Realistic shot at NIT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post
    We are 15-13. Take care of business and we finish the RS 17-13, top half of the conference, with a 10-8 record and a finish of 9-2. Of the 5 teams above us, three are NCAAT locks and two are bubble teams with Temple barely in and Memphis slated for the NIT but likely a NCAAT at-large team with a run to the AAC championship game.

So a conference with likely 4 and possibly 5 tourney teams isn't getting the 6th place team into the NIT....a team that finished the RS 9-2 and 10-8 overall I conference? And is coached by Gregg Marshall? And has the conference's most difficult overall schedule? And will sell out and be a great environment to sell to a national audience? I call BS.

If we finish the RS strong, take care of business in the AAC opening round & we are 18-13. Lock for NIT. Beat UCF (19-13), and our NIT seed goes up. Win in the semis (20-13) we enter the at-large discussion - would make us 12-2 last 14 with four road wins and 3 neutral court wins, & two of the neutrals being Q1. That's would be an at-large worthy resume.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but we are championship or bust. With making the final and losing, we would be sitting at 3-7 in quadrant 1 and 4-6 in quadrant 2 and a NET likely somewhere in the 60s or higher. That's just not at large material. Not really even particularly close, there isn't a single team in the at-large discussion below .500 on quadrant two games. Edit: I lied there is one, Utah State who is 2-3 in quadrant 2 but also is 2-2 in quadrant 1 with a NET of 30, not exactly apples to apples.

Comment

• IndianaShocker
      IndianaShocker commented
      Editing a comment
      My post was in regards to us being selected to the NIT. If we are in the at-large discussion, and play at-large level over our final 14 games we sure as hell will be in the NIT.

Notes...

#1. I said we enter the discussion with 20 wins. Never said we are in.

#2. I said in that scenario, last 14 games were at large worthy (likely even a loss in the semis would still be an at large quality resume over the final 14 games). In other words, over essentially the last half of the recorded results for 2018-19 we played at an NCAA tourney level.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• ShockCrazy
      ShockCrazy commented
      Editing a comment
      I mean that's nice and all but it's just a statistical projection, one that's really weak since as of right now there is no projected NET rankings as there were for RPI.

Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble but we are championship or bust. With making the final and losing, we would be sitting at 3-7 in quadrant 1 and 4-6 in quadrant 2 and a NET likely somewhere in the 60s or higher. That's just not at large material. Not really even particularly close, there isn't a single team in the at-large discussion below .500 on quadrant two games. Edit: I lied there is one, Utah State who is 2-3 in quadrant 2 but also is 2-2 in quadrant 1 with a NET of 30, not exactly apples to apples.
    The NIT has guidelines but no rules. It is entirely up to them if they want to bend guidelines or change anything they want to. I'm not predicting that we will be invited or have a home game to SELL OUT but I'm suggesting that it is not cut and dry with rules. The NIT can do whatever they want to and they do care about money too. It all depends on the NIT Committee who they invite. Some years they will care about running things by rules, and some years they probably care more about finances. It just depends on which administrators are on the the committee.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post
      We are 15-13. Take care of business and we finish the RS 17-13, top half of the conference, with a 10-8 record and a finish of 9-2. Of the 5 teams above us, three are NCAAT locks and two are bubble teams with Temple barely in and Memphis slated for the NIT but likely a NCAAT at-large team with a run to the AAC championship game.

So a conference with likely 4 and possibly 5 tourney teams isn't getting the 6th place team into the NIT....a team that finished the RS 9-2 and 10-8 overall I conference? And is coached by Gregg Marshall? And has the conference's most difficult overall schedule? And will sell out and be a great environment to sell to a national audience? I call BS.

If we finish the RS strong, take care of business in the AAC opening round & we are 18-13. Lock for NIT. Beat UCF (19-13), and our NIT seed goes up. Win in the semis (20-13) we enter the at-large discussion - would make us 12-2 last 14 with four road wins and 3 neutral court wins, & two of the neutrals being Q1. That's would be an at-large worthy resume.
      Great Post!

Comment

Win out , win a game in the AAC tourney
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

As a comparison, here is the 2018 NIT "Last 10 At-Large" Teams:
          RPI SOS Team Conf Record Conf NIT Seed
          68 28 Baylor Big 12 18-14 8-10 1
          70 37 Notre Dame ACC 20-14 8-10 1
          71 41 Washington Pac-12 20-12 10-8 5
          72 90 Oregon Pac-12 22-12 10-8 3
          73 101 Mississippi State SEC 22-11 9-9 4
          77 93 Penn State Big Ten 21-13 9-9 4
          86 26 Stanford Pac-12 18-15 11-7 3
          88 69 Oklahoma State Big 12 19-14 8-10 2
          94 40 LSU SEC 17-14 8-10 3
          95 76 Boston College ACC 19-15 7-10 5

Here is 2019 Stats as of 03/04/19:
          73 30 Wichita State AAC 15-13 8-8 na

There is no doubt in my mind that WSU will at least be in the "NIT Selection Committee Room" if we win the last two AAC Conference games. Winning the first game in the AAC Tourney increases the odds significantly, while winning two games will make it a lock in the NIT, winning three games and we get a home game with a top 1 thru 4 seed, Of course, when we win all 4 games and bust some other team's Bubble, well, wah wah wah. Just say'n...

