Wichita State vs Memphis Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1989 View Post

I’m not saying that Miller, Penny, or anyone else on that Memphis bench made a proper adjustment. What I am saying is that they have a guy who is averaging over 30 points in his last 7 games and that telling your team to get him the ball shouldn’t be framed as this super clever coaching adjustment.

They went on a run and guess what? We went on a run too. It was a game of runs, which happens. What I am defending against is this silly point of yours that Marshall’s use of timeouts is why we couldn’t get back in the game and stop their run, when we did in fact get back in the game and stop their run. Part of the reason why we couldn’t complete the comeback was because following the timeouts, the players didn’t do what was told to them.
    Either you didn't DVR the game or have a bad memory.
    When HCGM finally called a time out, now down 58-49, is when they started their run. After the TO, JE was fouled and missed both FT's Memphis went down, scored to make it 60-49 - this is when WSU made their run. The point, which for some reason you have a hard time comprehending, is Memphis went on 22-7 run BEFORE he decided it was enough to warrant a TO and regroup his players. When he did, they regrouped and actually played well during the run.

You may have a distorted recollection due to your loyalty, but it is what is is.

That is all.
    Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• I remember exactly what happpend. I was at the game. Row 5. You don’t seem to understand that my issue with your point of view is the fact that you are complaining about coach not doing something that he did. You are bitching about coach not calling a timeout and regrouping so we can make a comeback in a game where coach called a timeout and we made a comeback. Its not like he chose to call the timeout too late either because we came all the way back to the point where we were tied with over 4 minutes left in the game. His use of timeouts didn’t cost us anything. I think we have all heard coach get criticized for his use of timeouts before, but this is simply not the game to pull that argument out because it does not apply here.

Comment

• proshox
        proshox commented
        Editing a comment
        You further prove your lack of understanding of Ref’s point.

There were simple adjustments that needed to be made prior to losing the lead. The second Memphis started pressing we needed to get JB back in the game.

1989 commented
        Editing a comment
        That is not the argument he made. He made the argument that coach should have called a timeout earlier than he did so we can regroup and make a comeback. You are doing the exact same thing that ref is doing. That is, you are complaining about coach not doing crap that he did do. He did get JB back into the game after Memphis started to press. JB came in 3 mins into the second half when Memphis went to the line while we were still up by 1.
        Last edited by 1989; February 24, 2019, 05:23 PM.

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
        GreatWhiteBuffalo commented
        Editing a comment
        When that lead went from 3 to 6, the TO should have been called...definitely when it got to 9. I get that Marshall wants the guys to learn to fight through adversity, but the timeouts are there for a reason.

• Originally posted by Chickenhawk hunter View Post
      In my opinion, I still say this team will be better without MM and SMHJ, The problem we have with these two is not that they are not good teammates. The problem is they are not go to players with HBIQ. Stupid decisions down the stretch and not driving and dishing to the open guy. Not looking for the better shot. We continue to make freshman mistakes from senior personnel. I blame not only these two for not being better at decision making but HCGM for not telling these guys to be better teammates. Our freshman have struggled no doubt, but they share the ball and try to do the right things. Our seniors are selfish and try to do too much. JMO.
      I’m going to say this is nuts! If I’m Markis I say goodbye after the season and never look back. It’s one thing to assess skill level, which all of US couch coaches are great at, but this kid has been the connecting
      link to the past four seasons. You’ll miss him when he’s gone.

Comment

• Chickenhawk hunter
        Chickenhawk hunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I will miss him your right. I will not miss his leadership skills, because he is not a leader. He is a role player that has been put in a situation where he has had to or thinks he had to put up a lot of shots. There is no doubt in my mind he is a good kid, but a leader? No not at all. Leaders make everyone around them better

• This turned into a very angry thread. Is 5 of 7 really that much worse than 5 of 6? We're still just a .500 team with a bunch of first year players. Thinking we were going to sail through the rest of the season without hiccups was unrealistic.

By the way, that UCONN team which was supposed to be an easy win erased a double digit Cincinnati lead and is taking them to the wire. Nothing will be easy.
      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• 1. I don’t know how high the number got, but when they had missed 14 FGs in a row I had a feeling that we should have been far more in control of the game than we were and that if/when it turned it wasn’t going to be good.

2. People keep talking about the FT disparity, but it makes complete sense to me when (1) we have bigs that are still learning how to defend and apply verticality, (2) we have an offense that has a tendency toward turnovers and settling for jump shots (at the end of the shot clock), and (3) the two players taking the most shots are heavily relying on shot selections that do not tend to draw a lot of whistles. If/when all of those 3 change, it’s a worthy statistic. Until then I think it’s pointless to pretend it’s a reflection on the quality of the whistle instead of the quality of the offense.

3. Freshman. Newcomers. Freshmen. Newcomers. Everybody looks the same size on your television, but a 2-3 year age gap at many positions creates a lot of problems and challenges. I try to keep perspective by knowing that they are going to have Junior/Senior level experience by the end of their sophomore years (only 365 days away!). A lot of good things are happening even when the scoreboard doesn’t have the right number on it at the end.

4. For those of you obsessed with high fiving teammates, Markis got left hanging about as bad as possible.

5. Markis and SHJ were recruited to play in the Valley, and they would have done very well there. There’s a lot of complaining about them, but what were we supposed to do, run them off? I don’t like all of the shot selections, but I don’t think there’s an argument to convince me that we have a better record without them. It is what it is. Ideally I’d like for each of them to focus on what they absolutely do best - penetrate and kick for SHJ and spot up 3s for MM - and leave the rest in the locker room. Probably not going to happen without a big step up from ES/JB/JE... although I do think they’re capable of it and moving in that direction.

