New AAC media deal with ESPN announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I’m with you. Somehow it seems streaming live sports has gotten worse. ESPN, NBC, Fox, CBS - I’ve experienced issues with all of them to the point of giving up without watching a second of live action.

I guess I’m more old school than I thought because it also sucks to have to switch between apps if you want to watch games that are on different channels.
    The Live TV options are almost identical to cable/satellite as far as ease of use for a quarter of the price. I don’t think ESPN+ is integrated yet but it’s only a matter of time, at least with Hulu.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post

The Live TV options are almost identical to cable/satellite as far as ease of use for a quarter of the price. I don’t think ESPN+ is integrated yet but it’s only a matter of time, at least with Hulu.
      Last time I checked that wasn’t the case because I still have to pay for internet to connect to Hulu. When added together internet + Hulu TV it was basically the same price as I was quoted for internet + cable before I dropped cable. Plus I don’t have to deal with intermittent/bad connection.

Trust me, I’m no fan of the cable companies and I wish I didn’t have to deal with them but I’ve quickly discovered that the grass isn’t all green on the other side either.

Comment

AAC, ESPN updating media-rights deal after UConn’s departure - Orlando Sentinal

By Matt Murschel
        Dec 12, 2019 | 7:42 PM

The American Athletic Conference and ESPN are hammering out final details of their 12-year, $1 billion media rights deal that kicks off next year after UConn opted to leave the league. The AAC and …

"The American Athletic Conference and ESPN are hammering out final details of their 12-year, $1 billion media rights deal that kicks off next year after UConn opted to leave the league. The AAC and ESPN reached an agreement on a new deal in March before the Huskies announced they were leaving the conference to return to the Big East in all sports except football, which will operate as an independent team. UConn and the AAC reached a deal for an expedited exit in July 2020 pending a $17 million buyout.

UConn’s exit triggered a clause in the American’s media-rights agreement allowing ESPN to amend the agreement if a school leaves the league, but AAC commissioner Mike Aresco cautions this is far from a renegotiation.

“Any time a school leaves, you potentially negotiate an adjustment because obviously you lost something,” Aresco told the Orlando Sentinel Thursday. “We lost one of our teams and right now, we don’t have any intentions of replacing them, at least not for now....

These discussions won’t have an impact on the amount of revenue each of the AAC members would receive, according to Aresco. That number was reportedly about $7 million annually per school.

“No school will end up getting less money than they were going to get originally,” Aresco said. “That typically won’t happen; it’s just a question of what adjustments you make and if you make financial adjustments, it still doesn’t mean anybody is going to get less.”

Comment

Considering this is mainly about football, and the AAC had a bunch of different teams ranked during the season and the conference was strong, the bargaining position may actually be a little stronger.
          You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

U Gonn didn't add anything to the luster of the AAC football profile so I would think it would be a wash. Losing them will only hurt in that they will be an improved basketball team with name recognition but the constant whining of their fan base about what a crappy conference the AAC is will not be missed. Think of a Cretin fan base with more people and feeling more entitled. Good riddance

Comment

Have we ever heard what this deal brings to the table for WSU annually, or is the cloak of secrecy that somehow covers our public institution still in place?

Hey Taylor Eldridge... file a FOIA, dig this info up, and write an article on it!

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                Have we ever heard what this deal brings to the table for WSU annually, or is the cloak of secrecy that somehow covers our public institution still in place?

Hey Taylor Eldridge... file a FOIA, dig this info up, and write an article on it!
                At one point there was speculation that WSU would get about $2 million annually; can’t recall where I read it, but it could have been the AAC board.
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                X