wind up to get blocks (gets up quick). While everyone sees the potential for him, especially defensively, he also has a nice shooting touch at times. But the tournament was a really bad look for him. Hopefully he shows up again on Sunday. AM probably has become the more consistent player but doesn't have the high ceiling Jamie does. I do feel good that we have two bigs who are as good as they are because we have twick as many fouls, and if one has a bad game, the other player may play better.
          Not sure about NBA potential, but he can and will improve.

Comment

• Shockm
            Shockm commented
            Editing a comment
            He may have to play a couple of years after his Senior year (G League or European) because he is so inexperienced (only played 4 years of basketball prior to this year). His physical skills are top shelf. But if his work ethic, toughness, and practice skills don't improve to Ron Baker and FVV level he wont.

I’m pretty excited about what Echinique and Big Midt can provide next year after another summer working on their games.

Comment

After the end of the season we will probably find out how bad the plantar fasciitis bothered him. Maybe needs some work on his hand strength and forearms in the off season.

Comment

Comment

That's a really good article on Jaime.

Comment

Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
                  Article?
                  I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by Windiwu View Post

Understatement of the year. That's a phenomenal article on JE. I realize it's Pandora's box, but before we let kids print jerseys with their names on them for profit, is there any chance we can pay for kids like Jamie to have their families here for senior night? That doesn't seem like a lot to ask for imho.

When I've been watching them this fall, I am cautiously loving what I've seen from Jamie and that article reaffirms that. I hope he has a spectacular season and gets paid bigtime after it.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Understatement of the year. That's a phenomenal article on JE. I realize it's Pandora's box, but before we let kids print jerseys with their names on them for profit, is there any chance we can pay for kids like Jamie to have their families here for senior night? That doesn't seem like a lot to ask for imho.

When I've been watching them this fall, I am cautiously loving what I've seen from Jamie and that article reaffirms that. I hope he has a spectacular season and gets paid bigtime after it.
                      Lost in all the "pay" talk are some common sense things that wouldn't result in unfair recruiting advantages, like what you mention for Sr night. Stay for Sr year; your parents get to come for free. Paying for meals, etc. It pains me to think of all the sacrifices some/most of these folks endure JUST so NCAA/shoe companies/schools make a profit in marketing.

Good luck, Jaime, both next year playing ball and throughout your life, wherever it takes you! And good luck to your family!

Comment

Can someone summarize for us nitwits who haven't had the sense to subscribe to the Athletic yet?
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

If that is how good Jaime is, we are undervalued and NCAA here we come.

Comment

Working...
                          X