Wichita State at SMU Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Early in the season, if Duff and SHJ DIDN’T go off we couldn’t win. Now we can win a road game when both aren’t very good. #Progress
    Bingo! This is why he is a Doctor of Basketballology!

That is all.

Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• MikeKennedyRulZ
      MikeKennedyRulZ commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol!! He’s not exactly breaking any new ground or solving some mystery. Pretty easy to see that. #hottake

• Postgame Marshall comments:

SMU banged up, no Jimmy Whitt, good time to play them
    Tweaks to base O or D tended to “confuse” early but have gotten better
    Let alone the challenge of coaching base D/O themselves
    Challenge of coaching a very young team with most players new
    ES passed “beautifully”... except for last one
    ES-RT-JB 14/3 ATO... “not bad”
    Feels good to be +2 over .500 again, couldn’t remember since when
    17-10 ATO with a young team is a positive
    Didn’t shoot well at all, lot of good looks
    Defense was key factor
    Missed several checkouts on rebounds
    RT one of best passes of year to JE on the slip

Comment

• I like everyone here; many of you make me LMAO! :)
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• “That is all.”

Comment

• Oh, my wife says I act like a 6 year old.

That is all again.

Comment

• moshock
            moshock commented
            Editing a comment
            My wife says the same thing....I'm like - what's your point ???

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          For those posters calling for McDuffie to be benched...

...Have you noticed who replaces McDuffie when he takes a seat? McDuffie needs to be on the court for a LOT of minutes, regardless of the game he's having.
          Agreed, due to the younger players all looking to him for leadership.
          All the pieces fell into place today.
          UConn came through with a W (despite doing everything they could to lose), Shocks win on the road and now hold 6th seed in Memphis.
          Second half offense was stagnant, as in no off ball movement and whole boatload of dribble, dribble and dribble some more and then Sr's jack an off balance shot. In fact, the best offense sequence was a Poor Bear trey and RB head fake and drive to the basket.
          Think about that for a second.

To think they are a 6th seed after starting 1-6 in this league speaks volumes. Freshman are growing up and making plays.

I think Memphis may end up being a fun weekend.

That is all.
          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• remember 2019 as the year of the Triplets DD, JB, and ES.
            the future ceiling is so high with them as the core.

Would like to nominate ES for the "excuseMeWhileIViolateYourSpace" award when he, in the same motion, set a screen and handed the ball off to JB while setting his shoulder into the defender's solar plexus. Poor guy fell backwards and crumpled into the dead spider position before the whistle blew.

Imagine when the weight training kicks in next year.

I would think AM will win this award each game going forward until 2022. ES just got lucky, but it was a beautiful thing to behold.
            Last edited by shoxilla; March 3, 2019, 04:07 PM.
            For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
            - said no one ever...

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              "dead spider position"

ROFL!

T

...:cool:

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Agreed, due to the younger players all looking to him for leadership.
            All the pieces fell into place today.
            UConn came through with a W (despite doing everything they could to lose), Shocks win on the road and now hold 6th seed in Memphis.
            Second half offense was stagnant, as in no off ball movement and whole boatload of dribble, dribble and dribble some more and then Sr's jack an off balance shot. In fact, the best offense sequence was a Poor Bear trey and RB head fake and drive to the basket.
            Think about that for a second.

To think they are a 6th seed after starting 1-6 in this league speaks volumes. Freshman are growing up and making plays.

I think Memphis may end up being a fun weekend.

That is all.
            I was going to save it for my postgame summary but not sure I’ll get one done. My favorite stat that ties into a key dynamic that you mention:

Jamarius, Dexter, and Erik have all played the same (or more) amount of minutes that Fred did his entire freshman season.

I haven’t gone back and looked at the non-con, but I’m very comfortable saying that those minutes (1) as starters, and (2) in the AAC are far superior “growing up” quality than Fred hammering some overmatched guard from Drake after he’d already been used up by Malcolm for 10 minutes.

I think we can be fairly optimistic about seeing some solid sophomore-level ball the remainder of this season with a very nice trajectory going forward...

Comment

• Comment

• shockrah
                shockrah commented
                Editing a comment
                Well said!

• Highlights:

Comment

• Channeling his inner Tekele a bit...

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                  ShockdaWorld commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Perfect pass as well.

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Early in the season, if Duff and SHJ DIDN’T go off we couldn’t win. Now we can win a road game when both aren’t very good. #Progress
                Bingo! Team as a whole is growing.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post

Bingo! Team as a whole is growing.

Comment

• Unless we have a total team collapse the last two games of the regular season, we should finish with 17 wins. I will go out on a limb and say this year has to be the most challenging situation Gregg Marshall has ever experienced and the entire team deserves a pat on the back for not packing it in. Yeah, it's been frustrating with the step forwards and a few steps back rigmarole throughout the season, but if we can finish with 17 wins in the regular season, get at least 1 game in the conference tourney and 1 or 2 games in a post season tournament, we actually might see a 20 game win season from this group of very, very inexperienced bunch and that would be off the charts amazing.

Comment

• WstateU
                      WstateU commented
                      Editing a comment
                      http://www.charliejones1.com/img/monkey2.jpg

• WuShock16
                      WuShock16 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’m going to be greedy. I want two wins in Memphis. We certainly have to play well, but beating Temple/UCF on a neutral court isn’t impossible. 19-14 with a hot last six weeks will be hard for the NIT to ignore.

• If the Shocks can get back some home court mojo, keep up their rediscovered warrior play at Tulane, and pick up two wins in the conference tournament -- and UCF is a pretty good matchup for them -- a 19-14 record would make them about as close to a lock for the NIT (and probably at least one more home game) as you can get without winning an autobid as a smaller conference champ.

That would be also be a terrific finish to this season, a tribute to Marshall's coaching job, and a real tantalizer for next year.

Comment

Working...
                    X