No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs UConn Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is at least one Shocker fan who will probably never forget the ending to the UConn game. Did you catch the kid in the glasses and black t-shirt in the above game highlights who was by the couch in the SW corner of the arena as he was standing and clapping and then disappeared to the bottom of the Shocker dogpile. What a great story to be able to tell your kids and grandkids.

Comment

• wusphlash
      wusphlash commented
      Editing a comment
      Where's Waldo?

• WuDrWu commented
    23 hours ago
    6.4 seconds, 94 feet from the cup, what exactly do you expect? 3 man weave and a backdoor cut?
    I'd gladly take something in between what you suggested and what actually happened which was SHJ dribbling up the sideline attracting two defenders then going for the "schoolyard school" by jacking one up in their faces and landing out of bounds. Pure YMCA.

Maybe rub a few screens first then go for the dish/layup; maybe Ally to the streaking Stevenson who was open. What do I know? Not much about basketball. I do know probabilities better than most and the probability of SHJ making that shot more than once every ten tries is not good.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• proshox
      proshox commented
      Editing a comment
      You are a smart guy so you should know better.

When you have someone faster than any player on the opposing defense, the last thing you want is to crowd the space.

This is one of the great adjustments HCGM made this year, he used to screw over his point guards in these situations by bringing a screener. Watch early games this year or any from last year. It was always a cluster bumble. Now we are giving our best athlete space and the GREEN light to go get a bucket. It works.

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

I'd gladly take something in between what you suggested and what actually happened which was SHJ dribbling up the sideline attracting two defenders then going for the "schoolyard school" by jacking one up in their faces and landing out of bounds. Pure YMCA.

Maybe rub a few screens first then go for the dish/layup; maybe Ally to the streaking Stevenson who was open. What do I know? Not much about basketball. I do know probabilities better than most and the probability of SHJ making that shot more than once every ten tries is not good.

T

Nah. Wouldn’t work. The play we ran did. Find something else to punk. Odds are that we will lose again and you’ll have more opportunities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
      Nah. Wouldn’t work. The play we ran did. Find something else to punk. Odds are that we will lose again and you’ll have more opportunities.
      Yep. Knew Shockm would be pissed about that comment. Nothing to retort. Just his usual junk.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
        Supposedly, SHJ yelled "Game" before the shot went in
        I think we should run that play 4 or 5 times a game since it's something that's so easy for him to do.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• An alley to stevenson would have resulted in the buzzer sounding as stevenson was catching the ball, not to mention the defense he would have faced waiting under the basket. I know it’s hard to give a guy credit for a game winning shot. Thiink of guys like Ben Jacobsen that beat us with miracle shots. How is that any different?

Comment

• I think some people wish SHJ had made a risky pass to a worse shooter so that we would have turned it over or else just run out of time. Then they could have said how terrible at passing he is. It fits better with the narrative and that’s the most important thing, right?

Or SHJ should have driven it to the basket like Tyus friggin Edney and had it shoved back down his throat because that also confirms to our simplistic expectations and we’d rather live in a worse world that makes sense to us than a better one where we’re wrong.

Or we could have had someone else miss so we could praise them for their growing confidence and talk about how in a few years as a senior he’ll make that shot.

Or I suppose someone else could have made the shot so that our win wouldn’t have to go into the books with an asterisk because it couldn’t be anything but luck if SHJ made it and really we don’t deserve the win.

Can anyone remember any other time we hit a game-winning shot and our OWN FANS were upset about it? What game-breaking innovation do these people know about that yields a better shot on a 6-second, length-of-the-court play? Serious question actually—is there ANY high-percentage shot in that scenario?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I think we should run that play 4 or 5 times a game since it's something that's so easy for him to do.
              We won on a buzzer beater. We've also lost our share of buzzer beaters. UCONN threw up a prayer 3 pointer to even tie the score and had to hit two 3 pointers in the last half minute or so. They may have been lucky to tie the score.

That's basketball.

Samajae had a very good offensive game against UCONN. Other games, he hasn't been so good. When Samajae is on, I like him taking our buzzer shots and when he's not, I'd rather he doesn't. The one thing I do like about SHJ is that he is our best one on one player and most likely to get a decent shot. With 6 seconds left, our chances of playing an offensive possession where we include others in the play without running out of time is not a good wager. A team is much more likely to get their best shot when one player is isolated, other players can't switch on him and help defend him, and allow him to use his speed and quickness to create a shot.

To answer your question or statement. It's easy for Samajae to get a shot off, and that is one of his strengths because of his athleticsm, but some games he is much more likely to miss it (some games he wouldn't even hit the rim). This game was a good game for SHJ and he was our best bet.

Now, we may want to move on to SMU. It's an away game and we don't play as well on the road.

Comment

• Somewhere in my old posts I said I was chagrined to hear Coach’s plan for a last second play being something like “get it to Markis or Samajae and see what they can create”. I also haven’t been thrilled with SHJ’s overall body of work as far as shot selection.