6. We’ve gotta have guards who knock down wide open 15 footers from the elbow at about a 70 percent rate. That’s not a crazy thing to ask at any level of college basketball. And we certainly can’t have guards who miss those two feet to the right.

7. Hard times define good friends, and bad seasons define good fans.

8. Special shout out to all of the Memphis, Illinois State, and other fans who hate our city and program for their masterful execution of buying tickets, wearing Wichita State gear, and booing Alex Lomax. The calibration was near perfect to make the fan base look bad, the program look bad, and the city look bad. No it wasn’t nearly as bad as it could have been, but there was definitely additional hostility. Not to mention the fact that if he turns out to be a player, he’s going to have additional motivation in sticking it up our asses at least 6 more times (which will in turn require more defensive effort that could be directed elsewhere). The kid maybe had the most bulletproof reason for wanting to renege on his commitment that I’ve ever heard, with the exception of a father-son coaching dynamic like McDermott. Some people can’t do the right thing even when that right thing is nothing.

9. I can’t wait for the next win decided by a single possession and this team magically turns into a gritty hard-nosed bunch of high IQ young men again on this board.

Comment

• proshox
          proshox commented
          Editing a comment
          Solve 6 and point 5 gets resolved for free.

• pinstripers
          pinstripers commented
          Editing a comment
          Jones was recruited to play in the Valley?

• Good News
          Good News commented
          Editing a comment
          Totally willing to admit if I'm wrong, and I admittedly don't keep up with the recruiting forum as well as I used to. But I'm willing to bet that if you identify the dates that (1) they identified SHJ as a prospect, (2) they were actively recruiting him, and (3) he committed, all of those dates are in advance of the first known possibility of a move to the AAC. Like I said, I could be mistaken but I don't think I am.

• Originally posted by Chickenhawk hunter View Post
        In my opinion, I still say this team will be better without MM and SMHJ, The problem we have with these two is not that they are not good teammates. The problem is they are not go to players with HBIQ. Stupid decisions down the stretch and not driving and dishing to the open guy. Not looking for the better shot. We continue to make freshman mistakes from senior personnel. I blame not only these two for not being better at decision making but HCGM for not telling these guys to be better teammates. Our freshman have struggled no doubt, but they share the ball and try to do the right things. Our seniors are selfish and try to do too much. JMO.
        I for one will miss MM. he’s been the target for all opposing teams and has done pretty well. SMHJ is someone that I appreciate him choosing the Shox after juco.

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post
          1. I don’t know how high the number got, but when they had missed 14 FGs in a row I had a feeling that we should have been far more in control of the game than we were and that if/when it turned it wasn’t going to be good.

7. Hard times define good friends, and bad seasons define good fans.

I went to 80% - 90% of the home games all through the Mike Cohen era. I was either a :

- good fan

- or someone lacking a life

not sure which.

If this is "hard-times"....we are truly blessed.

Comment

• I love MM and SHJ because they are Shockers and they have represented WSU well and worked hard throughout their careers. However, we will be a significantly better team next year and that is for a myriad of reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

I’m going to say this is nuts! If I’m Markis I say goodbye after the season and never look back. It’s one thing to assess skill level, which all of US couch coaches are great at, but this kid has been the connecting
              I already miss him. He’s been a great Shocker.

Comment

• MM and SMHJ have done nice things while playing here. All I was trying to say is that they could capitalize on helping this team be better using their gifts and talent. SMHJ is super fast and has handles and can be a good passer. He needs to do what everyone else does to us, drive and dish. Set your teammates up for open shots. MM gets double teamed all game he is the center of every teams game plan. Find the open teammate, that will then set him up for open shots. Use the other teams game plan against them until they are forced to change. I'm not saying our record would be better without them and I never said I wouldn't miss them, so don't put words in my mouth. I do think this team will be a better basketball team without them because we will be more of a unit. Record wise that remains to be seen. I like MM, and SMHJ and hope they can turn it around. At times it seems they have and then they revert back to playing what some have called HERO BALL. I didn't intend on hurting anyone's feelings, I am a true through and through Shocker fan and will always want to see us succeed regardless of what I think about certain players. Oh, and I know for a fact I am not a coach, just a fan who has opinions like the rest of you. You are right about one thing, I am nuts you can trust me on that.

PS: MM will say goodbye after this year he is a senior.

Comment

• Screenshot_20190224-193520.png
                The Daily Memphian is the must-read, primary daily online publication for intelligent, in-depth journalism in the Memphis community.

Comment

• If true, that ref that said he can't wait to see you in the tournament to the Menphis player should be banned from doing any more AAC games. That shows a bias. Who is this piece of sht?

Comment

• shockerfanmas
                    shockerfanmas commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's a big if. I can't see D1 college official ever saying that. But.. who knows.

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

I hope I don't miss him. If I'm missing Mark, then we are in for another troublesome season...

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdb View Post
                    I’m thinking that player will eventually greatly regret providing that quote.

Comment

• shockerfanmas
                      shockerfanmas commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm thinking you're probably right. If the official really said that though, he may also eventually greatly regret saying it.

• SHOCKvalue
                      SHOCKvalue commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah. Kinda indirectly what I was getting at.

• Stickboy46
                      Stickboy46 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ref should be fired. Obvious bias

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                    I'm sort of getting used to AM and JE missing gimmes at the rim, and MM doing his flip-flopping dipsy-doodle nothings in the lane, but DD missed two apparently very wide open shots not a foot away from the rim.
                    I'm not hearing people complain about Jamie missing shots am I? Surely not...

JE went 7 of 8 from the field last night... he's one of the most talented players on our team and has the best chance of making it to the Association if he gets his head right.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Topshock
                      Topshock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Haven't you heard, the AM apologist only refer to those two as one now.
                  Working...
                  X