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
            Shocktoberfest commented
            Editing a comment
            I know the comments about running the table in Memphis are in jest, but are they? It's a crazy long shot. But to even be having this conversation and looking at the real possibility our team could go on that kind of run is simply fantastic. I am so proud of how this team has grown and turned this into a fun year. I've really enjoyed the ride. It's been a palate cleanser of a season. I love me some Shocker basketball.

I'm also in the camp of NCAA/NIT or bust. Has anybody looked at any teams that have played in the CBI the last 5 years?

We would stick out like a sore thumb and NOT in a good way.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
          I'm also in the camp of NCAA/NIT or bust. Has anybody looked at any teams that have played in the CBI the last 5 years?

I don't necessarily disagree with you, just playing devil's advocate here, but no one--I mean NO ONE--pays attention to the CBI. So would it really hurt our reputation to get the freshmen some additional playing time?
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

I don't necessarily disagree with you, just playing devil's advocate here, but no one--I mean NO ONE--pays attention to the CBI. So would it really hurt our reputation to get the freshmen some additional playing time?
            The only way the CBI makes any sense is if HCGM basically sits MM and SHJ (less than 10 or so minutes playing time) to let the returnees play together against outside competition.

I really don't believe that will happen. Therefore, don't bother.

Comment

I agree with ST's principle as well.

But for reference, here's the 2018 CBI field:
              Campbell
              Canisius
              Central Arkansas
              Colgate
              Eastern Washington
              Grand Canyon
              Jacksonville State
              Mercer
              Miami (OH)
              New Orleans
              North Texas
              San Francisco
              Seattle
              South Dakota
              Utah Valley
              UT Rio Grande Valley

Not only a NO, but a HELL EFFING NO.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I agree with ST's principle as well.

But for reference, here's the 2018 CBI field:
                Campbell
                Canisius
                Central Arkansas
                Colgate
                Eastern Washington
                Grand Canyon
                Jacksonville State
                Mercer
                Miami (OH)
                New Orleans
                North Texas
                San Francisco
                Seattle
                South Dakota
                Utah Valley
                UT Rio Grande Valley

Not only a NO, but a HELL EFFING NO.
                I agree. A CBI birth is a no-win situation. If we lose to the likes of a unknown, we'd be a laughing stock and I'd be very embarrassed for this team. If we win, then people will start saying oh how the mighty have fallen. HCGM would have to convince me that accepting a CBI birth is to ONLY give our young team more D1 game experience - I could see the value in that.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                  As a comparison, here is the 2018 NIT "Last 10 At-Large" Teams:
                  RPI SOS Team Conf Record Conf NIT Seed
                  68 28 Baylor Big 12 18-14 8-10 1
                  70 37 Notre Dame ACC 20-14 8-10 1
                  71 41 Washington Pac-12 20-12 10-8 5
                  72 90 Oregon Pac-12 22-12 10-8 3
                  73 101 Mississippi State SEC 22-11 9-9 4
                  77 93 Penn State Big Ten 21-13 9-9 4
                  86 26 Stanford Pac-12 18-15 11-7 3
                  88 69 Oklahoma State Big 12 19-14 8-10 2
                  94 40 LSU SEC 17-14 8-10 3
                  95 76 Boston College ACC 19-15 7-10 5
                  Here is 2019 Stats as of 03/04/19:
                  73 30 Wichita State AAC 15-13 8-8 na
                  There is no doubt in my mind that WSU will at least be in the "NIT Selection Committee Room" if we win the last two AAC Conference games. Winning the first game in the AAC Tourney increases the odds significantly, while winning two games will make it a lock in the NIT, winning three games and we get a home game with a top 1 thru 4 seed, Of course, when we win all 4 games and bust some other team's Bubble, well, wah wah wah. Just say'n...
                  It's a different year, of course, but if this list is any indication at all -- and in my view it would be silly and stubbornly skeptical for the sake of skepticism to ignore it -- WSU is in great position, not just for a spot in the NIT, but for a 1-4 seed as well. Just take care of business in the games where the Shocks are favored, which would probably be enough; then put the cherry on top by picking off (probably) UCF -- a team with whom WSU matches up pretty well -- in Memphis

Comment

Our rpi and NET forecasts go down about 10 spots with 2 more wins. Will likely go down again with another win over ECU. Add in a loss and we are below 100 in NET. Our SOS takes a big hit also. I don't see an NIT this year. Our recent record is good, but there are no good wins in there. The body of work is just not there.

Comment

It seems like we'd need a NET ranking a long ways below our current 91 to get to the NIT. The NIT is selected by the NCAA, so their new toy, NET, will probably be heavily considered. ECU at home and Tulane on the road aren't going to help the NET much, if at all. Then a first-round game in the torney that looks like another game to dilute the SoS.

If we make the NIT, it will be because of name recognition and really pi$$ off some fans of mid-majors who will (possibly rightfully) feel disrespected because name schools get favorable treatment from the NCAA.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                        It seems like we'd need a NET ranking a long ways below our current 91 to get to the NIT.
                        Possible, but as Reaper noted above, the magic number they used last year (RPI) let teams in at #94 and #95, and one of them (#94) got a third seed. Of course, that particular team was from the glorious Big 12...

Still, the NCAA has never been noted for its reluctance to exasperate fans of teams in "mid-major" leagues.

Comment

Working...
                        X