X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranking of Gregg's 50 best wins at WSU

https://goshockers.com/news/2019/3/1...ay-to-300.aspx

Paul ranked Gregg's Top 50 wins at WSU.

Warning: prepare to not get anything done for awhile when reading this list. So, so many great memories!
    Last edited by WuShock16; March 4, 2019, 10:32 AM.
    78-65

Where will our 2018-2019 AAC tournament championship win rank? :)
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I really enjoyed #13, the win against Arizona. Just seeing Sean Miller on the sidelines sweating so profusely.....it was a real treat to watch and wasn't at all a distraction from the game. #2 was also very memorable, that look on Boo Craft's face was priceless as Ohio State went down.

Comment

• JVShocker
        JVShocker commented
        Editing a comment
        postscript......the WSU Illinois State game where Tekele Cotton posterized John Jones. Tekele did things that Zion Williamson is now doing.

Not sure what I would remove to make room, but the last time the Redbirds came to Koch was kinda fun. I've never enjoyed a 41-point beatdown so much. I also enjoyed Gregg's "teaching moment" in the final minute of that game.

It was maybe a week or two before this game (and after the loss in Normal), but I remember saying that if WSU played to its capability, not only would the Shockers win out through the rest of the conference slate but that no one could stay within single digits. Other than an eight-point win at Drake in the game before the Redbird beatdown, I was correct on that prognostication.
      78-65

Comment

I’ve always wondered and this seems like a good topic for it; is there a place to watch or purchase old games? I know some are on YouTube like Gonzaga but it looks like it was recorded on a potato and the audio is out of sync. I know ESPN3 used to keep games for a while but it looks like they’ve lowered the timeframe to a year, max.

Comment

The tourney win over Kansas will always be #1 to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
            The tourney win over Kansas will always be #1 to me.
            Beating the #1 team in the country (Gonzaga) or winning to earn a spot in the Final Four (Ohio State) certainly have to be considered more impactful, but I know what you mean in that 78-65 was so damn satisfying. I never again have to listen to Beakers fans squawk that lil' ol' WSU would never stand a chance against the mighty Jayhawks. The better part was that the Shockers quite frankly were better. It wasn't a miracle prayer answered at the end. It wasn't something controversial. It wasn't that the Shockers played out of their minds that day. The Shockers were flat-out the superior team, period and end-of-discussion.
            78-65

Comment

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              There was a peaceful calm that day that I am certain will never experience again. There was excitement too, and joy, but still a unique feeling that will never be repeated, at least as far as I'm concerned.

#5.5 is when we beat UConn in Hawaii. I don't care what the record book says.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• WstateU
              WstateU commented
              Editing a comment
              I was there... my poor monkey was in shock for days.

• AndShock
              AndShock commented
              Editing a comment
              Toure’s winner against Creighton in St. Louis is up there too.

• WstateU
              WstateU commented
              Editing a comment
              Witnessed that one too...

I go with Gonzaga because it was the win that first made me realize that we really could play with, and beat, anyone. That feeling, that sudden realization of possibility, only comes once. I was raised on Cohen and Thompson, so I hadn't felt that yet. Now I have, and while I still love every win, and I'll love watching this team bounce back from a down year, nothing can beat that first glimpse of the mountaintop.

The KU game was an "I told you so" pleasure--very different, but right up there nonetheless.

Comment

Switched #7 with #9 and and I'd say the Top 10 is pretty spot on.
              The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                #5.5 is when we beat UConn in Hawaii. I don't care what the record book says.
                I know what you mean.

I'd add 3 other games, if not top 10, at least top 20, if you were to count loses. 2012-13 loss to Louisville in the F4, 2013-14 loss to Kentucky, and the another loss to Kentucky in 2016-17.

Due to Hancock's "one game wonder" and his no-call foul against Baker, Louisville went on to win the National Championship the next game.

At the time, I was very upset that we lost to 8 seed Kentucky. Then, they went all the way to the finals, beating 4 seed Louisville, 2 seed Michigan, and 2 seed Wisconsin, before losing in the Finals.

Our first year without Fred and Ron, the Shocks fought tooth and nail with 2 seed Kentucky and never gave up. Kentucky eventually lost to 1 seed UNC who ended up winning the NC.

Three loses, but very, very proud of our boys' heart and play.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I know what you mean.

I'd add 3 other games, if not top 10, at least top 20, if you were to count loses. 2012-13 loss to Louisville in the F4, 2013-14 loss to Kentucky, and the another loss to Kentucky in 2016-17.

Due to Hancock's "one game wonder" and his no-call foul against Baker, Louisville went on to win the National Championship the next game.

At the time, I was very upset that we lost to 8 seed Kentucky. Then, they went all the way to the finals, beating 4 seed Louisville, 2 seed Michigan, and 2 seed Wisconsin, before losing in the Finals.

Our first year without Fred and Ron, the Shocks fought tooth and nail with 2 seed Kentucky and never gave up. Kentucky eventually lost to 1 seed UNC who ended up winning the NC.

Three loses, but very, very proud of our boys' heart and play.
                  You could make a list of the top 10 losses too. So many great games that we could/should have won. UCONN, Louisville, Kentucky to start.

Also. I think for me, #15 might have to be in the top 10. That was the craziest comeback that I've ever seen and it preserved that perfect season. It was simply an insane second half.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                    ShockTalk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Off the cuff, I'm not sure I could come up with any other losses in the Marshall era that come close to these 3 games when you include who we played, how we played, how close the game was, how important the game was on a national level, and what the team we lost to ended up doing after that loss.

• Kung Wu
                    Kung Wu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Florida State

• Kung Wu
                    Kung Wu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, Marshall era ... nvm.

‘14 against UK was the worst loss to me and nothing comes close. I can’t remember ever feeling sicker than after that game. Not losing for a year and then losing like that was awful.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                    ‘14 against UK was the worst loss to me and nothing comes close. I can’t remember ever feeling sicker than after that game. Not losing for a year and then losing like that was awful.
                    Me too. The only other loss that comes close was Louisville in the Final Four, but there was a sense of satisfaction with that, like we accomplished something great even in the loss. But with Kentucky, no way. We were the best team in college basketball that year, we should have brought home the natty. It still makes me sick.
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Great work by Paul S. As someone says above: The 2016 game vs Arizona (# 13) has always been one of my favorites. The defense in the first half was the best example of 'Play Angry' ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X