Official JB appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official JB appreciation thread

Where would we be without him being able to play the point the second half of the season so steadily?

You guys dislike SHJ’s shot selection now, imagine what it would’ve been like if we had left him at the point?

It would be criminal if both he and DD don’t make the all freshman team. JBs all around numbers have been veryimpressive as of late-especially taking care of the ball.
    Last edited by shoxlax; March 7, 2019, 11:09 PM.

Kids a stud! He gonna be a player (kinda already is). Will be a leader in the very near future. Tough as nails type of guy.
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      He’ll be one of the players that will hit big shots in the next 3 years; on the road he’ll hit some big ‘sit down and shut up’ shots... stay tuned, he might even hit one this year. I can feel it in my old bones. :)

I like your premise, but am confused what all tournament team you are referring to. Are you predicting a tournament in the future, or do you mean all-freshman AAC team?

Comment

• BOBB
      BOBB commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm assuming all conference freshmen.

• shoxlax
      shoxlax commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I was watching the UCF-Cincy game at the same time I was typing this and lacked attention to detail.

Conference stats for Burton:

7.3 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 4.0 apg, 25.3 mpg
    41%, 32%, 80%, 2:1 A:TO
    Livin the dream

Comment

For reference, Tekele Cotton sophomore stats:

6.5 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 1.7 apg, 23.7 mpg
      44%, 36%, 54%, 1.5:1 A:TO
      Livin the dream

Comment

• The Mad Hatter
        The Mad Hatter commented
        Editing a comment
        Good comparison.

One big difference is the steals numbers. JB has 0.79 steals per 40 minutes. As a freshman averaging only 9.9 mpg, Tekele had 2.41 steals per 40 minutes and as a sophomore he had 1.73 steals per 40 minutes.

• Jhook89
        Jhook89 commented
        Editing a comment
        Fun stat: ES has a 1.81 steals per 40 min

Jamarius has a big upside based on how he's played down the stretch. Give him a summer to work on his weak points and there's no reason not to expect an outstanding sophomore year.
      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

He did an outstanding job as PG this season as a freshman and he should be even better next season.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          For reference, Tekele Cotton sophomore stats:

6.5 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 1.7 apg, 23.7 mpg
          44%, 36%, 54%, 1.5:1 A:TO
          Cotton was not playing the point and had Fred and Ron pressuring the to it in another gear and becomes more aggressive ball so he could lurch for the steals.

I have noticed in the last six games or so that when the Shox need a lift, a big play or a score, JB puts it in another gear, becomes more aggressive— kind of like a leader. He’s taken and made a few “team lifting “ shots — kind of like one Tekele Cotton

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

very strong, physically, point guard. quinn buckner-like in that aspect.

Comment

If Burton can turn into just a good enough shooter that he has to be guarded I think he will be hard to dislodge at the point. Good size, plays with his head up, doesn't seem to get sped up easily.
              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
                I like your premise, but am confused what all tournament team you are referring to. Are you predicting a tournament in the future, or do you mean all-freshman AAC team?
                You are correct and I am punch drunk.

Comment

Noah Fernandes and Jamarious Burton can duke it out for starting position next season

Comment

JB will go down low and take/out muscle the ball from a forward sometimes too.

Comment

I liked JB from his first game. He showed the raw talent and was awesome. Then it was clear as he digressed a bit in the non con as he was trying to play as he was coached. Scoring fell off a bit, shooting down.

Now, we can clearly see the coaching starting to polish that talent and he is progressing nicely.

JB, I think will be the epitome of steady. Big, steady and able to do everything from the point.
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                        If Burton can turn into just a good enough shooter that he has to be guarded I think he will be hard to dislodge at the point. Good size, plays with his head up, doesn't seem to get sped up easily.
                        Are there really many examples of players who were poor shooters who “worked on it” over the summer and became decent shooters? I’m sure there are some but they would seem to be the rare exception. It’s seems to me to be the type of thing that you are what you are for the most part. I’m sure he’s worked on shooting all his life. He’s not suddenly going to become a shooter imo.

Comment

• im4wsu
                          im4wsu commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Season MP 3P 3PA 3P%
                          2011-12 315 8 23 0.348
                          2012-13 923 24 66 0.364
                          2013-14 1085 43 116 0.371
                          2014-15 1080 33 114 0.289
                          Career 3403 108 319 0.339

• choida
                          choida commented
                          Editing a comment
                          LeBron Simmons Giannis Kidd all are or were not great shooters... But are or worked on it enough to be guarded

• ShockCrazy
                          ShockCrazy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I don't think I would describe Cotton as a shooter that improved. He was always a streaky shooter who REALLY seemed to like February and March(maybe he was sandbagging for the right moments). It's kinda startling the difference each year, barring senior where he never got hot.
                      Working...
                      X