BUT - as I said in my original postgame post, I thought the shot we got was a very solid look because he got great separation and was drifting away from his shooting hand so the angle was closing more slowly. And it was a clean look that was never going to get blocked or have an obstructed view. To quantify it further, I think SHJ would hit 4 out of 10 of those. That’s not a shot you’d want in the regular offense where you’re trying to get a 70+ percent look at a 2 or a 50% look at a 3, but with 6 seconds left it’s not only not bad, but I think there are a lot of coaches that would put away the whiteboard if they could get it.

My main point here though is something that I think other people have alluded to but I want to make it more clear:

If I would have told you 5 or 7 or however many years ago that (1) the Shocks had a bona fide, ball in the air, buzzer beater, (2) in Koch arena, (3) in a conference game, (4) against UConn, (5) it was a hometown kid, (6) that hometown kid lost his mother to cancer in high school and was fulfilling both of their dreams for him by playing for WSU and (7) that there was a not insignificant presence of people on this board that were anything but happy for the kid...

... what would you have said?

Yeah me too.

Let’s keep our eye on the ball, ShockerNet. Don’t make me track down Tyrone Shoelace to PM you an air biscuit, or hire DOFO to do your lawn/pool maintenance in a speedo to make your neighbors wonder about you.

Let’s get one today - Uncle Mo is back on the team bus!

GO SHOCKS!

Comment

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  http://www.jonathanmumm.com/wp-conte...-woodchuck.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dPRQ4ie.png

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "if he can hit THAT shot 4 out of 10 times we should run it everytime down"

That is correct! lol

T

• Good News
                  Good News commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Run it every time to get 0.8 points per possession (before netting out turnovers)? I haven’t looked at KenPom lately, but in most seasons/conferences that means you’re struggling to win 10 and circling Tulane on your calendar as a rivalry game. And since we’re playing around with numbers, here’s another fun stat - Kobe was 5/22 (23%) on postseason shots with under 10 seconds left. SHJ is what, 2 for 2 and we’re bagging on him for putting a W in the column? Again, I have not been happy with his overall shot selection this season but at some point you have to be realistic about the look/results from a 6 second possession ending at the buzzer.

• So in a game where SHJ “is on” and “very good offensively” he gets 20 points on 16 shots, shoots 44% from the field and the 3 point line and has a .5 A/TO ratio. No wonder our record is what it is.

A hometown kid hit a fading out of bounds prayer buzzer beater for the win. Good for him. Let’s not get carried away.

Comment

• Shockm
                  Shockm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nobody’s getting carried away.

It wasn’t a prayer shot (no it probably wasn’t a 40 percenter either) but with 6 seconds to go, I’ve seen a lot worse shots that we’ve taken.

It took him all 6 seconds to get down the court and shoot the shot. No time to pass it. You’d probably be happier if he missed it so you could be more critical with a loss. No offense but I like winning.

• ShockerFever
                  ShockerFever commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're definitely getting carried away, like you always do.

It's a 10% shot at best that happened to go in.

• CxPMbJ7XgAADIov.jpg
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Just be happy we got a shot off. be ECSTATIC that it went in! Just ENJOY the moment, GGG certainly did.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "Just be happy we got a shot off."

I have higher expectations than that with a veteran coach making nearly $4 million a year.

T

• Originally posted by DCShockerFan05 View Post
                  I think some people wish SHJ had made a risky pass to a worse shooter so that we would have turned it over or else just run out of time. Then they could have said how terrible at passing he is. It fits better with the narrative and that’s the most important thing, right?

Or SHJ should have driven it to the basket like Tyus friggin Edney and had it shoved back down his throat because that also confirms to our simplistic expectations and we’d rather live in a worse world that makes sense to us than a better one where we’re wrong.

Or we could have had someone else miss so we could praise them for their growing confidence and talk about how in a few years as a senior he’ll make that shot.

Or I suppose someone else could have made the shot so that our win wouldn’t have to go into the books with an asterisk because it couldn’t be anything but luck if SHJ made it and really we don’t deserve the win.

Can anyone remember any other time we hit a game-winning shot and our OWN FANS were upset about it? What game-breaking innovation do these people know about that yields a better shot on a 6-second, length-of-the-court play? Serious question actually—is there ANY high-percentage shot in that scenario?
                  I wasn't upset at all... Glad to see the local kid hit a game winner on national television.

Comment

• 4.1 seconds.

3 passes, high percentage shot for the win. High school ball.

In life you don't always get rewarded immediately for doing the right thing, but in the long run it pays off, big time...

On the other hand, people can get rewarded immediately for poor decisions, but pay a high price over the long term. See: distribution variance.

SHJ has overcome many personal obstacles. He's also kept his nose clean when off the court. He certainly doesn't deserve any real grief for what happens on the court. He's a player and it seems from my perspective that he plays about as hard as he can. His decisions are predicated on the training/strategy he receives from the coaching staff. What happened in the final play of the UConn game should be taken at face value; it was a big gamble that turned into a jackpot. The lesson from that game should be of what not to do in the future.

T

Comment

Working...
                    X