Wichita State vs Memphis Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    Anybody know what's the most points we ever gave up at home?
    According to the 2018-19 Fact Book, page 146-147, here are the teams that scored 100 or more against us at home.

Pts Opponent Date Result
    101 UCLA 12/19/1959 L 101-106
    123 Utah St. 12/23/1966 W 123-106
    122 Arizona St. 12/11/1967 W 122-105
    Last edited by 1979Shocker; February 25, 2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Good God. Is 92 the most for Marshall?

Comment

• 1979Shocker
        1979Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        There have been 7 games of 100 or more points for Marshall at CKA.

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
      According to the 2018-19 Fact Book, page 146-147, here are the teams that scored 100 or more against us at home.

Pts Opponent Date Result
      101 UCLA 12/19/1959 L 101-106
      123 Utah St. 12/23/1966 W 123-106
      122 Arizona St. 12/11/1967 W 122-105
      That kind of scoring and no 3 point line? That would have been something to watch, but alas, before my time.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• The Burton vs Lomax debate: Lomax isn't asked to do what Burton is. Burton has to help carry the offensive load out o necessity where as Lomax gets to sit back and feed Martin. It is impossible to draw a conclusion based on the stats. Yes, JB fouled more than Lomax, but look at how the 2 teams play.... show me a single play that put Lomax in a position to foul. WSU just does not play a style of offense that puts down hill pressure on an opposing defense, which is what it takes to draw fouls. Yes, JB fouled a 3pt shooter, he also committed a couple of charges...because he was trying to go to the rim and create. JB is simply in a completely different situation than AL. Lomax looks to be a fine young player. For my $$, I'm taking Burton. He's bigger, stronger....oh, and he's actually a Shocker.

There were 2 plays by the seniors that I said were terrible when they happened. First was SHJ refusing a screen on the wing and taking a pull up 15ft jumper with NOBODY underneath to rebound. Result: Missed and fast break for Memphis. While that pull up from the baseline is SHJ's shot, he was shooting so poorly that I don't believe he should have refused the screen and taken it. If he was hot, sure....but when you are ice cold, running the offense as intended is a better option.

2nd situation, and this one is absolutely befuddling to me. Markis gets a switch that puts Lomax on him at the mid-post. Rightly, Markis is immediately fed the rock........to take a turn around fade away. He has a (generously) 6ft tall FRESHMAN guarding him. MM is...6'8"? even at 6'4" as a senior that is one of the top scorers in the league you take that guy to the rim. I know that isn't MM's forte, but dude, the old man at the Y knows to back that guy down. Come on man, you have to have better IQ than that.

Those are the things that stuck out to me. Its a shame the ending went as it did, that was one heck of a fun and riled up crowd.

Oh, and those that say "we're better w/o the seniors".....while I may mostly agree...you do realize that all the defensive attention MM draws gets refocused right? This game isn't played in a vacuum. Dexter will get plenty of attention, even yet this year. Yes, Teddy will draw some of the attention MM is getting, but.... how are the young guys going to do when they become the marked guy?
        -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

• proshox
          proshox commented
          Editing a comment
          Putting the ball on the ground to dribble versus Lomax may not have been smart either.

• Teddy will get a lot of attention. And he will also force fouls unlike our current squad.

Comment

• bighouse
          bighouse commented
          Editing a comment
          Teddy will be our version of Cumberland. Maybe not as good of a shooter from 3 but everything inside the line reminds me a ton of Cumberland. Be nice to have that playing for the good guys!

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          I have thought the same thing. I would not be surprised to see Teddy come in with a better 3 point shot with all this time off.

• As befuddling as some of our offensive possessions were, defense lost us this game. Need a win to spit the stinky taste of defeat out.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
          ShockingButTrue commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree that our defense could have been a little better, but I have to defend the 2 disgraceful blocking calls against Jaime. Possibly 2 of the WORST calls I have ever seen at Koch arena. Maybe Henry Levitt too.

• Still think the poor offense breaks down the defense at some point.

Comment

• BOBB
          BOBB commented
          Editing a comment
          Some truth to this.

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
        Still think the poor offense breaks down the defense at some point.
        I’m not sure I understand. We scored 85 points. How do you call that poor offense. It was our mental mistakes and dumb fouls, especially fouls on Martin who couldn’t miss from the free throw line (I think he scored 14 free throws).

Comment

• AndShock
          AndShock commented
          Editing a comment
          SHJ’s chucking almost always results in a quick bucket for the other team.

• ShockerFever
          ShockerFever commented
          Editing a comment
          You will not see a response from him on this.

• ShockingButTrue
          Editing a comment
          I'll chime in.

There were multiple players, mostly frosh, who insisted on forcing the ball into passing lanes that more often than not were occupied by 4 hands, much less just 2. The jitters were on display Saturday night.

• I'd take higher IQ decisions over athletic plays any day of the week... Dont @ me

Comment

• We aren't going to have SHJ after this year. He is what we. needed for a rebuild, but absolutely not for a trendy upward team that plays team bb.

Comment

• Next year with TA, and the recruits we have coming in, will absolutely embody Marshall far more than this years team. Stoked to see guard play that is closer to what we are used to and some scorers accompanying that.

Comment

• All this is a result of McDuffie’s poor leadership:

In this context, McDuffie is still efficient. Thank god DD has confidence now...

Comment

• Aargh
                Aargh commented
                Editing a comment
                that clip is the best explanation I've seen for WSU's inept offensive sets against Memphis. I know we scored 85, but that's because we played at the tempo Memphis likes to play at.

• I wasn't at the game, but please tell me we didn't boo Alex Lomax like an earlier post said.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                I wasn't at the game, but please tell me we didn't boo Alex Lomax like an earlier post said.
                Yes we did unfortunately.

Comment

• JVShocker
                  JVShocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, sometimes we have such an incredibly intelligent fan base.........and then this happened. I root for the players that want to be here. I also root and cheer when teams like Memphis come in for a game, because I don't want to see the likes of Valley teams that we used to have in here.

• Shocktoberfest
                  Shocktoberfest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  From where we sit you could barely hear a boo. I mean, like, I was waiting for it and still could only faintly hear it. My kids said they didn't hear anything. If it was coming from the student section that would make sense. They are opposite our seats.

• pinstripers
                  pinstripers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Showed up pretty well on the television audio

• Meh the Boos for Lomax wasnt crazy, felt like there was a small section booing him.
                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree, very minor booing; nothing to get our panties in a wad about. :)

• ShockingButTrue
                  Editing a comment
                  Wasn't very discernible on the tube either. Were the fans supposed to give him a good hand when he came in? Meh.
              Working...
              X