No announcement yet.

New AAC media deal with ESPN announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don’t know what Basketball will get according to MA but it will be more than WSU got from the Valley. Well we got almost nothing from the valley so this makes me a little nervous

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought the same thing; hopefully, they don’t ‘BOHICA’ is.

Arseco said Wichita St. is one of the bigger "brands" in the American. I'm hoping he does us right and shares a very handsome compensation to Wichita to help keep us one of the "bigger" brands.
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
      I just don’t see how ESPN+ is a positive in any sense. It’s basically ESPN trying to double-dip for content that was previously included with traditional ESPN. I think in 10 years, 95 percent of games on the traditional ESPN channels will be P5 teams playing. The rest will be on ESPN+.
      Just so we are all clear, the deal we just signed not only doesn't shift games away from traditional ESPN channel to ESPN+, it doubles the number of guaranteed traditional ESPN basketball games:

According to the AAC release, ESPN has committed to airing a minimum of 65 regular-season men’s basketball games, up from 32 in the previous agreement, on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Maizerunner08
        Maizerunner08 commented
        Editing a comment
        My comment was more on the future state. Even 1 game on ESPN+ would be a downgrade from this season. All of our conference games were available on traditional cable channels. Why would I want to shell out 60 bucks a year for something that I was already paying for?

• Stickboy46
        Stickboy46 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd much rather pay 20 bucks for the 4 months of ESPN+ for CBB season than have our games on CBS Sports Network. The lack of streaming or replay options made it pretty horrible.

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
      How will the AAC’s new television deal with ESPN affect how fans watch Shocker sports?

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...228605334.html
      "“Wichita State is one of our biggest brands,” Aresco said. “They’re going to be front and center most of the time, so I would imagine they’re going to get a lot of linear coverage. They’ll be some games on ESPN+ and it’s going to be a change. But ESPN+ is the future. We’re taking games that were not widely distributed and now making them available everywhere. If you want to watch the game, now you can watch from anywhere.”"

You think Valley leadership would ever publicly say something like that?
      Last edited by Stickboy46; April 1, 2019, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• WstateU
        WstateU commented
        Editing a comment
        No way Jose!

Of course not. It is the “Valley of Even” after all

Comment

Most of our games will b on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU. But for those games that are on ESPN+, it will cost you $4.99 per month.

Comment

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m ok with that; one less craft beer per month. :)

Now that’s just crazy talk

Comment

Is ESPN plus a web only thing? I have the PS Vue sports package and there are like a dozen ESPN channels that occasionally have programming. Im wondering if these channels are ESPN+? Maybe? Or is ESPN+ only available through their app, like ESPN3 just with a pay wall.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
            Is ESPN plus a web only thing? I have the PS Vue sports package and there are like a dozen ESPN channels that occasionally have programming. Im wondering if these channels are ESPN+? Maybe? Or is ESPN+ only available through their app, like ESPN3 just with a pay wall.
            It's different, but there can be overlap (the channels you see could be both on those channels and on ESPN+). ESPN+ should be considered an "addition to" the ESPN cable channels. This is a migration away from ESPN3 where the content was free, if you had ESPN through some provider.

If you drop Cox cable and switch to Playstation Vue and/or Youtube TV, you will save +$1200/year. $50/yr for the additional ESPN+ channels is paltry compared to the savings of cutting the cord.

Streaming absolutely is the future, and it will only improve and get better from a quality and setup perspective.
            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• WstateU
              WstateU commented
              Editing a comment
              Wife says we have a Chromecast device; will that do the trick? The dust bowl days were much easier. :)

• Steeleshocker
              Steeleshocker commented
              Editing a comment
              I will say that YouTube TV and PS vue also have all those channels that the NCAA tournament was on. While they also provide access to login to the March Madness Live app and watch any game. That's how I did it this year, March Madness Live app streaming to Chromecast on my TV.

• Kung Wu
              Kung Wu commented
              Editing a comment
              Chromecast should work!

Some have posted on the American message board that WSU will get around 30%. If that is true it would be over $2 million per year. That is around $2 million per year more than we were getting from the Valley.

Comment

Saw this article in the Eagle on the KSU vs OSU game and it problems with ESPN+. Maybe by 2020 they will get this figured out, but I am not sold.

Comment

Originally posted by KraRam View Post
                https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...235629222.html

Saw this article in the Eagle on the KSU vs OSU game and it problems with ESPN+. Maybe by 2020 they will get this figured out, but I am not sold.
                I’m with you. Somehow it seems streaming live sports has gotten worse. ESPN, NBC, Fox, CBS - I’ve experienced issues with all of them to the point of giving up without watching a second of live action.

I guess I’m more old school than I thought because it also sucks to have to switch between apps if you want to watch games that are on different channels.

Comment

Originally posted by KraRam View Post
                  https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...235629222.html

I was surprised to see that KSU and KU are slated to have 13 and 8 basketball games, respectively, broadcast on ESPN+ this year. I'm glad they get to be the guinea pigs and not us.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I was surprised to see that KSU and KU are slated to have 13 and 8 basketball games, respectively, broadcast on ESPN+ this year. I'm glad they get to be the guinea pigs and not us.
                    In regards to the number of games on ESPN+, it's totally about the number of television sets in a given area. Expect to see 25% or more of our conference games on ESPN+. While this may not affect most of us, it will have a negative impact on our brand.

Comment

I would selfishly love every game to be on espn+. $10 a month to watch every shocker game? Yes please. Cable is the next AOL... Soon the only people still paying for it will be the people that don’t understand it’s not necessary anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X