College Entrance Fraud (non-WSU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Entrance Fraud (non-WSU)

This probably wont result in NCAA sanctions since it involves non-students too, but some coaches are indicted.

Glad Yale finally got nailed. Those ****ers

Comment

Not surprised at all.
      And it doesn't stop after they get admitted either....After admittance hey get the best "tutors" to "help" them with their work.

O.T. - If a high school graduate wants to get paid to play basketball....there are tons of options now days.....go to Europe, go to China....go to South America.....but don't corrupt the college game ( i know...i know....too late)

Comment

Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

O.T. - If a high school graduate wants to get paid to play basketball....there are tons of options now days.....go to Europe, go to China....go to South America.....but don't corrupt the college game ( i know...i know....too late)
        Nah man. You're not going to blame the NCAA's corruption on the kids.

Comment

Fault #1 lies with the kids. Period. I knew a student in a high school, don't recall the year, sorry, that was looking for tutoring help in math. I could literally quick fire the simplest of questions at this person "what's 7 + 5", and the person would literally stop pull out their hands and start counting on their fingers. Sometimes they would mess up and say "13, no, 12." Then repeat the question "okay, what's 5 + 7" and they would again have to count on their fingers. The person did NOT want to put in the time and effort AT ALL.

Comment

• _kai_
            _kai_ commented
            Editing a comment
            I had 2 cups of coffee and ate some peanut butter crackers for a snack.

That's about as relevant as your story is to this story of bribing university employees to fraudulently get admission for their kids.

It's possible I was the only one fooled by that NBC tweet which said it was a scheme to get "athletes into elite schools." If anyone else is confused, it appears that it is not actually about forging admission qualifications of elite basketball/football/etc. players to get into high ranking institutions. It is instead about pretending an otherwise unqualified individual is an athlete for purposes of getting the individual admitted to the institution.

As far as I've seen, this really does seem like the institutions were not involved. They would have no incentive to accept these students, and by all accounts they would have rejected the students' applications but for the scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
            It's possible I was the only one fooled by that NBC tweet which said it was a scheme to get "athletes into elite schools." If anyone else is confused, it appears that it is not actually about forging admission qualifications of elite basketball/football/etc. players to get into high ranking institutions. It is instead about pretending an otherwise unqualified individual is an athlete for purposes of getting the individual admitted to the institution.

As far as I've seen, this really does seem like the institutions were not involved. They would have no incentive to accept these students, and by all accounts they would have rejected the students' applications but for the scheme.
            As more details are coming out, it's definitely not just student athletes. There supposedly 12 D1 coaches indicted but I didn't recognize them. The rest appear to be family's just buying their children a future.

Though You gotta ask ... who paid 6 million. Did it really pay off? How bad were they that the buy off was 6 million?? If you were that child, wouldn't you just be pissed that they didn't just give you 6 million instead? lol

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Apparently, the apple didn't fall far from the tree in that case.

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              What's the saying about a fool and his money?

Isn’t “buying your way in” the entire underlying point of “elite” schools and universities anyway?

Comment

• WstateU
              WstateU commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, just look at the House and Senate.

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

As more details are coming out, it's definitely not just student athletes. There supposedly 12 D1 coaches indicted but I didn't recognize them. The rest appear to be family's just buying their children a future.

Though You gotta ask ... who paid 6 million. Did it really pay off? How bad were they that the buy off was 6 million?? If you were that child, wouldn't you just be pissed that they didn't just give you 6 million instead? lol
            I hadn't seen the $6 million number, but if so, that's hilarious. As far as I've seen, this was meant to be the "cheaper" option than a traditional gift to a university. If the going rate on buying a building to guarantee admission was like $10 million, you could get your kid in this route for like $500,000. $500,000 isn't really enough to be set for life, but $6 million certainly gets you closer. I know I'd personally prefer the cash and a state school degree.

My favorite part of the story is that the kids' faces were being photoshopped onto real athletes' bodies to make it more believable. Incredible.

Comment

I semi-recently graduated from the University of San Diego. Went on the GI Bill. Not surprising in the least that people’s families would pay above and beyond the insane tuitions of some of these schools to get their kids in (athletes or not). From my experience in that world, money really will buy you anything you want.

Comment

I have not seen Julia Louis -Dreyfuss....her boy PLAYED at Northwestern...wonder if HE was legit?

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                  I have not seen Julia Louis -Dreyfuss....her boy PLAYED at Northwestern...wonder if HE was legit?
                  Walk-on spots have been offered across the country for multiple years for donations to scholarship funds, etc. Not sure the morality behind it but it happens.
                  The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• 12eagle
                    12eagle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree many many walk on spots are given based on who you know, even at WSU

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                  The scam involving coaches was to have a student listed as a prospective athlete in order to change the admission guidelines. The admittance threshold is much lower for student athletes than non student athletes. This doesn't appear to involve any athletes that competed.

Comment

My question has always been why should it be easier for a student athlete to gain admission than anyone else? I know the answer is $$, but let’s question the cause here, not just treat the symptom....

Comment

Honestly surprised this is illegal... I understand money laundering and failing to report income on taxes, but if you’re a private institution, why shouldn’t someone be able to pay more to get into your school? Obviously if the school is handing out degrees to students, then the AASCB can pull accreditation...

I guess my question is... if kid 1 says I’ll pay $300,000 to go to Harvard, and kid 2 says he’ll pay $3,000,000, why wouldn’t Harvard take kid 2? Again, assuming both kids will be given the same level of coursework once accepted.

I recently sold my home and had multiple offers. I’m sure the single mom that offered $10,000 below asking price THOUGHT she deserved the house more- and maybe she did- but I took the highest offer. Am I wrong?

Comment

• WichitaStateGuy
                        WichitaStateGuy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This is in regard to private institutions, obviously, not public.
                    Working...
                    X