Realistic shot at NIT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realistic shot at NIT?

Does someone smarter than me have any idea about our odds at the NIT? That would be a major accomplishment this year. The only NITology I found that was updated right before the weekend from Mid Major Madness.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019...t-at-large-bid

That has Tulsa in ahead of us... Looking at resumes I think that is silly, but I am biased. I think three wins in a row coming up might really stick us in. I also failed to note how big of a deal winning margin is for the NET. We might need to put a hurting on ECU and Tulane to improve that ranking. We are No. 91 this morning according to the NCAA.

Doesn't the NIT take every conference champion that doesn't make the NCAA? If so, that seems really difficult to project who gets selected. Say 24 at larges, doesn't really put us in the mix it would appear. Who knows? They know we'll sell tickets but that requires a top 4 seed which seems very improbable.

Let's see how things turn out in Memphis first...…….

Comment

The crowd gives us an advantage. We’ll make it.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Does schedule strength come into play anymore with all these rankings? I know up until last month our schedule strength was rated really high. I'm sure it's recently gone down a bit though.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Doesn't the NIT take every conference champion that doesn't make the NCAA? If so, that seems really difficult to project who gets selected. Say 24 at larges, doesn't really put us in the mix it would appear. Who knows? They know we'll sell tickets but that requires a top 4 seed which seems very improbable.

Let's see how things turn out in Memphis first...…….
          Yes, the NIT takes all conference regular season champions that do not make the NCAA. So in that respect we want every regular season champion in a one bid league to win their tournament and get the autobid. I presume in conferences with co-champions (like the Valley this year) that rule applies to the #1 seed.

While I get the sentiment of this rule, I would rather see the NIT be the best remaining 32 teams per the metric du jour (NET this year).
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I believe it’s more subjective than the NCAA. They have to sell tickets, which is something we do and will be to our advantage. I think we have a chance with 3 more wins and are a lock with 4.

Comment

Let's just win the AAC tourney and not even worry about the NIT! :)

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                Shocktoberfest commented
                Editing a comment
                Word!

• JVShocker
                JVShocker commented
                Editing a comment
                This thing.

Not for nothing, but when was the last time we went dancing and were not an at large type team? 86-87? Law of large numbers would say we're due for a trip as a bit of a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Not for nothing, but when was the last time we went dancing and were not an at large type team? 86-87? Law of large numbers would say we're due for a trip as a bit of a surprise.
                Uh Oh, the doc making predictions?

Comment

• WuDrWu
                  WuDrWu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No no no no....just an observation. Lots of teams get the auto bid that aren't at large worthy. Exclude the 90s and we've had teams capable of doing that at times.

If we bare minimum win ecu x2 and Tulane are we squarely in the CBI?

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                  If we bare minimum win ecu x2 and Tulane are we squarely in the CBI?
                  As much as I would like these guys to keep playing this year, CBI/CIT is company we don't want to keep. I didn't see any Mountain West or A10 teams in last year's versiin, let alone AAC. I think it is autobid, NIT, or bust.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

As much as I would like these guys to keep playing this year, CBI/CIT is company we don't want to keep. I didn't see any Mountain West or A10 teams in last year's versiin, let alone AAC. I think it is autobid, NIT, or bust.
                    Any reason to get more practices and game time for this group is much needed. I'd take post season play in a 50+ YMCA Rec league if it was possible.
                    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                      WSUwatcher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well, if it's 50+, would that give you a chance to get some PT yourself?

Taylor Eldridge covered this recently, and he thought WSU had a chance to compare favorably with last year's NIT Temple team. I think an 19-14 record would certainly do that, and 18-14 probably would as well. Plus, WSU does sell tickets, and considering how subjective seeding can be, that factor alone would probably worth a #4 seed vs. a #5.
                      Last edited by WSUwatcher; March 4, 2019, 11:41 AM.

• _kai_
                      _kai_ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm a little to spry for that age bracket, but my knees feel about that age.

• BOBB
                      BOBB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I felt that way for a while, but you have to protect the brand. Same reason A-list Hollywood stars only do commercials in Japan or for fashion houses.

Based on recent reports it might be more valuable to have coaches available to go recruiting rather than preparing for a home game against USC Upstate.

Comment

1) I don't think our attendance history will matter. (Won't be a top 4 seed)
                      2) I don't think 3 more wins against #253 and #301 in NET ranking will move the needle for us. Maybe 1 more in the AAC tourney will.
                      3) Our Q1 record is 1-6, Q2 is 4-6 per Warren Nolan
                      4) Several teams we've lost to, (Davidson, Alabama, OU, VCU, Memphisx2,Temple, USF) are bubble or NIT teams and would likely be ahead of us.
                      5) CBI and CIT aren't really for teams "at our level" anymore as someone above pointed out.

I'd like to see us in the postseason, but I believe it is unlikely.

Comment

We are 15-13. Take care of business and we finish the RS 17-13, top half of the conference, with a 10-8 record and a finish of 9-2. Of the 5 teams above us, three are NCAAT locks and two are bubble teams with Temple barely in and Memphis slated for the NIT but likely a NCAAT at-large team with a run to the AAC championship game.

So a conference with likely 4 and possibly 5 tourney teams isn't getting the 6th place team into the NIT....a team that finished the RS 9-2 and 10-8 overall I conference? And is coached by Gregg Marshall? And has the conference's most difficult overall schedule? And will sell out and be a great environment to sell to a national audience? I call BS.

If we finish the RS strong, take care of business in the AAC opening round & we are 18-13. Lock for NIT. Beat UCF (19-13), and our NIT seed goes up. Win in the semis (20-13) we enter the at-large discussion - would make us 12-2 last 14 with four road wins and 3 neutral court wins, & two of the neutrals being Q1. That's would be an at-large worthy resume.

Comment

• WstateU
                          WstateU commented
                          Editing a comment
                          This is for @BOBB... from one cowboy to another.

https://media.giphy.com/media/DAfINlyZXNpxm/giphy.gif

• WSUwatcher
                          WSUwatcher commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I agree about the NIT, Indiana -- and I think a top 4 seed, especially with a second win in the conference tourney if that were to happen, is entirely plausible. If there's some question between #4 and #5, I believe the NIT, with cash registers ringing in their ears, would be likely to err on the side of #4 for a team that would draw well.

As for the NCAA at large spot, though, I believe that ship sailed some time ago -- probably when the NCAA wouldn't let Teddy come on board.
                          Last edited by WSUwatcher; March 4, 2019, 04:46 PM.

• ShockerPrez
                          ShockerPrez commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If we win in the AAC semis, we will be an auto bid.

GM would have to channel Herb Brooks for a speech.
                      Working...
                      X